Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cross discipline training…… benefits?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 03:09 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I consider myself primarily a road cyclist and prefer endurance/distance riding when I can. Due to the traffic conditions where I live, I have to drive a bit to safely do my rides.

The wife and I recently acquired a pair of hardtail mountain bikes to augment our riding as that discipline is very popular in our immediate area. I’m fairly certain that it’s not my imagination, but I feel that the MTB riding is showing a slight benefit to my overall climbing ability. It’s actually too soon to tell but something is happening for certain.

I don’t know if it’s just the benefit of riding a bit more or the change of bikes/routes is providing its own advantages across the spectrum?
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 10-18-22, 03:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Mountain biking and other forms of off-road riding provide a great full body workout. Riding on narrow twisty singletrack with roots and rocks and other obstacles will develop bike handling skills and provide a workout which road riding can never do. There are definitely benefits to mountain biking and also it's ton of fun.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-18-22, 05:39 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I mountain bike and gravel ride mostly. I also spend one day a week rock climbing, used to be more like 5 days a week climbing but those were younger years.

While not complimentary, I like that I have a good mix of cardio/endurance, power, handling skills, and upper body exercises.

There is no such thing as a fast XC rider who doesn’t ride on the road a fair amount. However, plenty of pro roadies never touch a MTB. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that.
Old 10-18-22, 06:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
mountain biking is highly complimentary for cross training Besides improving your bike handling skills, if you do single-track the hard fast climbs will help with your road bike climbing and as mentioned above build core strength. Weight training for your core and legs works well too.

Old 10-18-22, 08:54 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Climbing steep, rutted, and loose trails will work you in ways that no road can. Fighting for traction and avoiding/absorbing obstacles while spinning a 30 x 50 can only enhance your overall cycling fitness and skills.

Last edited by Rolla; 10-18-22 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-18-22, 09:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yes. Riding a mtb will make you fitter and a much better bike handler.
Old 10-19-22, 03:19 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I consider myself primarily a road cyclist and prefer endurance/distance riding when I can. Due to the traffic conditions where I live, I have to drive a bit to safely do my rides.

The wife and I recently acquired a pair of hardtail mountain bikes to augment our riding as that discipline is very popular in our immediate area. I’m fairly certain that it’s not my imagination, but I feel that the MTB riding is showing a slight benefit to my overall climbing ability. It’s actually too soon to tell but something is happening for certain.

I don’t know if it’s just the benefit of riding a bit more or the change of bikes/routes is providing its own advantages across the spectrum?
Yes this is true. I rode gravel bikes on the road and then MTB for a bit. Got into road biking this year and found I am one of the best climbers.

As a century rider myself I got a whoop due to overtraining issues. This year I did a 35 mile fire road (not even hardcore MTB) on my mountain bike ride helping set up for a charity ride. My "strain" as detected for the whoop was higher on that ride than on a 105 mile century on mostly flat terrain. Trail riding, even mild trail, has far higher resistance, not to mention mountain bikes are heavier, slower and due to tires also offer more resistance. Plus all the bracing and ready position you need to assume is a different and much more intense cardiovascular workout. What's the adage, in mountain biking in the same time you go half the distance for twice the workout?

It's like most of the special forces and police snipers I know also bow-hunt and shoot archery for fun. Helps with feeling out your weapon because so much in the shooting sports is not your aim, but hold/grip and just conditioning your upper body to be able to hold positions stronger and more steadily for longer periods of time without getting weak or shaking. The cross training effect is real vs always doing the same thing.
Old 10-19-22, 06:03 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Any form of cross training will benefit your overall health.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-19-22, 07:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
good thread! fwiw - I didn't start crashing until I got on a mountain bike. ride safe!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-19-22, 10:53 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
good thread! fwiw - I didn't start crashing until I got on a mountain bike. ride safe!
Same. I love it, but I have to laugh when some MTBers say that they won't ride on the road because cars are too dangerous. But I've never had to worry about smashing my knee on a granite boulder or wrapping my bike around a pine tree while riding my road bike.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-19-22, 11:04 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
i'm almost certain it'll benefit to a point.

My cross discipline to road riding is competitive personal isolated over eating. CPIOE has yet to show a benefit, but I wont give up just yet!
Old 10-19-22, 11:36 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
i'm almost certain it'll benefit to a point.

My cross discipline to road riding is competitive personal isolated over eating. CPIOE has yet to show a benefit, but I wont give up just yet!
You might want to try several of the hot dog eating contests until you puke. The benefit is the binge/purge.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-19-22, 11:38 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You might want to try several of the hot dog eating contests until you puke. The benefit is the binge/purge.
only if it involves cheap malt liquor
Old 10-19-22, 12:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
used to really like the cart hot dogs in NYC with mustard & those red, saucy onions. 2 would do me fine now, but in my youth, I maxed out with (6) one day
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-19-22, 01:39 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Years ago, when training mattered to me, I did a lot of cross country skiing in the winter along with a fair bit of swimming. Both really improved my aerobic capacity, the skiing because it was a full body workout and the swimming because it trained me to breath properly, to take full breaths for when my face was underwater. I can remember on an early season, fairly intense bike ride where I was feeling really good, a friend pulled up beside me and she asked "how's your neck?" I said "what do you mean?" She said "I was wondering if it was sore from looking back to see where the rest of us are"
Another of our group was into short track speed skating. He would kill us every spring until we managed to get back to the level he maintained in the winter
Old 10-19-22, 05:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Yup I was a die hard X-CO skier as well as well as dowhill/Alpine. Great for keeping fitness and a nice break from the bike.

Old 10-19-22, 10:24 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Running is a good aerobic activity that builds your VO2 system and helps burn a lot of calories. It's a lot less time consuming than cycling too.
Old 10-20-22, 04:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

There is no such thing as a fast XC rider who doesn’t ride on the road a fair amount.
I can definitely relate to this. I went through a 10 year phase of only riding MTB (mainly technical forest singletrack and the odd bike park) and thought I was reasonably fit. Then I got back into road riding and was surprised to find how much faster it made me around my local MTB trails. I knocked several minutes/hour off my best MTB lap times within a year of regular fast road riding. So obviously the road riding was making a big difference to my endurance power.