Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Custom Tool roll?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Custom Tool roll?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Custom Tool roll?

I just got myself a Wheels MFG headset press and want to get a small cloth tool roll for it so I can throw it in my rolling tool box and not damage it but also take it out if traveling and it is not needed. Kaizen foam isn't quite what I want and I really want the roll to just fit everything I am not really planning on adding anything else to the roll so literally just what comes in the case and want to keep each piece separate. I am fine with something pre-made as well but figure I might need a custom thing. I am not super concerned with cost but also don't want to spend more than the tool costs at full retail for a case just for this.
Old 04-27-21, 08:48 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store and buy the largest size real leather chamois that they have. It will be a perfect multi-use tool roll. Plus it looks cool in the tool box drawer. I have three of them in my tool chest. I fold in the top and bottom and roll the tool up and tie with a leather shoelace.

This isn't my idea. It is from an old-school auto mechanic I worked with when in high school. He kept his Snap-On torque wrench in a chamois.
Old 04-27-21, 09:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Check out 7TwoVelo, he'll do custom. I have one of his tool rolls and love it.
Tried to post a FB link but it doesn't work for some reason. Look him up on the book o faces. Great guy, he has tons of colors/prints available.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-28-21, 10:40 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
A leather worker should be able to whip something up.

I made this many years ago & it has worked fine.

Old 04-28-21, 06:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Thanks all for the help but no leather wanted. I wanted cloth. I will have to reach out to 7twoVelo I remember seeing those a while back but forgot about them for this.
Old 04-28-21, 06:57 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Try Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight.. they should have roll up tool bags.
Old 04-28-21, 07:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
Try Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight.. they should have roll up tool bags.
Correct they will probably have them but looking to just fit this specific tool without space for other stuff so it takes up less space but is also semi protected and will last a while.
Old 04-28-21, 08:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://buckyrides.com/pink-and-purp...tom-tool-roll/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-29-21, 07:13 AM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Correct they will probably have them but looking to just fit this specific tool without space for other stuff so it takes up less space but is also semi protected and will last a while.
You could make it yourself. Go to a fabric store and ask the salesperson to show you some material. You could also repurpose an old pair of blue jeans or a leather jacket from the thrift store. A suitcase or handbag could provide enough material plus some matching buckles.

You could also buy the materials and bring everything to a seamstress. Still plenty of those around that mend clothing.
Likes For homeless in ca.:
Old 04-29-21, 01:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
You could make it yourself. Go to a fabric store and ask the salesperson to show you some material. You could also repurpose an old pair of blue jeans or a leather jacket from the thrift store. A suitcase or handbag could provide enough material plus some matching buckles.

You could also buy the materials and bring everything to a seamstress. Still plenty of those around that mend clothing.
That isn't a terrible idea. I am bad at sewing like really bad. I think if I had a sewing machine that someone set up for me I could probably do ok but hand sewing and setting up a machine I am terrible at.

I have some old blue jeans that would work perfectly.
Likes For veganbikes: