Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Discharging batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 11:58 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Discharging batteries

By completely discharging/draining a rechargeable light, do you increase the lifespan. Perhaps not every time it’s used but on occasion?
Old 04-05-23, 12:03 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
By completely discharging/draining a rechargeable light, do you increase the lifespan. Perhaps not every time it’s used but on occasion?
Old time Ni-Cad batteries would acquire a "memory" if partially discharge all the time. The fix was to discharge and full charge from time to time.

NiMH (nickel metal hydride) and Lithium Ion batteries do not duffer from this memory and do not require a discharge.
All you will achieve is to shorten their lifespan.

Barry
Old 04-05-23, 02:49 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Storage temperature - don't keep them in the garage when you're done riding. Unless it's just overnight or something. Most flavors of lithium work best in the same temps people do: 25°C.
If you're going to store them for a long time, a bunch of months or longer, then partially discharge after charging them. Store them like you're coffee beans, in a cool dry place. Not the freezer.

Seems like - I've not measure it or anything - after a few winter rides and deeply discharging my lithium lights, the run time permanently drops off. Could just be the batteries aging. Not sure. I've not been able to discern what flavor of lithium they use in these lights. I see it listed as "lithium polymer" - what the heck is that?!? Must be some kind of catch all name so re-packagers can put whatever chemistry they want under the wrapper. I'll have to ask the battery suppliers I work with one day....

I replaced the cell in one of my 350 Lumen Cygo Lights Metro. I upped the amp-hour rating on the battery. Makes a huge difference in run time. If I can get my Light and Motion apart, I'll do the same.
I also finally - put a dyno-hub on my camper / tourer bike. I'm digging it.
Old 04-05-23, 02:52 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
LiPo

Barry
Old 04-06-23, 12:59 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Completely discharged is not recommended.

Suggest charging to 50% or just below and storing somewhere room temperature or a little cooler.
Old 04-07-23, 08:24 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
LiPo

Barry
wandering off topic…. ‘cause internets
polymer means plastic- basically. well, pretty much.
Looking at Wikipedia and BU, these are Li metal / graphite. Using a gel electrolyte instead of a liquid. Here’s what’s interesting- the articles indicate the operating temp is 140F. So I’m still unsure what’s in them.

Typically the flavors of Li batts are described like the BU article
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...of-lithium-ion

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...stance-or-hype

this is fun stuff
Old 04-17-23, 08:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
You did not say battery type.

I store my Li Ion unused batteries or devices in my fridge, not freezer. A couple times a year I check to see charge level, if quite low I recharge them. I have a couple of Li Ion powerbanks that are identical, but one self drains slowly and the other does not.

NiMH batteries, I also store in the fridge but I do not bother to check them for charge. When I use them, I put them on the charger first to top them off.

Some suggest that battery life for Li Ion is lengthened if you only charge to 80 percent of capacity. I have an app on my phone that buzzes when my charge in the phone battery reaches 80 percent during charging.

Lithium ion batteries that are discharged too low might never come back and some have a protection circuit to make sure that they never come back because they could be a hazard. I have had bulged camera batteries that clearly shows that the battery has a problem. They go to the battery recycle bin. A few months ago I had a real difficult time getting a battery that was bulged out of my DSLR camera.
Old 04-17-23, 08:41 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
My Prius has Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries to assist with the gas engine. NMH batteries were terrible in cordless drills, losing capacity after just a few years where they barely worked at all.
But the car never discharges all the way, or fills the battery completely -- perhaps 25% to 80% charge levels? That makes it last for well over 100,000 miles and 10 years or more.

Avoid storing the battery full or empty.

Lithium batteries are recommended to be stored for longer terms at 50% to 75% charge.
My Galaxy S21 has an optional setting that stops charging at 85%. That works great for me.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-17-23 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-19-23, 07:40 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
My EGO battery operated string trimmer manual says that if the battery is unused for 30 days. It's a big block of standard 18650 Li Ion batteries.

Do EGO batteries discharge when not in use?
Depending on the battery charge, it will automatically perform a self-discharge operation after one month of storage. After this self-maintenance, the battery pack will enter sleep mode and maintain 30% of its charge capacity. If stored for a month or longer, fully recharge the battery before the next use.