Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Old Schwinn Trike rebuild

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-23, 12:59 AM
JypsyDanger

Bikes: Dyno Bazooka, Various Mongoos", Dynos VFR, Schwinn Meridian Trike & Schwinn Town & Country Trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello, I have a Schwinn town and country tricycle i believe it's from the 70's. I want to know a few different things about the BB and other parts. But first I would like to ask if anyone knows how I should go about changing the BB for an easier pedal.
Old 07-09-23, 08:00 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Post Here.
Bicycle Mechanics - Bike Forums

Old 07-09-23, 11:32 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
You trying to keep it original looking? If it is the standard one piece crank, you can use a bmx setup.
Old 07-09-23, 03:12 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Welcome @JypsyDanger . You are most likely to only need to remove the original crank, then clean and grease the bearings. Unless it has been damaged the original crank should be good.

Those Town and Countries are good trikes. I don't even know if a new trike is as good as these were. These have a differential whereas most trikes have one wheel drive and of course there is the Schwinn built to last strength.

You are going to get far more responses in Bike Mechanics or even Classic and Vintage.

By the way, does it still have the basket on the back? Those can be precious.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 07-10-23, 08:21 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Pictures of each trike from 1968 to 1982

Schwinn made this model from 1968 to 1982. You can see each year's model here https://bikehistory.org/bikes/town-country/ .
There is not much you can do to this trike to make it easier to pedal unless you can find a one piece Ashtabula crank with fewer teeth. You might be able to do that scavenging the crank off a kid's bike with a one piece crank with the same diameter and width bottom bracket. However the threads on your Schwinn are likely to be English threaded and who knows what the Chinese manufacturers are using these days. It may be metric rather than English. The biggest problem is the weight and limited gear range. They are very heavy. The listed weight for the 1973 trike is 62 to 64 pounds depending on the model. You may be able to guess an exact year for the trike by looking at the Schwinn catalogs for each year in the reference shown in the first line.
Old 07-12-23, 07:04 AM
CyrusBlack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although I have no answers for you it sounds like a great project. Looking forward to pictures.
Old 07-12-23, 07:47 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Welcome from SE Wisconsin. I'm sure you'll find your answers in the Mechanics subforum or maybe a trikes sub.

Old Schwinns were heavy, but well-made. I have a 1972 Varsity in the shop getting titied up for road duty at the moment.

Enjoy your stay!
Old 07-12-23, 09:54 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by JypsyDanger
Hello, I have a Schwinn town and country tricycle i believe it's from the 70's. I want to know a few different things about the BB and other parts. But first I would like to ask if anyone knows how I should go about changing the BB for an easier pedal.
You can look for a chainring with less teeth and replace it also. You would probably have to shorten the chain also.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-12-23, 02:25 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
I was surprised to find an article on Ashtabula one-piece cranks by the late Sheldon Brown https://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html. It has details about how to maintain or replace the crank and bearing surfaces. You can even still find replacement parts for the cups. Note that Schwinn used a different crank (28 TPI) threading on the bottom bracket. Anything as old as this trike would benefit from at least inspecting and re-greasing the bearings. It is also interesting to see that while the chainrings use standard spacing, there is an extra hole in the chainring for the drive pin. That would mean you can't just substitute a modern chainring but can still find one-piece crank chainrings on eBay for around $15. The fewest teeth I see is 32 https://www.ebay.com/itm/322352869383.

If you disassemble and pull the crank for inspection and greasing, look for a date stamped into the crank and you will know what year the trike was made. Unfortunately it is inside the bottom bracket so you can only see it if you take the left pedal off and remove the crank. The only other place Ashtabula placed a date was at the drive pin but that was for later years. The company closed down in 1982. I remember going past the vacant building and still being able to read the company name on the building.
Old 07-14-23, 02:54 PM
JypsyDanger

Bikes: Dyno Bazooka, Various Mongoos", Dynos VFR, Schwinn Meridian Trike & Schwinn Town & Country Trike

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes it does have the basket with it still.
Likes For JypsyDanger:
Old 07-14-23, 02:58 PM
JypsyDanger

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You have been so much help and i thank you so much for this info! I dont know how to get on forums and stiff like that and i just seen all of these replies to my question and man my heart is thumping with just the amount of help from people. I completely forgot how to use forums or to think that there is a bike forum. But thank you again.
Old 07-15-23, 06:14 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by JypsyDanger
You have been so much help and i thank you so much for this info! I dont know how to get on forums and stiff like that and i just seen all of these replies to my question and man my heart is thumping with just the amount of help from people. I completely forgot how to use forums or to think that there is a bike forum. But thank you again.
I believe you have a bottom bracket clearance issue, so you're stuck with the cranks you have, but you can certainly change the sprockets.
There are a ton of kids bikes that are cast off and can supply donor sprockets in different sizes.
Don't try to use the bottom bracket unless you're swapping the crank too, schwinn was 28tpi and most everyone else was 24tpi