Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I HATE when cyclists stop cars with a green light

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: If a car has a green light should you cross in front of them, even if waved to go?
No
72.41%
Yes
27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

I HATE when cyclists stop cars with a green light

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 08:12 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
I...Hate the rain and sunny weather.

Old 05-25-23, 08:18 AM
rc5781

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Most of the people who are incessantly attacking me and spamming my threads with insults are "in the industry" and have a profit motive. I get it. You hate me because I don't wear a helmet, buy cheaper bikes, do as little maintenance as possible, buy my tools and lights from China, buy my tires from Walmart. If I was in the industry, I'd hate me too, lol...
Old 05-25-23, 09:51 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5784 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by rc5781
Most of the people who are incessantly attacking me and spamming my threads with insults are "in the industry" and have a profit motive. I get it. You hate me because I don't wear a helmet, buy cheaper bikes, do as little maintenance as possible, buy my tools and lights from China, buy my tires from Walmart. If I was in the industry, I'd hate me too, lol...
Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Nobody hates you for any of the reasons you list.

Fo r example, I'm in the industry (mostly retired), ride without helmet, do all my own work, don't spend much, as my NEW bike is 20 years old, and may be the laziest mechanic here.
You get flak for the BS you post. You make up arbitrary rules then feel free to accost strangers who don't follow them. Then you post here on BF looking for support, and refuse to accept that folks disagree.

But, I still don't hate you and even offer my blessing ----- May all your encounters be with people like yourself.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-25-23 at 10:06 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-25-23, 09:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Inverse snobbery is never attractive. Nobody but you cares what kind of bike you ride. If I had to guess why few on the forum have any respect for your posts, I'd say because you obviously know little about bikes, ride very little, yet feel compelled to pontificate and lecture people who actually do ride and know how to fix their bikes. If you are truly interested in cycling, why not sit back, read and learn? If your primary goal is to disrupt and seek attention, then carry on as you have.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-25-23, 10:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

I thank you for not timing this post so I had coffee in my mouth because you probably saved my computer screen, this may be the funniest BS accusation I've seen in years.
First of all, not in the "industry", don't have any interest in your buying habits let alone a profit motive. I can't imagine why you think the argument in this thread has anything to do with anyone's profit motive. Do people in the industry have a profit motive in undermining the authority of the bike path crosswalk traffic light? Do you seriously believe that people "in the industry" are so afraid of your possible influence that they'd need to discredit you on an entirely non-economic issue?

Second of all, you are being "insulted" because you are being insulting, claiming people can't actually believe what they obviously believe just because you don't agree with it. You don't actually address the points they raise, you just accuse them of being dishonest, gaslighting, and arguing that 2+2=5 for the sake of arguing. This post is just the most absurd iteration of that kind of insulting because you've now come up with a completely implausble but insulting reason for the posts..

Third, you are posting stuff that's just plain dumb, like that a driver need only stop on a green light if crashing is "inevitable" otherwise. That's real-world dangerous misinformation. I don't hate you (you're awfully fond of telling people what you "hate", BTW), but I do hate it when people post crap like that because you never know when some other schlemihl will believe it.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-25-23 at 10:38 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-25-23, 10:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by FBinNY
But, I still don't hate you and even offer my blessing ----- May all your encounters be with people like yourself.

In a room with no sharp objects.
Old 05-25-23, 10:40 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,086 Times in 3,825 Posts
I'm not "in the industry", and never have been. I don't hate you. I just think you're ignorant and arrogant.
Old 05-25-23, 11:13 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

If a car has a green light, they have the right of way.
Please try to understand this...A green light means that a vehicle MAY proceed. It does not mean that they MUST proceed. That difference is important.
Old 05-25-23, 12:22 PM
rc5781

Originally Posted by Eric F
Please try to understand this...A green light means that a vehicle MAY proceed. It does not mean that they MUST proceed. That difference is important.
I agree with this. For example if a car has a green light and an emergency vehicle is trying to cross, the car should not proceed. Also, if someone in a wheel chair began crossing a crosswalk and was unable to reach the other side before the green light appears for the car, the car should allow pedestrians and cyclists to FINISH crossing.

Cyclists can't act like they're emergency vehicles and stop traffic with a green light.
Old 05-25-23, 12:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...Hi. What's this thread about ?
Old 05-25-23, 12:41 PM
rc5781

Let's take the scenario where there's only one car, they stop for you and wave you on. I can concede that that may be legal, but I think it's ill-advised. Because in the future there's going to be another car behind that car and a collision may occur.

The specifics of the incident I'm referring to: 2 cyclists aggressively approached an intersection where cars had a green light. One car slammed on their brakes and the other 2 cars behind that car had to slam on their brakes. Please don't tell me this is OK?
Old 05-25-23, 12:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - I was almost hit by a car, due to being waved to proceed, even tho I had a DO NOT CROSS signal & the driver had no obligation to stop

on a popular paved multi-use trail. I come to a 4 lane road crossing. I press the button & wait for my green or white, safe to cross signal. the traffic has no signals to stop yet, but they will, because I pressed the button. 1 car stops for me & waves me on. I don't see a 2nd car approaching from behind the stopped car, because they are some distance away & I don't know how fast they are going. I proceed in front of the stopped car, then realize there is a 2nd car about to zoom where I am about to cross. I stop & that 2nd car stops suddenly. OK all cars are stopped now, so I cross. next time, I'm, just not doing that. it's just dangerous & stupid
Old 05-25-23, 12:52 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Easy as 1,2,3!

1. Look both ways before crossing the street, even a one way street.

2. If you can't see, you can't go.

3. If you're NOT SURE, you can't go.

You don't even have to look at the pretty lights at all if you follow the 1,2,3 rules! Unless it looks like the traffic light pole might FALL on you there is no danger from that direction. It's the other road users that'll kill ya. Who had the right of way is your heirs problem if you mess up.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 05-25-23, 01:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The specifics of the incident I'm referring to: 2 cyclists aggressively approached an intersection where cars had a green light. One car slammed on their brakes and the other 2 cars behind that car had to slam on their brakes. Please don't tell me this is OK?
Can you give us an example were anyone in this thread said it was okay?
Old 05-25-23, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Let's take the scenario where there's only one car, they stop for you and wave you on. I can concede that that may be legal, but I think it's ill-advised. Because in the future there's going to be another car behind that car and a collision may occur.

No one has said that the incident you saw was ok, but it has literally nothing to do with the hypothetical "car already stopped" situation. As far as your first paragraph, "in the future there's going to be another car behind that car" is completely meaningless. I'm making my stop or go decisions in the present, not speculating what's going to happen 5 minutes from now. I have no idea what future you're talking about or why what I do now will have any effect on that future event whatsoever.

You seem to be stuck in a very pointless loop. Maybe just give it up.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-25-23, 02:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
I wonder if the 2 cyclists passed the OP as he chugged along on the sidewalk? Maybe that's what set him off.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-25-23, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm going to make it clearer why this makes absolutely no sense. In the future there will definitely at some point be a car behind that car whether I stop or not, and nothing I do in the present will foreseeably make it more or less likely that the car behind will get into a collision with the car that stopped. For all I know, my zooming through the intersection after he waves me through might actually make it less likely that he'll get caught by the future car.
Old 05-25-23, 02:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
No not at all. I am in the industry but the reasons I dislike what you say and do here have nothing to do with any of your reasons. You argue with everyone even those who agree with you, you are insistent your bad ideas and your ways are really the best with no real backing to them and you want people to discuss only your specific topics.

You only hurt yourself with cheap stuff and no helmets or maintenance, I don't care. You do whatever you want there it doesn't effect me or my being in the industry. I wear a helmet because I have a brain I want to protect some people don't it's fine it doesn't effect me. There are over 8 billion people in this world, if some people don't want to wear a helmet go for it it I encourage it. In terms of learning how to work on bikes at home, go for it more knowledge to more people. I enjoy learning and teaching. In terms of cheap parts it is your money you want to waste it go for it, you have the riches.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-25-23, 02:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw - I was almost hit by a car, due to being waved to proceed, even tho I had a DO NOT CROSS signal & the driver had no obligation to stop

on a popular paved multi-use trail. I come to a 4 lane road crossing. I press the button & wait for my green or white, safe to cross signal. the traffic has no signals to stop yet, but they will, because I pressed the button. 1 car stops for me & waves me on. I don't see a 2nd car approaching from behind the stopped car, because they are some distance away & I don't know how fast they are going. I proceed in front of the stopped car, then realize there is a 2nd car about to zoom where I am about to cross. I stop & that 2nd car stops suddenly. OK all cars are stopped now, so I cross. next time, I'm, just not doing that. it's just dangerous & stupid

My rule is pretty simple. I will go only if I can absolutely ascertain that I can see the road behind the waver, and there's absolutely no one else there. I totally respect that you might not want to go anyway, that's a personal choice and we all calculate our risks differently.

I did have something very similar happen to me while I was driving, by the way. Nearly got hit by a car in a lane that was obscured by the car whose driver was waving me on to go ahead with my left turn. I sit that intersection out now until I can see there's no car for about half a block now.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-25-23, 02:38 PM
rc5781

Can you give us an example were anyone in this thread said it was okay?
Maybe not. The whole point of this thread is...if you answer "yes" to the poll question, you are making this dangerous scenario to more likely occur in the future.
Old 05-25-23, 02:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Maybe not. The whole point of this thread is...if you answer "yes" to the poll question, you are making this dangerous scenario to more likely occur in the future.

Naah, I only answered yes to protest that there was no "it depends" option. Your point is an incredibly stupid one because all you've proven is you're not competent at writing poll questions or you deliberately forced eople into a false choice.
Old 05-25-23, 03:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...so it's about the poll ?
Old 05-25-23, 03:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The challenge here is that there are a multitude of variables that could affect how a bike rider handles the situation. It's not always yes/no.

The specific situation you described sounds like the bike riders made a poor decision that was possibly very dangerous. Based on your description, the riders should have stopped.

That said, I have been in many situations where a car had the right-of-way, but stopped (or waited, if already stopped), waved me through, and I proceeded. In each of these situations, I assessed the surrounding conditions, and evaluated whether proceeding was a good choice for my safety. Although I will roll through stop signs (when it is clear and safe to do so), my habit is to comply with traffic lights. Even then, there are times when I will ride through a red light (when it is clear and safe to do so).
Old 05-25-23, 03:05 PM
rc5781

If someone is gaslighting you, interact with them as little as possible...
Old 05-25-23, 03:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Naah, I only answered yes to protest that there was no "it depends" option. Your point is an incredibly stupid one because all you've proven is you're not competent at writing poll questions or you deliberately forced eople into a false choice.
I just didn't respond to the poll because neither of the choices matched my answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.