Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cheap Walmart bike upgrade list

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 04:43 AM
robcor2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everyone, not a newbie here, but it's been so long, I feel new. Let's say born again rider. Really glad to be back on bike after cancer and other health issues. I currently own a early 2000s Jamis converted to LHT setup, and a 1987 Fuji Roubaix.

This bike is a recent model Kent Ridgeland Single speed.

https://kent.bike/products/kent-ridgeland

I bought this bike as a package with a helmet, lock, and car rack for $100. I needed the other things so the bike was in essence, FREE!! I love being frugal. This bike will serve as a loaner for out of town guests, my back-up at 6am when I notice a flat tire on my Roubaix, and eventually my commuter (6 miles RT flat) during rain. I'm in PNW.

I'm aware of it's cheap and heavy parts, and although weight is not the primary issue, is important. I hope to upgrade this bike over time to be unique, durable and easy to maintain.

​​​​​​A problem I noticed right away was break squeal. The bike has only been ridden a couple times. Cheap painted rims?

I bought some cheap plastic fenders to go on it in addition to a more comfy seat, yet to arrive, as well as Zinn book on maintenance.

I hope to be able to buy all parts either used (off marketplace) or new off Amazon. I would like to incrementally start with most important items first that will increase durability. Over time there really is no set limit on budget because maintenance is neverending, but don't mind spending 100 here or there when needed.

I'm looking for
ideas where to start and order of thigs
Ideas WHICH parts are good deals and where to obtain
Eventually, how to do certain projects that I currently don't

Can this bike be upgraded in the rear to accommodate gears? If so, best option?
I am not set up to be able to true wheels, so I imagine I'll need wheels soon ish that are indestructo.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-14-24, 05:01 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
I take a different tack with beater bikes. Basically, I don't do ANY upgrades, save possibly the saddle, and ride until something needs replacement, at which time I'll go with something better.

What's the old Gallo slogan? I replace no part before it's time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-14-24, 05:15 AM
robcor2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, maybe an idea of which parts likely to break first? Need to have it reasonably durable by next rainy season. Since, I want parts on the cheap buying when available vs needed will save cash.
Old 04-14-24, 05:16 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I'd work on the brake noise and forget trying to upgrade anything. The brakes could be noisy due to one or a combination of factors. Hard pads, pads not aligned, or loose parts etc.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-14-24, 05:21 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 392 Posts
As far as what will break first, I’d replace freewheel and bottom bracket. For safety, the whole brake system ideally. Trying to convert it to a geared bike will be way too costly - sell it and buy another cheap bike if that’s your goal.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-14-24, 05:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,452 Times in 2,771 Posts
That's a nice blue! I'd say ride it until something brakes, then find another if you enjoyed the ride.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-14-24, 05:30 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by robcor2
Okay, maybe an idea of which parts likely to break first? .....
Impossible to predict. Keep in mind that this is a very simple bike without things like derailleurs which may be delicate or finicky.

I'd make sure the wheels are true and tight. Likewise all hardware, since something loosening and falling off is common on big box bikes.

Saddles tend to fall apart, and after that, I'd guess the pedals will go first.

Given the weather, I'd make sure all bearings are well lubricated.

With decent care this bike will.surprise you. It's easy to call them crap, and in many ways they are, but these crappy bikes are the mainstay transport for low pay workers throughout the US, being cheaper than the bus (if there is one at night) and typically last long enough to pay for themselves, and to get replaced outright when broken.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 04-14-24, 05:31 AM
robcor2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboy314
As far as what will break first, I’d replace freewheel and bottom bracket. For safety, the whole brake system ideally. Trying to convert it to a geared bike will be way too costly - sell it and buy another cheap bike if that’s your goal.
That answers major question, since I don't need gears..... yet, I need another bike also😁😉

​​​​​​Any suggestions on what brakes to look for?
Old 04-14-24, 06:26 AM
bboy314

That answers major question, since I don't need gears..... yet, I need another bike also😁😉

​​​​​​Any suggestions on what brakes to look for?
Tektro will probably have something that works. You need to make sure to get the proper reach, and check whether you need nutted or recessed nut (probably nutted for this bike). Then any decent short pull levers made of metal, and new cables and housing.

If you don’t want to replace the whole system, you could start with just decent pads, like Kool Stop Continentals, and adjustment.

Edit: someone pointed out these are linear pull brakes, not caliper, so the above doesn’t apply. You could try Kool Stop linear pull pads first, but I’d just replace the brakes themselves.

Last edited by bboy314; 04-14-24 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-14-24, 06:59 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
The brakes on that bike look like cheap, stamped steel linear pull. They would be the first thing I would look at replacing.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-14-24, 07:05 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Is there a bike co-op near you? If so, someone there can advise and help you.

From the photo, the brake calipers look like they're made of the cheapest stamped steel, hardly worth working on. You might be able to see them flex under load. A co-op will have a bin full of salvaged calipers of higher quality. As is typical of those bikes, the brake cable housings are a little too long. Correct length will improve performance too.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 04-14-24, 07:20 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Tektro will probably have something that works. You need to make sure to get the proper reach, and check whether you need nutted or recessed nut (probably nutted for this bike). Then any decent short pull levers made of metal, and new cables and housing.
OP's bike has linear pull brakes.
Old 04-14-24, 07:28 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 176 Posts
Not a bad bike for free. I like the colors.

The thing is, if you start throwing money at it, it's not free anymore. It's sort of a "white elephant" - something you get for free but struggle to maintain.

I would suggest only buying parts for it that you can be reasonable certain can outlive the bike. Start with the seat and pedals.

Also, the free stuff helps a lot on any bike - good lubrication and air pressure.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 04-14-24, 07:42 AM
bboy314

Originally Posted by alcjphil
OP's bike has linear pull brakes.
Didnt notice that. In that case, any Shimano, Avid or Tektro brakes would be an upgrade, and cheaper than caliper brakes to boot.
Old 04-14-24, 07:53 AM
robcor2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brakes it is!!!
there is a co-op about a dozen miles from me. That'll be where I start. I really appreciate this.
Old 04-14-24, 08:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,677 Posts
I would leave the bike as is minus a full tune up to make sure everything is as safe as it can be on a bike like that and then ride it into the ground and dispose of it as it was designed for. During that time you will save money that you would otherwise spend on the bike and eventually put that money towards the bike you want that you don't need to upgrade. In this case the bike would be an upgrade as the wallymart thing was not designed to be upgraded or to really be ridden much. It is an expensive stop gap till you get the right bike for you.

If you are absolutely desperate to throw good money towards bad then about the only thing I might do is put on some nicer brake pads. Kool Stop or SwissStop are what I would generally recommend. A saddle is something I would only replace on a bike after I had ridden on it for a while after adjusting it for me and then deciding it didn't feel right. Beyond that replacing a saddle because you took a brief glance at it and said that has to be uncomfortable because... and whatever comes after that makes no sense ever (again barring some odd saddle with nails or something silly) because you haven't ridden on it for a long enough period with it properly adjusted for you. I am not saying that a wally-mart saddle will be of any sort of comfort but I can also not say it will be completely uncomfortable either as I have not ridden on one at all save for maybe a minute or two.

If you are building a commuter bike this is not a good starting point. It is a good starting point to figure out what you really hate on it and maybe what you like and then find a bike that fits those parameters but beyond that just ride it and save up for what you want. If you want a geared bike, get one as this is not designed to be a geared bike and while there was a kit to make a single speed into a geared bike the cost of it is way more than that bike could ever be worth even a whole pallet of them so it is not a sensible modification to do.
Old 04-14-24, 08:14 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The brakes on that bike look like cheap, stamped steel linear pull. They would be the first thing I would look at replacing.
Totally agree. It's worth getting some stout brakes with salmon-colored Kool Stop brake pads (which are better in the wet weather we get in the PNW.)
Old 04-14-24, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Okay, maybe an idea of which parts likely to break first? Need to have it reasonably durable by next rainy season. Since, I want parts on the cheap buying when available vs needed will save cash.
The most likely part to go first is the bearings and spindle in the bottom bracket, based on my past experience at the co-op. The bottom bracket in these bikes are made of a steel that really isn't. The bearings crumble to dust and the spindles tend to crack. The cups on the bottom bracket may pull apart when you try to remove them. The cranks themselves are also made of a similar material and tend to fall apart as well. The pedal threads are particularly delicate. The frames are usually okay as are most of the other bearings.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-14-24, 09:06 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Kool stop pads, look for a 3 speed IGH rear wheel.
Old 04-14-24, 09:16 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
remember the front brake does about 70% of the stopping effort so if you can't find a full set of brakes, just a pair, installed on the front, will help. And you might look for levers too, bikes at this level generally have very poor levers.

good luck

/markp
Old 04-14-24, 10:20 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Another thing I just thought of is the chain. The last Kent I had to work on had the worst chain I've ever seen and it wasn't just because the owner neglected the bike.

Old 04-14-24, 11:18 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
Sorry to rain on OP's parade but: I would not spend any money on this, save to get a a higher quality bike.

by the time you put money in like wheels etc your at a new bike price soon

Consider a used bike if needed

The way this could be sold for $100 is that every single part is the cheapest, lowest quality possible....look at how thin the brake arms are as an example and assembly is rarely done correctly

I have worked on a lot of bikes like these.....(friends, neighbors, relatives, bike charity) and parts strip, nothing stays fixed, and overall are a pain to work on as you get them working and 10 minutes later they don't

here are ideas for similar, some with gears some without.... lowest price with a ok level of components.... .(choose REI as example as they pretty common )

https://www.rei.com/product/100808/e...step-over-bike

https://www.rei.com/product/100808/e...step-over-bike

https://www.rei.com/product/184505/c...e-quick-6-bike

https://www.rei.com/product/184505/c...e-quick-6-bike

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-14-24, 11:41 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
I'm with squirtdad above. consider if you really want to put the time and effort into this bike

look at your local Craigslist and see what you can find for $250. Find somebody who can help you evaluate a used bike.

and bargain hard.

you could spend several hunbuck and many hours on this bike and it will probably disappoint you, or at least lead you to the place where you say "heck I'm going to step up and buy a better bike to start with".

most of us have been there :

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 04-15-24, 02:40 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 380 Posts
Find a bridge with a deep channel, look down to make sure there are no boaters or swimmers down below (kayakers are ok) and chuck that thing where it belongs, at best it will leave someone stranded, and at worst it will get someone hurt or killled.
Old 04-15-24, 03:09 PM
FBinNY 

Ignore the naysayers, many of which are too young to remember when "good" bikes were not much better than this.

I wouldn't spend dough upgrading, but this bike has lots of potential miles in it. All it needs is a rider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.