Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike packing tips and hacks for beginner?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike packing tips and hacks for beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-21, 08:18 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
There is a sub forum all about this: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/
maybe a slight difference between bikepacking and touring, but for beginners it’s pretty negligible. Lots of crossover.
Old 12-30-21, 10:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've never done more than day trips and supported tours. One thing I've repeatedly heard is to start with short trips and lengthen them as you learn what you really need and will use.
My first real tour was a trip from Amsterdam to Paris, only requirement was getting to Paris before the flight left. Did it with a seat post rack, a back pack and a duffel bag during a massive heat wave. Would totally do it again.

OP, from my experience, stress less about the whole bike packing look. A rear rack and some panniers will do the trick and are available affordably. Ask for them for a birthday or holiday, they're a good price item for a parent to pick up. Being young, comforts like a mat aren't as necessary. I've slept on the beaches in Greece, the train stations in France and Italy, the subway in London and the parks in Amsterdam. Along the way I found youth hostels and campgrounds. Always happy for a small tent and a warm sleeping bag but never worried about a pad. Now I need one, but in my teens and twenties the ground was softer. Today if I was young I might almost go with a hammock over a tent. Food can be affordable but partially depends on how you do it. A small burner and a good size pot can take up a bit of space but there's plenty of pasta meals you can buy at the store for one that are cheap and easy to make with water keeping expenses down, same with rice. Take time to pack small, travel with the bar of soap your parents swiped from the hotel, same with the shampoo, take the travel tube of toothpaste, get the travel size deodorant, small hairbrush, if you're going to cook cut a sponge to fit in the pot and travel sized dawn. None of these things full sized weight much or take up much space but collectively they'll take up a lot of room, but if you do it right they'll all fit in a sandwich bag.
Biggest thing is focus on where you want to go and how you want to get there. Being younger, I found I liked having one way trips. Take a train or plane to a spot and ride back to where you had to go, round trips can be cheaper, but if I want to tour for 500 miles I'd rather go to a destination and ride 500 miles back. Only exception is that I want to tour around lake Ontario.
Old 12-31-21, 01:00 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
maybe a slight difference between bikepacking and touring, but for beginners it’s pretty negligible. Lots of crossover.
Many people use the terms interchangeably, as I suspect the OP is here, seeing as he has a Spesh sirrus 2 road bike. Either way, most beginners questions have been discussed at length in the many posts there: tents, stoves bags, food, where to camp, what to wear, how to plan etc...

I post there and do both traditional pannier road touring and off road bikepacking.

A good place to start reading.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 12-31-21, 05:31 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Two things:
Take notes. You have lots to learn. That never changes. Many people on here have thousands of miles of bike camping behind them and I'm sure they learn something new every time they go out.
Preparation is important. Most of the failures I have seen, even in strong riders come back to not making sure the bike is in good mechanical shape. Similarly, pay attention to your navigation; going 20 miles the wrong direction, then backtracking can tend to dampen one's enjoyment.
In general, I follow two rules: Safety first, because if it isn't safe, wee shouldn't be doing it, and, Rule#2 Have fun, because if it isn't fun we won't want to do it.