Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Compression plug vs star nut for 1" carbon fork

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 01:04 PM
herbarium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have an older 1" (25.4mm) carbon fork from Nashbar. The inner diameter of the carbon steerer is 20mm at the max. My two options are to use a 1" compression plug or a start nut, but I need some advice.

Since the steerer is carbon, I have always been under the impression that a compression plug is better, versus using a star nut for a steel steerer. Is this thinking wrong?

Should I use a compression plug? I am trying to search for ones that are 1 inch but it has been tricky.

I also have some star nuts that are for 1-1/8th forks, but I am hesitating before hammering them in the carbon steerer. That seems like the wrong thing to do. Should I use a 1" star nut?

pics below. thanks

Inner diameter is a maximum of 20mm
Old 02-19-20, 01:14 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by herbarium
I have an older 1" (25.4mm) carbon fork from Nashbar. The inner diameter of the carbon steerer is 20mm at the max. My two options are to use a 1" compression plug or a start nut, but I need some advice.

Since the steerer is carbon, I have always been under the impression that a compression plug is better, versus using a star nut for a steel steerer. Is this thinking wrong?

Should I use a compression plug? I am trying to search for ones that are 1 inch but it has been tricky.

I also have some star nuts that are for 1-1/8th forks, but I am hesitating before hammering them in the carbon steerer. That seems like the wrong thing to do. Should I use a 1" star nut?

pics below. thanks
Inner diameter is a maximum of 20mm
If you don't like the answers you already have, you'll like the answers you receive here even less.
Old 02-19-20, 01:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,088 Times in 1,182 Posts
My understanding is on a carbon steerer a compression plug is REQUIRED. A star nut is a spring, loaded under tension that pushes outward on the inner wall of the steel steerer tube and as such can damage a carbon steerer tube.
Old 02-19-20, 01:34 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
It's never a good idea to hammer a sharp metal object into a carbon steerer. Find an appropriate compression/expander plug or epoxy in a threaded aluminum insert. https://www.modernbike.com/cinelli-e...arbon-steerers
Old 02-19-20, 01:47 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
1" compatible compression plugs are available but I agree - they are most likely scarce. I seem to recall that I bought one from ti cycles ebay store for like $12. I'm going to check and see if they still have them.

Update: I just went to the ticycles.com website and found the 1" plug "headset compression plug". It comes with a top cap that says Portland Titanium and it sells for $18. The only down side is that it is not very long so it may not give full support for the stem.

Last edited by masi61; 02-19-20 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-19-20, 02:00 PM
Jonneh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
OP, you might want to see what you think of DaveSSS's method in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...n-steerer.html. It would avoid the need for a rare 1" plug, which will be even harder to find in a version that extends below the base of the stem clamp, while potentially being even better at resisting crushing forces (important, and a star nut will be useless in this function). I'm going to put my fork through the process soon, if you'd prefer a guinea pig.
Old 02-19-20, 02:26 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Hammering a star nut into any carbon fork will ruin it. If you can't find a 1 inch plug, then gluing a tee nut into the steerer may be your only choice.
I found a 1 inch carbon plug with one quick search.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 02-19-20 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-19-20, 02:31 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
1 inch compression plugs are out there.
Don't use a star nut.
​​
Old 02-19-20, 03:39 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I use this

Neco 1" 25.4mm Top Cap Key Expander Compressor Plug Bike Threadless Headset (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JYV6Z4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_80AtEb19P25NC

Cheap, nice and long to cover the length of a stem, knurled for solid grip.

I haven't had to retighten my headset in the 2 years since I got it. Prior to that with a rubber plug type, it would come loose every few rides.

I put a cooler top cap on mine.

Last edited by rosefarts; 02-19-20 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-19-20, 03:56 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
It's never a good idea to hammer a sharp metal object into a carbon steerer. Find an appropriate compression/expander plug or epoxy in a threaded aluminum insert. https://www.modernbike.com/cinelli-e...arbon-steerers
Yeah, it is kind of scary to see "hammer" and "carbon steerer" in the same sentence.
Old 02-19-20, 04:54 PM
herbarium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I use this

Neco 1" 25.4mm Top Cap Key Expander Compressor Plug Bike Threadless Headset (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JYV6Z4..._80AtEb19P25NC

Cheap, nice and long to cover the length of a stem, knurled for solid grip.

I haven't had to retighten my headset in the 2 years since I got it. Prior to that with a rubber plug type, it would come loose every few rides.

I put a cooler top cap on mine.
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My understanding is on a carbon steerer a compression plug is REQUIRED. A star nut is a spring, loaded under tension that pushes outward on the inner wall of the steel steerer tube and as such can damage a carbon steerer tube.
Originally Posted by masi61
1" compatible compression plugs are available but I agree - they are most likely scarce. I seem to recall that I bought one from ti cycles ebay store for like $12. I'm going to check and see if they still have them.

Update: I just went to the ticycles.com website and found the 1" plug "headset compression plug". It comes with a top cap that says Portland Titanium and it sells for $18. The only down side is that it is not very long so it may not give full support for the stem.
Thanks for the recommendations on these compression plugs! It's the kind of info I was looking for. I went ahead and ordered the longer one to make sure that the stem is supported.
Old 03-04-20, 11:57 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
1" compression plug

It's been about a year since I shopped for one so I can't remember details. But I wanted a long one so I ordered a couple different ones from Amazon and eBay just to compare. Give that a look-see. Order a couple of different ones and return the one that you don't use.

Also from my experience (below), I know that Chain Rraction sells - or used to- a very nice, long 1" plug.

​Turns out the full carbon fork I bought (Columbus Minimal- beautiful fork) came with a plug which wasn't clear on the product description on the Chain Rraction website. So I just returned the other ones is ordered while waiting for the fork to come.

​​​​​​