Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1" steel fork steerer tube tapered?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 04:24 PM
herbarium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm finished building up my girlfriend's MBK Super Record, she loves it but there is a problem I noticed with the stem and steerer tube. You can see there is a noticeable gap between the stem and the headset lock nut (same issue with other stems I tried). I think the issue seems to be from the fact that this is a small frame, and that the fork steerer tube is tapered on the inside. All stems I tried cannot go any further down the steerer tube.

It feels like the steerer tube is tapered on the inside and I cannot engage the stem further down. For example, I cannot slam the stem. Please see the diagram of what I think is happing.

Any help with this?

My quick diagram of what I think is happening that does not let the stem engage fully with the steerer.

Notice the gap between with stem and the headset nut

Same issue here
Old 08-25-19, 05:08 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
What happens if you remove the wedge nut from the stem, put it on the bolt, and slide that alone into the steerer tube?

If you remove the wheel and stem and look up into the crown, what do you see? Can you measure the bottom of the steerer?
Old 08-25-19, 05:30 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Be cautious that you do not try to expand your stem wedge in a tapered portion of the steerer, it will not be secure. Having the bars come loose is only funny in the cartoons.
Read and heed!: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html#danger
Old 08-25-19, 06:41 PM
herbarium

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
What happens if you remove the wedge nut from the stem, put it on the bolt, and slide that alone into the steerer tube?

If you remove the wheel and stem and look up into the crown, what do you see? Can you measure the bottom of the steerer?
I've removed the wedge nut and tried to slide only the stem in, it stops at the same area. I'll take a look with a flashlight later but the steerer tube does not look out of the ordinary.
Old 08-25-19, 06:45 PM
herbarium

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Be cautious that you do not try to expand your stem wedge in a tapered portion of the steerer, it will not be secure. Having the bars come loose is only funny in the cartoons.
Read and heed!: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html#danger
I should have looked at Sheldon's website before hand, that's exactly the problem I am describing. Sheldon describes this as a problem with smaller bikes, and this frame is small, 49cm seat tube.

What are some options for me here? Are there shorter stems or maybe a different type of wedge nut? I'm afraid that the stem only has about 1" of engagement with the steerer but extends up quite a bit.
Old 08-25-19, 07:17 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by herbarium
I should have looked at Sheldon's website before hand, that's exactly the problem I am describing. Sheldon describes this as a problem with smaller bikes, and this frame is small, 49cm seat tube.

What are some options for me here? Are there shorter stems or maybe a different type of wedge nut? I'm afraid that the stem only has about 1" of engagement with the steerer but extends up quite a bit.
When the stem is engaged properly, how far is it from ideal? Once you have a number, search for stems with quills that are that number or less.

The stem in the pictures seems tall for the bike anyway. There are most definitely stems with shorter quills.
Old 08-25-19, 07:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Good quality steer tubes are butted, and you won't be able to "slam" the stem into the butted portion at the base of the steer tube. Not, at least, without other serious problems down the road.
Old 08-25-19, 08:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I've cut down a couple stems for smaller frames. You just need to do a decent job of matching the angle for the wedge. Also verify the stem wall thickness is fairly consistent.