Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Problems Resolved

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 06:44 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

A couple of months ago, I started a thread titled, Tubeless Problems. Here's the link in case you want to go through it. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-problems.html

For a quick review, the issue was with a set of Enve Foundation 45 wheels on a new bike I took ownership on at the end of June. I am new to tubeless tires and had some problems with both the front and rear wheel. I finally got the front wheel to hold air fairly well, but the rear wheel just would not hold air greater than about 50 psi.

After meticulously retaping the wheel set twice with no great results, especially with the rear wheel, I brought the bike to my LBS owner, who sold me the bike. Over the phone, I mentioned to him about some irregularities in the inner section of the wheel, where the tire sits, and he immediately saw a defect in the wheel I had missed that was obviously causing the problems. He contacted Enve and explained how long I had waited for this bike and how I had some important rides coming up. After discussing the situation with Enve, they decreased my initial wait time for a replacement wheel set from 8 weeks to one week. The new Enve Foundation 45s came in, were installed about 10 days ago, and the bike rides like a dream with the tires maintaining the correct psi of about 70-80.

I couldn't be happier with my LBS owner and Enve. Everybody did the right thing. Everyone's customer service was great.
Old 10-13-22, 08:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I followed that thread, and appreciate the follow up! Glad you got it resolved.

Your post is also a great lesson in why a good LBS is sooo valuable. Sounds like they really went to bat for you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-14-22, 12:46 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Thanks for the follow up to your previous thread. I am happy that the shop and manufacturer both came through to resolve your problem. As a long time road tubeless user I was quite perplexed hearing about your difficulties in that thread.
Old 10-14-22, 05:07 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Wow, great story and Koyote is right, it really does highlight the value of a good LBS.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 10-14-22, 05:55 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
It's always nice to read stories about good LBSs as some of them are so mediocre nowadays...

After sale service is as important (if not more) than the actual service you get when you buy the product. That being said, chances are that you will most likeluy always go there for your bike needs from now on.
Old 10-14-22, 06:48 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Glad to hear it got resolved.
Old 10-14-22, 01:54 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
It’s kinda shocking, though, that a brand as pricey and esteemed as Enve would send out wheels with obvious defects. I mean, is the premium just for the brand name?
Old 10-14-22, 02:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Wow, great story and Koyote is right, it really does highlight the value of a good LBS.
Originally Posted by eduskator
It's always nice to read stories about good LBSs as some of them are so mediocre nowadays...
My fave LBS sent back a custom frame for repainting 3x because it wasn't up to their standards. I appreciated that, even though I was a bit disappointed that the framebuilder (a big and well-regarded one, at that) had such weak QC.

Originally Posted by chaadster
It’s kinda shocking, though, that a brand as pricey and esteemed as Enve would send out wheels with obvious defects. I mean, is the premium just for the brand name?
Yeah, that was my thought, too. Good LBS, bad manufacturer.
Old 10-15-22, 08:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Take it just as a piece of info. Enve is a brand owned by Anta - a Chinese based conglomerate, evidently third largest sporting goods company in the world, only behind Nike and Adidas.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 10-15-22 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-15-22, 05:00 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Originally Posted by chaadster
It wasn't that obvious. There were some irregularities (uneven surface) to that one section, but it wasn't so obvious until you shined a light at it. It was the combo of me asking my LBS owner what his experience with the uneven surface and then him looking at it with a keen and critical eye.
Old 10-15-22, 06:43 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
A “keen and critical eye” sounds like the basis for good QC to me. “Looks pretty. Ship it” does not.
Old 10-16-22, 03:24 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
It wasn't that obvious. There were some irregularities (uneven surface) to that one section, but it wasn't so obvious until you shined a light at it. It was the combo of me asking my LBS owner what his experience with the uneven surface and then him looking at it with a keen and critical eye.
I remember your frustration in that process. The worst part for me was that I took it for granted that your wheels must have passed stringent quality control and there must have been setup difficulties. I for one am very disappointed to hear about this. I think that wheel manufacturers should be required to pre tape(if needed) and test their wheels for tubeless integrity, especially for high end wheels like this. I have so far dealt twice with initial tubeless setup: my first 12 years ago was with a pair of Campagnolo Shamal 2way fit wheels. They came with tubeless valves installed so all I had to do was install the tires and pump them up. I had a compressor, so seating the tires was a breeze. Last winter, I received a Canyon Grizl gravel bike with came with tubeless ready tires, but delivered with inner tubes installed. However, the DT Swiss wheels were pre taped. All I had to do was pop one side of the tire off the bead, remove the inner tube, install tubeless valves that I already had(long time road tubeless user), pop the tire back on(no tools needed) and use my flash charge pump to seat the tire beads. I left it overnight and found no significant pressure loss even without sealant. I then removed the valve cores, injected sealant and pumped the tires back up. Rode all summer long without a care in the world. What I think is that if a company sells tubeless ready wheels, they should be tubeless ready and tested. The most anyone should have to do is install the valve after having removed an inner tube
Old 10-17-22, 06:28 AM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I remember your frustration in that process. The worst part for me was that I took it for granted that your wheels must have passed stringent quality control and there must have been setup difficulties. I for one am very disappointed to hear about this. I think that wheel manufacturers should be required to pre tape(if needed) and test their wheels for tubeless integrity, especially for high end wheels like this. I have so far dealt twice with initial tubeless setup: my first 12 years ago was with a pair of Campagnolo Shamal 2way fit wheels. They came with tubeless valves installed so all I had to do was install the tires and pump them up. I had a compressor, so seating the tires was a breeze. Last winter, I received a Canyon Grizl gravel bike with came with tubeless ready tires, but delivered with inner tubes installed. However, the DT Swiss wheels were pre taped. All I had to do was pop one side of the tire off the bead, remove the inner tube, install tubeless valves that I already had(long time road tubeless user), pop the tire back on(no tools needed) and use my flash charge pump to seat the tire beads. I left it overnight and found no significant pressure loss even without sealant. I then removed the valve cores, injected sealant and pumped the tires back up. Rode all summer long without a care in the world. What I think is that if a company sells tubeless ready wheels, they should be tubeless ready and tested. The most anyone should have to do is install the valve after having removed an inner tube
In a perfect world, I would agree, but we are currently coming out of the COVID production era. And this is especially true of the cycling industry with reduced production due to factory shut downs, reduced work force and significantly increased demand. I know of other well reviewed cycling companies that have been suffering some production quality control issues. Hopefully this will end soon, and more consistent production will return.