Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy Tool Kits in French?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 05:39 PM
Greg Williams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I've got Italian and English thread kits. Just curious if Campy every made their kits in French threading. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-23, 05:58 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Yes.
Old 01-18-23, 10:48 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,073 Posts
My kit came to me with all 3* sets of taps, and the matching pilots for the facer. Plus the reamer to go from French or English to Italian, and the 45° chamfer cutter for Mavic BBs! Oh and a Silva headset reamer/facer for OS headsets in addition to the Campy one for 1". Previous owner was a "completist" I guess.

* "All 3 doesn't include Swiss unfortunately. My Swiss tap is a Hozan, and isn't piloted, so pretty much only good for chasing and only when the existing threads are good enough to guide it straight.

The reamer may not be Campy, doesn't say Campy on it but it's a precision fit on the tap holders. I've used it a few times and it is godlike, makes a super nice bore for tapping.
The Mavic chamfer cutter is definitely not Campy, but also fit the Campy holder just right, so it's precisely piloted to the thread on the other side.

Seattle-area folks, talk to me if you need a BB tapped, faced etc. I can repair even totally munged threads to like new, I know some tricks. Shipping a frame to me probably isn't worth it though, unless you're really sure there's no one in your area code that can handle it.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 01-18-23, 10:51 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
jiangshi and Bulgie, as usual, know what they're talking about, much more than I actually. I was going through an old framebuilder's tooling a week ago and came across all of the French threaded tooling for the Campy box kit. Not very common in this country.
Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 01-18-23 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Bulgie beat me to the punch
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-19-23, 12:46 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
My kit came to me with all 3* sets of taps, and the matching pilots for the facer. Plus the reamer to go from French or English to Italian, and the 45° chamfer cutter for Mavic BBs! Oh and a Silva headset reamer/facer for OS headsets in addition to the Campy one for 1". Previous owner was a "completist" I guess.

* "All 3 doesn't include Swiss unfortunately. My Swiss tap is a Hozan, and isn't piloted, so pretty much only good for chasing and only when the existing threads are good enough to guide it straight.

The reamer may not be Campy, doesn't say Campy on it but it's a precision fit on the tap holders. I've used it a few times and it is godlike, makes a super nice bore for tapping.
The Mavic chamfer cutter is definitely not Campy, but also fit the Campy holder just right, so it's precisely piloted to the thread on the other side.

Seattle-area folks, talk to me if you need a BB tapped, faced etc. I can repair even totally munged threads to like new, I know some tricks. Shipping a frame to me probably isn't worth it though, unless you're really sure there's no one in your area code that can handle it.

Mark B
Man, I really need to get up there for a visit!
Old 01-19-23, 03:16 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by gugie
Man, I really need to get up there for a visit!
Yeah come any time. My setup is "ample" in some ways like the Campy toolkit, and rudimentary in some others. Like most of the shop being outdoors in my driveway under an awning. Not much of an atelier indoors — too small to put a tandem in the stand, and even a single has to be diagonal across the space or I can't move from one side of the bike to the other. The tour will be brief!

Maybe you can help me convince Laurie that the living room would be a great place for a milling machine.

Mark B
Old 01-19-23, 07:52 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts

I've never seen a Campagnolo Swiss thread tap, and the catalogs aren't clear whether they were an option; they just say "specify thread" when ordering. I did pick up a VAR Swiss thread tap when Wayne Bingham was blowing them out from his Mel Pinto acquisition several years ago, and have piloted VAR tap handles to use them. It's a shame that the shaft on the VAR tap handles isn't compatible with Campagnolo, otherwise I wouldn't need the VAR tap handles.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-19-23, 01:05 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by obrentharris
I was going through an old framebuilder's tooling a week ago and came across all of the French threaded tooling for the Campy box kit.
You tease! Is there a story there? What framebuilder?

Mark B
Old 01-19-23, 03:44 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
You tease! Is there a story there? What framebuilder?

Mark B
Unfortunately Hugh Enochs (Paradigm Bikes and Jevelot) is not doing well. I am part of a group effort to help his wife clear out decades of accumulated bike stuff. That's why I'm listing so much eclectic stuff in the "Classic and Vintage Sales" forum. I'll put some of the off-topic stuff on ebay. All the framebuilding stuff except the milling machine and TIG welder are already gone.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-19-23, 04:02 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,125 Times in 1,966 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Unfortunately Hugh Enochs (Paradigm Bikes and Jevelot) is not doing well. I am part of a group effort to help his wife clear out decades of accumulated bike stuff. That's why I'm listing so much eclectic stuff in the "Classic and Vintage Sales" forum. I'll put some of the off-topic stuff on ebay. All the framebuilding stuff except the milling machine and TIG welder are already gone.
Brent
Glad she has help. Good on you Brent.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 01-20-23, 06:23 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 905 Times in 383 Posts
Since no one else did it:
Kits d'outils Campy
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 01-20-23, 07:28 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Maybe you can help me convince Laurie that the living room would be a great place for a milling machine.
It's not a milling machine, it's a coffee table.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-20-23, 08:01 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
There is something very gratifying about the existence of French threaded Campy tool kits in the US all these years later…
Likes For El Chaba: