Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seat tube

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 09:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Bending is also mentioned. If the little triangle formed between the binder, top tube at the stays and seat tube at the stays is tweaked off center (bending from the two stay contact points) that is going to look like the clamp is a tiny bit twisted because everything is off center. Which is completely "possible".

I sort of doubt there is a perfect way to photograph this with a single lens camera.

Anyway, if you don't believe anything is possible, then you probably don't have a solution. I just don't know why folks here believe the best way to help people is to harass them and imply they are liars - then instruct them to scrap the frame.
Is the pot calling the kettle black? While I don't believe I've harassed the OP by suggesting he determine the problem, I compare that to your post which seems more focused on attacking me than helping the OP.

Please explain how you, or anyone can help the OP straighten a frame without determining the location and nature of the bend. Actually, don't bother, it was rhetorical.

Back in earlier posts (11 & 15?) I offered specific suggestions to the OP in how to identify his problem (or convince himself that it was OK after all). FWIW I haven't seen any comparable "help" coming from your end.

As for defending myself against your accusations, I don't see the need to. I have 2 signature quotes that apply here, relating to the importance of accurate measurement and proper diagnostics. IMO these are the core of good mechanical practice, so I prefer not to try help "fix" anything until I have a good sense of the problem, and I'll never apologize for "harassing" anyone in an effort to get proper diagnostic information.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-12-24, 09:29 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Is the pot calling the kettle black? While I don't believe I've harassed the OP by suggesting he determine the problem, I compare that to your post which seems more focused on attacking me than helping the OP.

Please explain how you, or anyone can help the OP straighten a frame without determining the location and nature of the bend. Actually, don't bother, it was rhetorical.

Back in earlier posts (11 & 15?) I offered specific suggestions to the OP in how to identify his problem (or convince himself that it was OK after all). FWIW I haven't seen any comparable "help" coming from your end.

As for defending myself against your accusations, I don't see the need to. I have 2 signature quotes that apply here, relating to the importance of accurate measurement and proper diagnostics. IMO these are the core of good mechanical practice, so I prefer not to try help "fix" anything until I have a good sense of the problem, and I'll never apologize for "harassing" anyone in an effort to get proper diagnostic information.
I am being critical of most of the posts on this thread, not just yours.

I have already suggested what the OP is seeing, and gave a recommendation for undoing it. The basic idea is that the bike is going to bend at its weak spots, and those same weak spots will yield in the opposite direction when similar forces are applied in the opposite direction.

What I am most confounded by you, in particular, is your statement that the seat tube could in no way be twisted along with a bend, no matter how slight. "Impossible". What an absurd and uninviting statement, precluding further investigation.
Old 04-12-24, 09:34 PM
Kontact 

And if the OP wants to get some more detailed help measuring the frame, I hope they still feel like asking here. Otherwise mauin1x is welcome to PM me.
Old 04-12-24, 09:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

To the OP.

Before you do any more damage (if you've already done any), you really need to make an effort to see where and how it's bent. Earlier I suggested you might use a bubble level to verify whether it's bent. If you need help with exactly that could be done, feel free to ask. Alternatively, here's how you can make a gauge to precisely measure and localize a possible bend.

You'll need a 3" length 2x4 or similar, 3 2" long wood screws, and helpfully, but not necessary, a drill.

Place the 2x4 along the seat tube running from the BB to end, best aligning with the part where the curve ends. Mark those locations, and you'll be putting the screws there as gauges. Drill pilot holes so the screws will go in straight, or just turn them in carefully. Either way, leave about one inch sticking out to clear then seat stays, and adjust to exactly the same length, using a glass table or edge of a door as a gauge. Now, this gauge placed along the tube would make precise 3 point contact on a straight tube, or not if it's bent sideways. (bends within the plane of the bike won't show, but they don't matter).

Once you've used a gauge to measure any bend, please come back for specific suggestions on how you might try to correct it.

Otherwise, feel free to take any advice here, with the understanding that you can't fix anything until you know if and how it's broken.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 04-12-24, 09:43 PM
FBinNY 

......What I am most confounded by you, in particular, is your statement that the seat tube could in no way be twisted along with a bend, no matter how slight. "Impossible". What an absurd and uninviting statement, precluding further investigation.
I'm sorry, that you have an issue with the concept of "impossible", but I stand my the statement. Read the post (#11) where I explained why and feel free to argue that point, but I won't. In the world of metals and structures, some things are possible, and somethings simply are not. We may disagree on that, and readers are free to read posts and draw their own conclusions.

I was speaking generally about the responses in this thread and threads like this in general. People talk to those requesting help like it is a scam or something.

Everyone doesn't know everything, but the people that come here looking for help have eyes and are being honest. A little more respect and a little less exasperation that problems aren't presented the "right way" would make this a much more useful and welcoming forum.
FWIW, I always assume folks are coming in good faith, and that they are reporting problems as they see them. However, I've seen countless threads where the OP seems distressed about something that 100% normal and OK. Also, while you seem to have issues with folks harassing OPs in efforts to get more or meaningful details, I consider that info fundamental to offering valid advice. Over the years, I've gone wrong more often by advising based on poor info, than by chasing more info.

In this particular case we still have no actionable info about the bend(?) so, IMO, offering help on straightening it, is either pointless or possible counterproductive. In any case, you might take your own advice and focus of helping folks who come here with questions, rather than attacking the posts of others trying to offer answers.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-12-24 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-12-24, 09:48 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
FWIW, I always assume folks are coming in good faith, and that they are reporting problems as they see them. However, I've seen countless threads where the OP seems distressed about something that 100% normal and OK. Also, while you seem to have issues with folks harassing OPs in efforts to get more or meaningful details, I consider that info fundamental to offering valid advice. Over the years, I've gone wrong more often by advising based on poor info, than by chasing more info.

In this particular case we still have no actionable info about the bend(?) so, IMO, offering help on straightening it, is either pointless or possible counterproductive. In any case, you might take your own advice and focus of helping folks who come here with questions, rather than attacking the posts of others trying to offer answers.
You have your head in a hole if you think I don't offer a considerable amount of direct help to a huge number of people with mechanical and fit problems. You are welcome to name someone who gets it right more often.

But maybe "that's impossible" or "junk the frame" are better quality responses.
Old 04-12-24, 09:54 PM
FBinNY 

You have your head in a hole if you think I don't offer a considerable amount of direct help to a huge number of people with mechanical and fit problems. You are welcome to name someone who gets it right more often.

But maybe "that's impossible" or "junk the frame" are better quality responses.
It's not a competition, nor will I argue with a straw man. However, we've crossed this bridge often enough in the past, so I won't argue the point farther. Followers of this thread are the ones who'll form opinions on who's helpful and who's not, and I'm happy to leave it to them.

Old 04-12-24, 11:32 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 337 Posts
Yes, being able to measure, either quantify or just to visually see any bend and correction is critical. +1 for suggestions on that.

Regarding correction technique, my thinking, rather than applying human force at seatpost, would be to use a correct size seatpost you don't mind possibly damaging, insert into frame and clamp, then clamp seatpost in a stout bench vise, and place both hands on the seat tube below the bend and pull laterally to straighten. If bench is not stable enough for that, you might have to orient so to correct bend you are pushing down on the frame. If you have access to a hydraulic press with sufficient space to place the frame laterally, and use wood blocks to both support the frame and between the frame and hydraulic ram, that can work really well. My method for this is, bring the ram down to contact, do like half a pump, and back off; Probably no result due to springback. Same thing, now a full pump, back off. Keep increasing very slowly until the tube starts to yield, and that will be your guide to how far to press each time after initial contact to get a result. If not a kinked bend but a gentle one, I've successfully straightened a trailer axle, masts, stanchions, to perfection that way.
Old 04-13-24, 09:01 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
FBinNY.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-13-24, 09:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I'm not sure if the important function of the thread is to validate what the OP can see with his own two eyes. He says it is bent - why not just believe him and answer his question about bending it back?
I did.

You were the one that initiated the conversation with me.
Old 04-19-24, 05:06 PM
mauin1x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for replying everyone

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
The photo posted by someone else makes it a lot more clear; I thought there was a ton of seat tube sticking up, but that is just the tube above where the diagonal seatstays pass the seat tube on the way to the top tube. OK. Understanding the design, the seat tube is very triangulated fore/aft, so I doubt bent in that direction. Lateral bend is a different story, the seatstays are small diameter so less stiff in both bending and torsion where they attach to the seat tube, and, the whole tube loses a bit of lateral strength and stiffness due to the intentional curve to clear the rear tire. Steel being very forgiving, very small strain (stretch/deformation) so no work hardening, I think it should be able to be bent back no problem. Essential before starting to have a way to measure, if not by numbers, just eyeball, like a good and long straight-edge placed along the side of the seat tube and the same side of the top tube and extending to the side of the head tube and checking gap or interference there, then switching to the opposite side and comparing, or just eyeballing the seat tube directly for straightness, they used to straighten 1903-A3 Springfield gun barrels after turning that way, which is why the outside seems uneven when re-turning the outside to sporterize the rifle.

EDIT: The OP never claimed the frame is steel. It could be aluminum, which would be easier to yield in bending and torsion, especially since those tubes are not very oversize. Also, according to someone else's pic, it looks to be a track frame, so it may be built racer-light.
Thanks for replying everyone! Yes its steel track frame and the curved seat tube makes it hard to see the bent but I think I saw a couple of you noticed it. The model is a Toto Tomcat Elegante. Yea any tips on any diy tools or something to twist it back would be great. It was fine until I removed a seat post that went too far down without a clamp and got stuck/seized in the seat tube
Old 04-19-24, 06:17 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by mauin1x
Thanks for replying everyone! Yes its steel track frame and the curved seat tube makes it hard to see the bent but I think I saw a couple of you noticed it. The model is a Toto Tomcat Elegante. Yea any tips on any diy tools or something to twist it back would be great. It was fine until I removed a seat post that went too far down without a clamp and got stuck/seized in the seat tube
Please see my post #33, not the part about using a hydraulic press, but above that, about clamping a seatpost (that you don't mind harming) in a vise and using your hands on the seat tube; The delicate part about straightening a tube, is avoiding point-pressure on the side of the tube and denting it, rather than straightening it; Using your hands on the seat tube makes denting nearly impossible. However, you might not have sufficient hand and arm strength to accomplish the straightening; If so, it may be possible to use a lever arm to do so, such as a long tubafor (2x4) edgewise for best stiffness and strength, with one part touching on the bottom bracket shell on the side in the direction of bend, and further up, it touch on the opposite side of the seat tube where the seatstays cross it, to apply a correcting moment to straighten the tube. This arrangement might not require clamping the seatpost in a vise, but instead, laying the frame flat on a concrete floor with the top of the seat post touching the floor, the long end of your 2x4 lever arm touching the floor, and using your foot to carefully apply weight on the 2x4 where it crosses the seat tube; Thus, your vertical foot force is converted to a bending moment. But I don't know if a straight 2x4 can contact both the side of the BB shell and the opposite side of the chainstay at the seat tube, probably not, so you may need to add a wood block to one or both ends of the long 2x4 for contact.

Or, take it to a someone very experienced in frame straightening.

Do not try to apply any heat to the frame to lower the yield strength of the tube to make straightening easier; If it is brazed together it could melt that, and may weaken the steel tubing if reaching annealing temp. A qualified frame builder or someone with a lot of frame straightening experience, will have better knowledge about this and whether heat could be used or not.

That's all I got.