Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

My first build

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 11:01 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
My first build

I don't know why I do this to myself. Building, making, assembling is always more difficult than just buying. At least it is when it's your first. I guess I just like to build things. I wanted certain wheels, groupset, ect. The frame I wasn't as concerned with, it will be replaced with a good steel frame in the end, when I can afford it or just run across one I can't pas up. But I do like this frame.
The rundown.
Tiagra 2x10 hydraulic groupset 170mm cranks, rear cassette 11-34t and front sprockets 50-34
DT Swiss 1800 wheels, Spline hubs
Bikes Direct Motobecane frame 58cm
Ritchey Ergo bars 42cm 60mm stem with +7 rise
Continental Terra 700x40c Gumwalls
A lot of new tools!
Things went rocky at first, I had the wrong adapters for the brakes, bought 142mm through axle wheels when my frame is 135mm with dropouts, and I crushed the headset. After I straitened all that out, it wasn't bad at all. It was my first build from scratch so I had to mess something up, right? I've put about 40 miles on it in two rides and I love it. it fits me perfectly. I did have a pinch flat yesterday so I'm going tubeless today, I am tired of flats and the wheels are already set up for it, as are the tires. In all, I'm pretty happy with my first build. She's a little dusty, and this was just after 20 minutes. We need rain.

Likes For Breadfan:
Old 05-08-23, 10:32 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Great first build! Messing stuff up or missing something is part of the learning process, much as we may not want to or much as society seems to lack any grace to someone in an endeavor that requires a learning curve. You can ride it like this forever, content in the result, or as you go along you can alter things or swap things out. I enjoy building things (bikes, primarily) as well, and I like pushing the build envelope, especially with tire capacity. I may not be able to do 150 miles in a day or two (thanks, knees), but building and riding one's creation is fun and satisfying. Enjoy!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-10-23, 09:51 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Thank you for the comment. I'm tubeless now and it has really made it much better. On to the second build. Addicted.
Likes For Breadfan: