Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

DT-Swiss tubeless do I need more tape?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 08:35 AM
Sciguy 

Location: Constableville, NY between the Tug Hill plateau and the Adirondacks

Bikes: Fugi Jari, Surly Ice Cream Truck, ancient Litespeed 26er, Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hello all

I'm getting ready to make my first trial into the world of tubeless biking with my set of "tubeless ready" DT Swiss PR1600 Spline wheels. I've the wheels with latex tubes for the past couple of years but have a gravel grinder event coming up that's famous for snake bite pinching and feel that now might be the time to go tubeless. In watching several Youtube videos I've received the impression that the hole makes in the tape rim strip ought to be very tight fitting for the valve stem. The hole that the wheels came with is anything but tight fitting to the stem DT provides. So I'm wondering it it might be prudent to add some tape over the stem whole and puncture that. What say you experienced tubeless folks? Thanks for any informed replies! Hugh

Old 05-04-23, 10:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
The photo doesn't give me a clear view of the problem; are you saying that there is a gap between the rim and the tape at the hole? If so, consider that, when you tighten down the nut on the valve stem, everything will tighten up. In other words, I suggest that you give it a try as-is and see if it works.
Old 05-04-23, 10:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
You do have the nut for the valve stem still, right?

Old 05-04-23, 10:42 AM
Sciguy 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yes I do. It includes an o-ring as well.
Old 05-04-23, 10:46 AM
Sciguy 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The photo doesn't give me a clear view of the problem; are you saying that there is a gap between the rim and the tape at the hole? If so, consider that, when you tighten down the nut on the valve stem, everything will tighten up. In other words, I suggest that you give it a try as-is and see if it works.
The tape at the hole matches the rim hole exactly which is a fair amount larger in diameter than the stem. I agree that when the stem is tightened up there will likely be a decent tight fit but have been influenced by watching several videos that make a big deal about having a tight fit between rim tape hole and stem.

Thanks for the reply,

Hugh
Old 05-04-23, 04:48 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
That looks perfectly fine to me. I would whack that valve in and get cracking.

If you are concerned it's not enough seal, you could always pop a short strip of electrical tape across the valve hole, then punch the valve through that.
Old 05-04-23, 09:08 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
That looks perfectly fine to me. I would whack that valve in and get cracking.

If you are concerned it's not enough seal, you could always pop a short strip of electrical tape across the valve hole, then punch the valve through that.
I used to slice open a little hole, but read somewhere that that can lead to more ripping and hence air leakage. Now I heat up the end of a #2 Phillips screwdriver (with one of those long lighter/wand things) and then melt a hole through the tape.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-05-23, 05:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Stan's valves have a conical seal and would probably fill the hole a lot better than the valve in your picture. Adding tape might make some tires too tight
Old 05-05-23, 09:35 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Looks fine. I'd go with what you have as is especially if that is what DT Swiss provided.
Old 05-05-23, 12:00 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Looks normal. Finger tighten the nut with no tools.You might need to remove it sometime on the road to insert a tube. TL tires and rims are dependable and it’s unlikely you’ll have any issues.
Old 05-05-23, 01:23 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
The trick if it does leak is to hold the wheel so the valve is at 6 o'clock and bounce it off the ground a bunch to splash sealant onto the valve.
Old 05-05-23, 01:44 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
You say you ran latex tubes for about 2 years. From the photo, it appears that the tape is covering the interior of the rim pretty well. Is there 1 or 2 layers of tape on there now? If it were me, I would probably get rid of the current tape & start with 2 layers of the correct width of DT Swiss tubeless tape. It is very important to force out all air bubbles in the tape by using your finger or a nylon tire lever on the first tape layer & repeat the same very thorough tape application for the second layer.

if there is a void in the tape anywhere other than the valve you might find that the tire leaks a fair amount on the first try. Also, on first try if air is rushing out around the tubeless valve, don’t automatically conclude that the valve is the original source of the leak. Air can leak past the tape & in through a poorly taped spoke hole in the rim extrusion. The air has to exit somewhere out of the rim extrusion - the valve is one spot where lots of air can escape.
Old 05-05-23, 03:53 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
Absent any damage, the system is designed to work as-is. Try it and see if it does. If it doesn’t, futz with it then.
Old 05-07-23, 06:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I used to slice open a little hole, but read somewhere that that can lead to more ripping and hence air leakage. Now I heat up the end of a #2 Phillips screwdriver (with one of those long lighter/wand things) and then melt a hole through the tape.
Oh huh. Well that's something I haven't thought of. I've thought about how when I slice a little X in the **** that maybe it could expand eventually, but hadn't thought about how else to do it.
Admittedly I slice the X like a couple times a year so it isn't exactly top of mind.

The small screw driver heated up is an interesting play.
Old 05-07-23, 07:54 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh huh. Well that's something I haven't thought of. I've thought about how when I slice a little X in the **** that maybe it could expand eventually, but hadn't thought about how else to do it.
Admittedly I slice the X like a couple times a year so it isn't exactly top of mind.

The small screw driver heated up is an interesting play.
Not my idea - I picked it up somewhere on the 'net. But it does give a nice clean hole.
Old 05-08-23, 10:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
The lbs uses a portable soldering iron. I might repurpose one of my unused soldering irons for this purpose.

It sure looks to me like the inner hole is bigger than normal and will probably seal better with a stan's style valve. Looks like the hole was rather clumsily enlarged. I could be wrong though. And valve stems are expensive.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-08-23, 04:23 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by unterhausen
And valve stems are expensive.
I hope that was an attempt at humor. Fifteen bucks for a pair makes 'em one of the cheapest bits on a bike.

I like the soldering iron idea. Better than holding a lighter under a screwdriver.