Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 08:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Admitting to one’s past transgressions is a risky thing to do in our current culture, with so much canceling going on. Bravo for taking ownership of it and making the changes it takes to get to a better place. Some people never outgrow the ignorance of youth.
It’s not so risky when you’re anonymous.
Old 03-31-22, 08:45 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Hey it is wrong and mean to insult other members, Let's cut Larry a break here, he was just proud of his riding and got a pretty ***** video out to people.

On a serious note, yeah don't ride like that. Premium Rush was fun because it was a Hollywood picture so you know it was entirely scripted and not actually real. This is just sad. Nobody is impressed by riding like an idiot and if you are you better figure yourself out there, bud!
people were riding like that way before premium rush. I’m very impressed with the riders in that vid and I’m not alone
Old 03-31-22, 08:54 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I’m very impressed with the riders in that vid and I’m not alone
I'm not impressed by fools, but you are free to feel otherwise.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-31-22, 09:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
people were riding like that way before premium rush. I’m very impressed with the riders in that vid and I’m not alone
The older I get the more I see how little it takes for many people to be entertained and impressed.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-31-22, 10:04 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
That’s kinda what pulled me in, at first. I was really impressed by the guys that rode like that and was flattered they thought I could do the same.

But after a while, I realized I’d rather be a little slower and more conscientious of people on the street than make another five or fifteen bucks at the end of the day.

That and after a few weeks I was less impressed by those guys riding like that.
One guy got into an altercation with a cab driver that resulted in him swinging a heavy kryptonite chain at the taxi’s windshield until the guy in there got out. He also got swung on with that chain. Cops and criminal charges followed after that.
Another guy ran full on into a lady and broke three of her toes.

I just thought it’d be better to go a little slower and take more care riding.
The money kinda sucked, anyway. I rarely made more’n a little over two hundred bucks a week. I got into the game in the middle to late 90s when the writing was on the wall. Kozmo gave us a brief uptick but then that flamed out, too.

Last edited by Rage; 03-31-22 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-31-22, 10:51 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Terry has a lot of cool videos and has trailed a lot of great riders, but this dude is the worst - he rides like an obnoxious asshat. Probably one of my favorites is Ana in Mexico City -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH6naRedhP8
This one is much better. She actually stops at stoplights. I have to say- Mexico City has some pretty decent bike lanes. I am pleasantly surprised.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-31-22, 11:26 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
I’m embarrassed to say that I was also a messenger in Manhattan and that I rode like that for a brief period of time.
In my defense, I was in high school/college at the time and was young and stupid and inconsiderate as heck.
most are outraged because it takes tons more skill and round things than 99% of bicycle owners got .........and the reason they ride like they do is because lazy A circles demand that their meaningless scrap gets delivered yesterday .... so give the courierS some due cause this is a bicycle forum and not an A&S grievance thread ... it aint easy being the proletariat
Old 03-31-22, 11:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
most are outraged because it takes tons more skill and round things than 99% of bicycle owners got .........and the reason they ride like they do is because lazy A circles demand that their meaningless scrap gets delivered yesterday .... so give the courierS some due cause this is a bicycle forum and not an A&S grievance thread ... it aint easy being the proletariat
It's hard to argue against such a well thought-out and articulated point. Chapeau.
Old 03-31-22, 12:16 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The Mexican girl was laying down some serious power. The tunnel w/o lights scared the crap out of me.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-31-22, 01:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Sorry, but none of that requires exceptional skills, just being a complete sociopath.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-31-22, 01:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Not that one.
I'd call the completely needless close passes and charging blindly into intersections the opposite of skill.
Old 03-31-22, 01:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
This one is much better. She actually stops at stoplights. I have to say- Mexico City has some pretty decent bike lanes. I am pleasantly surprised.
Better, but I could tell that they cut to the next scene right when she was about to do something "jackass" a few times.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-31-22, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The Mexican girl was laying down some serious power. The tunnel w/o lights scared the crap out of me.

She had power and she respected the crosswalks.
Old 03-31-22, 01:25 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
In truth, if you are the type messenger that is following traffic law, riding "correctly", being considerate of others you certainly will not be making a lot of runs quickly and probably won't be a messenger long. My understanding is that most messengers either age or nerve out, or get hurt bad enough that they can't. It is a dog eat dog type of business.

Have any of you actually paid attention to how the Amazon and FedEx drivers in your area act with a 2 ton van + parcels?
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 03-31-22, 01:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
In truth, if you are the type messenger that is following traffic law, riding "correctly", being considerate of others you certainly will not be making a lot of runs quickly and probably won't be a messenger long. My understanding is that most messengers either age or nerve out, or get hurt bad enough that they can't. It is a dog eat dog type of business.

Have any of you actually paid attention to how the Amazon and FedEx drivers in your area act with a 2 ton van + parcels?

There's a difference between not riding "correctly" to letter of the law and just plain taking stupid risks with the safety of your own and others for no good end. The OP rider clearly crossed that line.

No idea what you're saying about FedEx and Amazon drivers--I've seen many, many of them, and I've never seen them do anything even remotely that risky.
Old 03-31-22, 02:19 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Aside from double-parking (which is legal for them) I honestly have not seen Amazon and FedEx drivers do anything even remotely like what these bike messengers are doing. In fact, even cab drivers, who actually have to pay out of pocket for every minute they spend in their leased cabs, manage to follow traffic rules much better than these bike messengers.
Old 03-31-22, 02:56 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
most are outraged because it takes tons more skill and round things than 99% of bicycle owners got .........
Skill?? LOL I've had that kind of skill since I was about 12 years old. I think pretty much all of us here could lane split or turn left against a red light if we needed to.

Cojones, sure, I could see that..... But the same could be said about Russian Roulette.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-31-22, 03:19 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by livedarklions
No idea what you're saying about FedEx and Amazon drivers--I've seen many, many of them, and I've never seen them do anything even remotely that risky.
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Aside from double-parking (which is legal for them) I honestly have not seen Amazon and FedEx drivers do anything even remotely like what these bike messengers are doing. In fact, even cab drivers, who actually have to pay out of pocket for every minute they spend in their leased cabs, manage to follow traffic rules much better than these bike messengers.
Eh, maybe just a GA thing then (I doubt it) but those guys run around here like they were at AMS all the time. It has gotten so bad on our street that I actually called Amazon. They pretended to care. Nothing changed.
Old 03-31-22, 03:22 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's hard to argue against such a well thought-out and articulated point. Chapeau.
Merci....................or should it be mercy me
Old 03-31-22, 03:32 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

There's a difference between not riding "correctly" to letter of the law and just plain taking stupid risks with the safety of your own and others for no good end. The OP rider clearly crossed that line.

You have clearly never seen that Kevin Bacon movie about bicycle messengers. I seent it twice. Eggspert level.

I watched half of Footloose and can dance like Fred Astaire.

/skillz
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 03-31-22, 03:47 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Sorry, but none of that requires exceptional skills, just being a complete sociopath.
a lot of prayers have been said and are awaiting answers for all those sociopathic bike messengers who done been hit and runned and ruined for pittances ...................................... and riding fast and loose for pay is real cool unless you really have to do it to get by
Old 03-31-22, 04:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Yea they drive legally and safely.
Old 03-31-22, 04:36 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Jacka$$e$ like this guy give all riders a bad name.

Dan
I think recumbent riders and the weirdos on those little wheel "travel" bikes are the ones that do that. 95% of cyclist are wimpy geeks, they wish that some fixed gear maniac would be associated with them. Trust me, nobody has ever seen the similarity between this guy (video) and some cyclist with a helmet mounted safety mirror and a reflective vest.

Just kidding. Sort of.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 03-31-22, 05:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Skill?? LOL I've had that kind of skill since I was about 12 years old. I think pretty much all of us here could lane split or turn left against a red light if we needed to.

Cojones, sure, I could see that..... But the same could be said about Russian Roulette.
it’s a learned skill, and unless you can do it on a track bike I advise you don’t try it on a geared bike or you might overextend and hurt yourself
Old 03-31-22, 05:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
The best thing about this thread is that no one seems to have confused cojones with cajones.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.