Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know what the model of this wheel is and how to repair it?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 09:16 PM
Friedrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 04-14-24, 09:22 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
not repairable Dead

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-14-24, 09:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
If those are cracks around 9 and 3, the simplest repair is a new wheel. Doubt there's anything special enough about the hub to worry about saving it and the cost of a replacement rim plus rebuild is probably the cost of a new wheel.
Old 04-15-24, 03:27 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
If you want an exact replacement, look on the Reynolds Wheels website.
Old 04-15-24, 06:19 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
What I get from the photo is one missing spoke and a broken rim. if the hub is in good shape, it can be rebuilt with a new rim, (any 50mm 24 hole rim does not have to be Reynolds).. It's the sort of job I do routinely.
Old 04-15-24, 03:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
You might get more specific answers if you offered details about what needs fixing.

All I see is a photo of a wheel, which may or may not be perfectly OK.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-15-24 at 03:34 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-15-24, 09:32 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 412 Posts
Cracks at 2:30 and 9:00 make it a very dead rim and at least one spoke gave up as well, probably can be rebuilt but not cheap, perhaps only hope is finding a good used replacement.
Old 04-15-24, 10:49 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 337 Posts
Agree with all above. Interesting failure mode; Usually rims fail by cracks at spoke hole. The cracks shown are in areas loaded in tension as the wheel rolls. The deep rim section makes it a lot stiffer in bending that way, and increases the tension loads on the inside diameter. (sometimes more flex actually reduces stress) So could be fatigue failure, or just pothole impact load, however given there are two cracks, I'm thinking fatigue. How many miles on the rim?
Old 04-16-24, 04:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Finally got a chance to look more closely at the photo. While I don't know what it implies, I find it very curious that the 2 "cracks" are just about 180 degrees apart, and perfectly straight and exactly radial. So I suspect something more closely related to how the rim was made than to some event later on.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-17-24, 01:28 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Finally got a chance to look more closely at the photo. While I don't know what it implies, I find it very curious that the 2 "cracks" are just about 180 degrees apart, and perfectly straight and exactly radial. So I suspect something more closely related to how the rim was made than to some event later on.
Straight and radial makes sense to me if failure due to excessive tension on the inside diameter of the rim due to high bending loads. Regarding 180 degrees apart, just a guess, but larger crack hitting pothole on bottom, and smaller crack due to high spoke yanking loads directly above on top? But a deep section rim like that is immensely strong (unless really thin material), so I think spoke would break before rim, but who knows. Crack at valve hole and opposite where rim is joined? (I can't see hole location) Interesting though. Gosh it's been too long since I studied fatigue failures, but IIRC, high peak loads, even if low occurance, can affect fatigue life. Then again, sometimes an overload can do the opposite, stress relieve the area to prevent fatigue failure, that happened with the DeHavilland Comet; they used the same fuselage test sample, first for overload pressure test, and unknown to them it yielded very slightly and stress relieved a high load area, then ran fatigue tests on the same sample, passed with flying colors. Plane goes into production, fuselages not subjected to same overload test, failed in fatigue on two planes.

I find part failure cases interesting. My equivalent of reading mystery novels.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-17-24 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-17-24, 01:44 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by sparkeye
Join us in unraveling the enigma of a mysterious wheel! As we delve into the quest to identify its model and learn the art of repair, let's not forget the joys of Streaming Binge. In the midst of solving mechanical mysteries, take a break and indulge in a binge-watching session. Because every adventure needs a pause for entertainment, right? So, if you're intrigued by both wheel mechanics and the allure of streaming, this thread is the perfect pit stop for you. Let's spin tales and uncover knowledge together! 🎡🔧📺
I guess I'll binge-watch Bad Breaking.
Old 04-17-24, 05:28 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I thought that at first, but they appear to be only approximately 180° apart and I don't think the crack on the right is straight.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 04-17-24, 05:44 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Those cracks only on the side facing camera? What's the other side look like?
Old 04-17-24, 12:52 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
This is a BF pet peeve of mine. Someone posting a photo that is usually completely out of focus, at a strange angle, at not enough angles, and/or too small to be useful, and then asking a generic question.
Old 04-17-24, 06:36 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
This is a BF pet peeve of mine. Someone posting a photo that is usually completely out of focus, at a strange angle, at not enough angles, and/or too small to be useful, and then asking a generic question.
Yeah, well....

OP's fairly new, maybe's just curious or asking "for a friend" kinda thing.

I'd like to see a couple close-ups too of those cracks, and some taken of the other side where those cracks appear. Maybe the broken spoke's hole as well.

We often learn from others' mistakes after all, don't we?
Old 04-17-24, 10:19 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by spclark
Those cracks only on the side facing camera? What's the other side look like?
Darned good question. If the cracks on this side were on the rim flange, it might be different on the other side. But since the crack is originating from the inner V of the rim where both sides converge, I think very likely the crack exists on both sides. However, if there were no cracks on the other side, that's important, as it may indicate lateral forces on the rim, either high magnitude and/or high occurance, instead of the crack being from radial forces. Like from using the wheel as fulcrum points to straighten a bent frame. (referencing another thread)