Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which freewheel for my 85 Gran Turismo?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Which freewheel for my 85 Gran Turismo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21, 05:29 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
my understanding is this is a redesign from the previous ones that had problems

here is recentish thread https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-again-2.html

and there is always the bit ugly, not as nicely finished as they used to be (made in china difference) shimano for $14 https://www.rivbike.com/products/fre...hg37-7sp-13-28
Sharts....I just noticed they aren't ramped like hyperglides. That....sucks
Old 12-21-21, 08:56 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Sharts....I just noticed they aren't ramped like hyperglides. That....sucks
I don't know what the heck they are thinking. The earlier generation had the nice ramps to aid shifting but the innards had weak pawl springs that broke (and left me nearly stranded halfway up Mount Hamilton). They then went off the market and came back with a "new improved" version that eliminated the shift ramps. What happened? I suspect that they just shifted from one crummy Chinese vendor to another Chinese vendor that had stronger springs but said "we don't do ramps". The springs haven't broken on my newer IRD freewheel, but the locknut did come unscrewed on a ride, vomiting ball bearings all over the road. Count me as no longer swayed by IRD's marketing ad copy. Here's what they say on their website, with my comments in parentheses:
  • Special teeth profiles (Don't look special to me. What does this even mean. Also, what happened to the ramps that were one of the best reasons for getting your earlier version?)
  • Fully chrome-plated cogs (That's nice, but Suntour Perfect and Winner cogs didn't need chrome plating...is this actually necessary)
  • Heat-treated for durability (Not sure I believe this...got any proof that your cogs are more durable? Is the chrome plating heat-treated? If not, how does heat treating the cogs help anything?)
  • Alloy and polycarbonate glass fiber spacers (Aluminum and plastic...so what!)
  • Double row precision bearings (Is double row better? Do other freewheels have only a single row? How precise is "precision"?...aren't all bearings precision?)
  • Labyrinth seals (Draw us a diagram. I didn't see any labyrinth seals when mine disassembled itself on the road. Does this keep out dust? dirt? water?...or keep it in?)

Last edited by davester; 12-21-21 at 10:28 PM.
Likes For davester:
Old 12-21-21, 10:15 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
davester well said. All marketing hype?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-21-21, 11:43 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I don't know what the heck they are thinking. The earlier generation had the nice ramps to aid shifting but the innards had weak pawl springs that broke (and left me nearly stranded halfway up Mount Hamilton). They then went off the market and came back with a "new improved" version that eliminated the shift ramps. What happened? I suspect that they just shifted from one crummy Chinese vendor to another Chinese vendor that had stronger springs but said "we don't do ramps". The springs haven't broken on my newer IRD freewheel, but the locknut did come unscrewed on a ride, vomiting ball bearings all over the road. Count me as no longer swayed by IRD's marketing ad copy. Here's what they say on their website, with my comments in parentheses:
  • Special teeth profiles (Don't look special to me. What does this even mean. Also, what happened to the ramps that were one of the best reasons for getting your earlier version?)
  • Fully chrome-plated cogs (That's nice, but Suntour Perfect and Winner cogs didn't need chrome plating...is this actually necessary)
  • Heat-treated for durability (Not sure I believe this...got any proof that your cogs are more durable? Is the chrome plating heat-treated? If not, how does heat treating the cogs help anything?)
  • Alloy and polycarbonate glass fiber spacers (Aluminum and plastic...so what!)
  • Double row precision bearings (Is double row better? Do other freewheels have only a single row? How precise is "precision"?...aren't all bearings precision?)
  • Labyrinth seals (Draw us a diagram. I didn't see any labyrinth seals when mine disassembled itself on the road. Does this keep out dust? dirt? water?...or keep it in?)
Yeah, I don't know, either. I've looked into e-bike equipment a little, just not deeply enough. Maybe there's something there?
Old 12-22-21, 07:57 AM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I was reading robertj298 's response on my phone in a moving car (no I was not driving, Mrs. PB was), and I missed the "in and out" play in the freewheel body halves.

It could be as sd5782 mentions above, that the bearing race/retaining ring is loose. However, I doubt this is the case and I would suggest that it has the wrong or too many spacers between the bearing race and the top "ledge" of the inner body.

There are at least two spacers and sometimes as many as four on a Perfect. Try removing the thinnest one and retighten. If this is two tight, remove the race, apply some blue Loctite to the threads, and adjust the race for optimum bearing performance.

Personally, and this is just my 2 cents worth of advice, a Suntour Perfect is a superior freewheel to an Atom or Maillard 6 speed. This is especially true since the OP reports the bike has been barely ridden. Unless the internals are loaded with corrosion, it should continue to function well for many years to go.
Is the lockring on this derailleur reverse threaded?
Old 12-22-21, 08:50 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
Is the lockring on this derailleur reverse threaded?
Freewheel lockrings are left-hand thread; clockwise to loosen.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-22-21, 10:41 AM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Freewheel lockrings are left-hand thread; clockwise to loosen.
I know shimanos are but I thought I read somewhere these Suntour aren’t
Old 12-22-21, 04:36 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Every freewheel brand I've serviced has reversed threads on the outer bearing race, including most Suntour models, with one exception:

Suntour New Winner. That specific model and only that model utilizes an adjustable bearing race and is clearly marked.

Old 12-22-21, 04:46 PM
robertj298 

Every freewheel brand I've serviced has reversed threads on the outer bearing race, including most Suntour models, with one exception:

Suntour New Winner. That specific model and only that model utilizes an adjustable bearing race and is clearly marked.
You are correct and also correct about servicing these isn’t for the faint of heart. I got the ring off and the bearings out but I don’t think I’ll even try to put all those tiny bearings back in all the while trying to keep them in place while screwing everything back together.
Old 12-22-21, 04:56 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
You are correct and also correct about servicing these isn’t for the faint of heart. I got the ring off and the bearings out but I don’t think I’ll even try to put all those tiny bearings back in all the while trying to keep them in place while screwing everything back together.
C'mon now, halfway there...

Last edited by curbtender; 12-22-21 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Add video
Old 12-22-21, 06:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,209 Posts
If RJ can do it, so can any other junk hack.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-22-21, 07:01 PM
robertj298 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If RJ can do it, so can any other junk hack.
I'm curious. Are you an A$$ on everyone's posts or just mine?
Old 12-22-21, 07:36 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Grease in the races first, bearings next, and Bob's your Uncle.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 12-23-21, 08:15 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts

That's true:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
suntour-new-winner.jpg (25.6 KB, 62 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-22-22, 08:55 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Grease will hold those bearings in place np.