Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Curious about Tracklocross bikes....

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 05:06 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I notice that in Tracklocross, it seems like the majority of riders use flat bars, while in ss 'Cross, you still see mostly drop bars (at least it seems to me). Just curious, is there a distinct handling advantage to using flat bars on a bike like that, for that sort of competition? I've ridden both flat and drop-bar singlespeeds offroad a lot - I like 'em both - but I've never ridden a fixed gear bike so I don't know how that compares.
Old 12-20-21, 05:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
I am today years old when I learned what "tracklocross" is.

EDIT: The idea of riding a fixed gear off road give me a case of the nopes.
Old 12-20-21, 07:16 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Eric F

I was just at a cross race this weekend, and there was a Tracklocross category. I watched this one rider as he tackled the course. I've also been following what folks like Squid are doing. I'm with you, I don't think it's for me, but it is intriguing!
Likes For pbass:
Old 12-20-21, 11:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I think that is the new trend for fixed gear bikes is long wide handlebars and it is also the norm for good reason on mountain bikes so it makes sense the two would diverge converge. It is maybe not quite the traditional CX race so they can do whatever.

Last edited by veganbikes; 12-21-21 at 08:38 PM.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-21-21, 07:53 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I suspect the guys doing this were using their old bike polo bikes. Those bikes were already geared low enough and just happened to have flat bars on them. Fixed gear off road is fun, but not in a group of geared or full suspension bikes. You have to be able to run your own pace without getting in their way.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 12-21-21, 11:16 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Wide bars give better control over rough terrain. If cyclocross racers were released from UCI rules, the bikes would probably look a lot like XCO hardtails. What makes the sport in many ways is the "wrongness" of the bikes.

In the cat 4/5 singlespeed groups I race in, there are flat/riser bar bikes. In fact, quite a few ppl just ride SS mountain bikes with 2"+ tires. There's no one checking tires will a caliper in the novice ranks.

I do like the spirit of the "fixed or slicks" rule in tracklocross: if you don't want to ride fixed, then you need to ride 23/25mm road slicks. If you do ride fixed, then fat and knobby are allowed.

I have been looking for a midwest tracklocross race to try. Maybe next year!
Likes For EnzoRWD:
Old 12-21-21, 03:09 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
I do like the spirit of the "fixed or slicks" rule in tracklocross: if you don't want to ride fixed, then you need to ride 23/25mm road slicks. If you do ride fixed, then fat and knobby are allowed.
Wow, I hadn't heard of that before! Well, as a fan of underbiking, I can appreciate this.
Old 12-21-21, 04:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I think that is the new trend for fixed gear bikes is long wide handlebars and it is also the norm for good reason on mountain bikes so it makes sense the two would converge.
fify
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-21-21, 10:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I suspect the guys doing this were using their old bike polo bikes. Those bikes were already geared low enough and just happened to have flat bars on them. Fixed gear off road is fun, but not in a group of geared or full suspension bikes. You have to be able to run your own pace without getting in their way.
I'm looking to get into bike polo and race tracklocross, and from what ive seen polo bikes run much lower gearing than a tracklocross bike
Old 12-22-21, 08:11 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
The polo bikes I've seen here (PNW) are geared in the low 50s GI, tracklocross bikes are in the low 60s.

Personally, I hate flat bars. I recently bought a hotmess of a POSeidon FX. It kinda forces you into a flat bar with the low headtube and pre-cut fork for a slammed stem. Oh yeah, the fork blades also rub against the rotor if you corner hard.
Old 12-22-21, 11:20 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

56...but love idea
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 12-22-21, 02:12 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
While none of this is codified, TrackloX and CX courses are often different. CX courses tend to have tighter turns, narrower lines, and less room in general for passing and riding abreast, while TrackloX courses tend to be more open. And because TrackloX courses often require fewer dismounts, the bikes aren't shouldered as often or for as long (drop bars offer a big advantage when carrying the bike). Also, the pulling leverage that you get from a wide flat bar comes in handy when you're overgeared for the climbs. That's my take on it, anyway.
Likes For Rolla: