Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are womens saddles shorter than mens?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 08:46 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts

I have a brooks finese saddle (for women) and just got a B17 for my other bike, not the one for women. The womens one is shorter. All womens saddles are shorter which makes me wonder cause I would think men would have more "junk" to bang into a saddle nose with and want a shorter saddle. I think the longer brooks I got should be more comfortable once I break it in because the nose of the brooks has that hard metal piece and it will be further away from my sensative areas.

I am just wondering if I should have gotten the womens B17 (the finese now only comes with titaniam rails and is prohibatively expensive) instead of the regular model. I've always wondered about why mens saddles are longer and it seemed like a good time to pose the question.
Old 10-09-06, 10:04 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The most common theory is that the short horn is better adapted to the wearing of skirts - as if I'd seen this in the past decade or more. In other words, tradition.
Old 10-10-06, 12:28 AM
damnable

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, there are many different womens saddles around that I have seen, a lot looking very different from each other. The only general difference I have notived is that they tend to be wider as the back, because of the wider hips women have. Sometimes they may even look shorter when they are really just wider.

Let your butt decide.
Old 10-10-06, 10:05 AM
8bit
duh-river foe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that the shortness is probably akin to the lady's bike, adapted to the use of skirts. I prefer the longer saddles, anyway.
Old 10-10-06, 01:18 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I'm hoping the longer B17 will enable me to adjust my postion on the bike if I want. As long as it's as comfortable as my finesse I will be happy, I went on a 35 mile ride today, the longest in months, and it was like a chariotte! I wore shorts instead of my "riding skirt" I would have gotten another finesse if the price was reasonable but I don't really need the titanium rails.
Old 10-10-06, 01:33 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by margoC
I'm hoping the longer B17 will enable me to adjust my postion on the bike if I want. As long as it's as comfortable as my finesse I will be happy, I went on a 35 mile ride today, the longest in months, and it was like a chariotte! I wore shorts instead of my "riding skirt" I would have gotten another finesse if the price was reasonable but I don't really need the titanium rails.
Those titanium rails add to comfort- They flex abit more so it is not just a "Bling" thing. I ride a variety of bikes and I cannot ride a wide saddle. Chaffing between the legs is the problem if it is too wide- EXCEPT for on the Tandem- you sit down more on these things. I actually use a Selle Italia Trans Am saddle- The womens version. Nose is a bit shorter but no wider than a mans saddle but that extra width at the rear of the sadlle does give me a bit of comfort.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-05-21, 09:49 PM
JohnTon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy guy on a Finesse

Any forum about cycling saddles will end up with “let your butt decide” - or some iteration thereof. I absolutely love my Finesse - originally I bought it at a discount, attracted by the weight saving due to titanium components. I had no idea this saddle is supposedly gender-specific. The male genitalia is one of the perhaps unsolvable issues when it comes to complete cycling comfort - but for me the shorter saddle feels great up in front where the junk hangs. I’m not absolutely sure the length makes any difference though - but - I can assure you that the comfort of a leather saddle will most certainly improve with riding, oiling, and judicious tensioning. I’m 183cm tall and switch my saddle from bike to bike - it is now broken in very nicely after three years. Replaced an Ideale leather saddle I had for 35 years and lovvved!! but it finally wore out.
Old 10-05-21, 09:55 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,742 Times in 1,014 Posts
according to my wife, the longer horn was more uncomfortable for her. After trying several including some women's specific saddles, she was able to find one that she felt comfortable on. But as mentioned, it all based on your body geometry and how the saddle fits that.

Old 10-05-21, 10:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
There are plenty of unisex and short nose men’s saddles these days. Maybe short nose for men who wear kilts.

Just bought a Selle Italia seat today and spent many hours researching saddles - bought a short nose uni which matches the spacing of my sit bones with a cutout to end all cutouts which matches my other Selle seat but adds gel padding for the sit bones.

Old 10-05-21, 10:58 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Biy, I do hope she got it figured out, otherwise the last 15 yrs mustta been uncomfortable...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-06-21, 12:00 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Biy, I do hope she got it figured out, otherwise the last 15 yrs mustta been uncomfortable...
Ride On
Yuri
butttt.... we will never know unless the OP sits down at the puter' & provides us an update.
Old 10-06-21, 04:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,435 Times in 2,761 Posts
15 years! How does stuff like this even happen?
Old 10-06-21, 04:24 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts
Bumping an old thread like this certainly puts you at risk of being the butt of zombie jokes.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-06-21, 06:32 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I borrowed my wife’s “short” Brooks. My junk package would hang off/over the front and dangle a bit like a teabag if I wasn’t wearing very snug cycling compression shorts.

It was an interesting feeling and provided great cooling airflow to the boys. I’m sure it looked ridiculous and might have been dangerous to the family jewels if I were in an accident….
Old 10-06-21, 06:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
I borrowed my wife’s “short” Brooks. My junk package would hang off/over the front and dangle a bit like a teabag if I wasn’t wearing very snug cycling compression shorts.

It was an interesting feeling and provided great cooling airflow to the boys. I’m sure it looked ridiculous and might have been dangerous to the family jewels if I were in an accident….
Interesting. I have three Brooks C17 saddles and one C17 Women's saddle and cant tell the difference. The women's saddle is actually the one Ive had the longest- Amazon delivered it instead of a men's saddle, I didnt notice, and once I did notice I didnt care.
The women's saddle is 2cm shorter, but the same shape and curve.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-06-21, 08:01 AM
JohnTon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
15 years! How does stuff like this even happen?
Well, if that query really merits an answer ... here goes: Shelby, you must be a young'n - relative to my own years of cycling experience (did my first 600-mile tour in 1970), 15 years is a fraction. And as far as I know, there are still people out riding bicycles; I am pretty sure I saw some just last weekend on the century ride I did. Maybe one of them can benefit from my experience with this type of saddle. Leather saddles do of course weigh more than composites - but this is one area where discomfort can truly ruin a ride, even destroy an epic tour - so hopefully we can help save some poor cyclist out there a sore butt, or worse, serious infections due to open sores. It's horrible if you've ever experienced it, and I believe leather saddles can be an important component of a comfy ride.
Old 10-06-21, 08:34 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Frau Toad swears by the shorter B-17 for her bikes, she claims they are more comfortable on the lady parts. Also Frau Toad will ride with a light skirt over bike shorts on these bikes while going to dinner, drinks, socializing... These saddles are on upright bikes (Pugsley and city bike); her road bikes have women's saddles, but not specifically shorter designs. At some point, I'll have to swap one of her B-17 saddles on to one of my bikes just to check it out. For my part, I ride a few different Brooks: B-17; C-17; and C-15 carved ... and each one of these saddles been on a bike that supported my butt for The DAMn (for what that's worth... kinda off topic).
Old 10-06-21, 11:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

OK, so you woke up one day and decided "I'm gonna join BF and revive that 15 year old thread, tell folks I like me some Brooks..." Got it. BTW,there is a current Brooks thread in 50+, enjoy!

Last edited by shelbyfv; 10-06-21 at 11:26 AM. Reason: alert to undead thread
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-06-21, 03:13 PM
JohnTon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
OK, so you woke up one day and decided "I'm gonna join BF and revive that 15 year old thread, tell folks I like me some Brooks..." Got it. BTW,there is a current Brooks thread in 50+, enjoy!
Just trying to be helpful / constructive. Sorry if trolls feel threatened by that 😈
Old 10-06-21, 04:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

^^^Thank you for addressing Margo's question, I'm sure she's appreciative.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-07-21, 10:06 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
according to my wife, the longer horn was more uncomfortable for her..
She is just trying to make you feel better about it......
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 10-07-21, 10:19 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,742 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
She is just trying to make you feel better about it......
, probably.