Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

$1,000 derailleur system with 1930's technology

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

$1,000 derailleur system with 1930's technology

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-22, 08:31 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
So, that "hole filler" screw in the dropout where the RD normally resides -- is that actually an unusually-small-headed screw that fits the threads...
I'm sorry I don't actually know. It screws into the derailleur hanger (correct threads) but just barely sticks through. It was found in the 'small, miscellaneous & random parts can' in the 'big box of old bike parts' from under the workbench. Yeah, it's just there to protect the threads.

Best guess:

Old 12-12-22, 08:36 PM
tcs
Palmer

Several here are anticipating/hoping for aesthetic refinement. Here's what Mr. Heine says:

"The Nivex derailleur isn’t a prototype or a first iteration that will be replaced by a ‘new-and-improved’ model in a year or two: The system has been tested over 10,000s of miles, including Paris-Brest-Paris, the Oregon Outback and Unbound XL (above). This is the final version, it won’t change anytime soon..."
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-12-22, 08:41 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Lattz
So now if someone could explain me is it like
Rohloff and Enviolo

shifting? One cable for down and a separate up?
Desmodromic. That's fun to say. Desmodromic. Desmodromic.
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-12-22, 08:59 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Several here are anticipating/hoping for aesthetic refinement. Here's what Mr. Heine says:

"The Nivex derailleur isn’t a prototype or a first iteration that will be replaced by a ‘new-and-improved’ model in a year or two: The system has been tested over 10,000s of miles, including Paris-Brest-Paris, the Oregon Outback and Unbound XL (above). This is the final version, it won’t change anytime soon..."
Going back to my earlier post, this is what really pisses me off. Heine now refers to "the Nivex" as though he invented it. What he has done is build a replica using modern "billet style" NC machining where you start with a bigger block of metal and create a lot of chips. No tooling, little craftsmanship, just programming and a big milling machine. Those of you that congratulate him for what he has done might not feel the same if he was plagiarizing your intellectual property.
Likes For daka:
Old 12-12-22, 09:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts

The Grandfather of Parallelogram Derailleurs

Old 12-12-22, 09:08 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Rohloff and Enviolo

Desmodromic. That's fun to say. Desmodromic. Desmodromic.
So far I only heard that in the Ducati (and related forerunners) terms, but makes sense. The opening thing closes the counterpart and vice versa.
Old 12-12-22, 09:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by daka
... Those of you that congratulate him for what he has done might not feel the same if he was plagiarizing your intellectual property.
...you don't think that the international patent rights would have expired, since 1938 ? It's not like family is still making them somewhere, and one presumes that the guy who bought the remaining stock, Dujardin, ran out of parts long ago.
Old 12-12-22, 09:15 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
I like to look at old bikes. They can be interesting. Neat to see how folks back in the day tried to figure out how best to easily and consistently shift from one gear to another.

But this?

Just…no.
Old 12-12-22, 09:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by gugie
Operators at the switchboard at the Bike Butcher of Portland's Atelier are standing by for the first frame mod order.

It's not like I can't be talked into doing crazy stuff to a frame.

...I don't respond to an advertising pitch that does not end with, "...But wait, there's more !"
Old 12-12-22, 09:16 PM
daka

Heine has had the opportunity to explain where the design originated. It doesn't appear to me that he has made much of that.
Likes For daka:
Old 12-12-22, 09:18 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Going back to my earlier post, this is what really pisses me off. Heine now refers to "the Nivex" as though he invented it. What he has done is build a replica using modern "billet style" NC machining where you start with a bigger block of metal and create a lot of chips. No tooling, little craftsmanship, just programming and a big milling machine. Those of you that congratulate him for what he has done might not feel the same if he was plagiarizing your intellectual property.
There is no IP. It expired 65 years ago. I suspect you would also be angry if he called it "the Heine" claiming he just ripped off "the Nivex". And you have got to be kidding about your hate of modern manufacturing, right?
Likes For iab:
Old 12-12-22, 09:20 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Heine has had the opportunity to explain where the design originated. It doesn't appear to me that he has made much of that.
Now I'm confused. First you complain he calls it a Nivex, quite literally the origin, and now you are saying he didn't. Which is it?
Old 12-12-22, 09:25 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Am I sufferring deja vu? I could have sworn I saw a blog post from him about this in my reader 2-3 months ago at least.
Likes For himespau:
Old 12-12-22, 09:27 PM
daka

Originally Posted by iab
There is no IP. It expired 65 years ago. I suspect you would also be angry if he called it "the Heine" claiming he just ripped off "the Nivex". And you have got to be kidding about your hate of modern manufacturing, right?
What you say is true. But how hard would it be to say - "This was a great idea, I've replicated it so you can enjoy it today (at a price)"

And I don't have a real hatred for modern manufacturing, Professionally, I was dependent on it for many years. But it does lack soul.
Old 12-12-22, 09:27 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
We are all in love with plagiarized stuff, since not even the hardcore pre-war bike fans are rocking the original wooden running machine. The creator has the right to say whatever he wants about his product just like every other company does. Both the love and hatred depends on the perspective we want to look from. Would I put it on an orig 40's bike? Most possibly no. Is it nicely done considering its made in 2022? Yes. If I robbed the bank, would I ask Gugie if he's willing to make some surgery on a Schindelhauer Arthur or Ludwig, which are anyway mocking old style just like everything since the running machine? Hell yes!

But with all the respect what would be the proper communication for you for a product, which even if largely inspired/copied on another still needed some modern time finesse and risk taking and aimed at a niche market?
Old 12-12-22, 09:31 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
I think the derailleur this is based on was patented in 1938 or so, French patents last for 20 years, and the company has been out of business for 50+ years. The creator of the original is long dead, the company is defunct, and if it were not the patent expired 60+ years ago... Just wondering if you rail against the injustice of Suntour seeing lots of adaptations of its innovations once their patents expired... The fact the Jan clearly gives credit to the original in many articles makes your claim that he's somehow pretending to have invented it a bit odd -- unless you think Jan thinks he's fooled us into thinking that he's actually a 120+ year-old French man... Hmmmm....

Likes For JulesCW:
Old 12-12-22, 09:33 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
What you say is true. But how hard would it be to say - "This was a great idea, I've replicated it so you can enjoy it today (at a price)"
Heine has written extensively about the original Nivex in the past, and yesterday's announcement begins with acknowledging that this is based on that derailleur:
Nivex derailleurs and most associated parts are now in stock! It’s been a long journey, with R&D starting more than four years ago. When you make a derailleur that’s not just a copy of what’s already out there, but fundamentally different, you’re starting almost from zero. (The 1930s Nivex provided a wonderful inspiration, but it was never intended for modern drivetrains.) It’s been exciting and fun, frustrating at times, and ultimately very rewarding, and now we’re excited to share the fruits of our work.
It's unclear to me what your expectations are.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 12-12-22, 09:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...I think calling it "The Nivex" kind of blows the whistle on this history.
Old 12-12-22, 09:34 PM
daka

Originally Posted by Lattz
We are all in love with plagiarized stuff, since not even the hardcore pre-war bike fans are rocking the original wooden running machine. The creator has the right to say whatever he wants about his product just like every other company does. Both the love and hatred depends on the perspective we want to look from. Would I put it on an orig 40's bike? Most possibly no. Is it nicely done considering its made in 2022? Yes. If I robbed the bank, would I ask Gugie if he's willing to make some surgery on a Schindelhauer Arthur or Ludwig, which are anyway mocking old style just like everything since the running machine? Hell yes!

But with all the respect what would be the proper communication for you for a product, which even if largely inspired/copied on another still needed some modern time finesse and risk taking and aimed at a niche market?

There are plenty of photos of the original that would acknowlege the origin and, at the same time, show how much more refined his replica is.
Old 12-12-22, 09:40 PM
daka

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I think calling it "The Nivex" kind of blows the whistle on this history.
I may be wrong, but I think the subset of cyclists that are familiar with the original Nivex is likely pretty small. But your point is well taken.
Likes For daka:
Old 12-12-22, 09:43 PM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 100 Posts
I’m really excited to see a “new” and interesting derailleur come to the market! That being said this is a little too pricy and a little too niche for me. I wish RH the best of luck with this endeavor and hope they can develop more parts.
Likes For BertoBerg:
Old 12-12-22, 09:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...if Shimano thought they could make money manufacturing these, my best guess is that they would do so.
I think it would be hard not to be able to turn them out more cheaply in volume, but they are not going to be sold in volume.

Paul Engineering turned out about 1500 of these guys, using similar machining. IIRC, they were also wildly expensive, in comparison to the rest of the marketplace.
Small scale production of something like this is pretty expensive. Lots of labor costs.

Old 12-12-22, 09:50 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by gugie
That was Rae Dawn Chong (Tommy Chong's daughter of Cheech and Chong fame) in American Flyer.
And it was 7 seconds.
(Un)fun fact: Scuttlebutt was that in the first take she slung that wheel into the path of the oncoming peloton and caused several to go down.
Old 12-12-22, 09:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Paul Engineering turned out about 1500 of these guys, using similar machining. IIRC, they were also wildly expensive, in comparison to the rest of the marketplace.
Small scale production of something like this is pretty expensive. Lots of labor costs.
I almost mentioned the Paul RD's here, but figured I'd open up yet another Pandora's box of a tangent.

I'm sure when those were released, some b!tched about them too. Now they're cherished.

-Kurt

Old 12-12-22, 10:39 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 522 Posts
This is more or less just what he did in the post though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.