Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Big chain bike shops problem

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 03:15 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts

I've been on the market for a new hitch mounted bike rack . I have gone with Kuat over Thule this time. But I've had bad luck lately where I pay full retail and recieve lightly used or returned products. Once from Bass Pro and second from Amazon

I just picked up a Kuat 2.0 from Incycle Pasadena and I'm not at ease. Box has a return label on from 2022. Opened up the box and the cradles clearly have tire marks in them.

Has anyone had this type of issue before or recently?.
Old 02-06-24, 03:46 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Return it and go to your LBS and get one.

Old 02-06-24, 04:04 PM
malcala622

I've already gone the LBS route and as much I already support them there's ways a markup.
Old 02-06-24, 04:09 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Maybe confirm the rack is fine with no missing accessories and see if they can refund some of it. If it effectively good as new then you may get a good deal.
Old 02-06-24, 05:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Return it and go to your LBS and get one.
Originally Posted by malcala622
I've already gone the LBS route and as much I already support them there's ways a markup.
When I needed a new rack, I went to my fave LBS. They ordered it, assembled it, installed in on my car and gave me thorough guidance in the installation and safe use with my bikes (some have fenders, some don't, which complicates things), and charged a price that was within spitting distance of a big internet discounter.

I'll reiterate the advice above: find a good LBS and you won't have any problems.
Old 02-06-24, 05:42 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
In reality, unless you are giving a thing as a wedding present or whatever, who cares? Doesn't it help make prices and return policies better for everybody if vendors can resell their returns for decent prices?
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-06-24, 05:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Your local shop cannot buy large quantities of those racks and store them and distribute them and sell them at a low price sometimes closer to or below cost. They do however pay for a space and employees to help you out and unlike the online retailers you are less to not likely to be buying used product. I will say that racks are heavy and the boxes may get damaged in shipping. We would occasionally get damaged boxes with brand new product from Thule, Yakima, Küat and Saris. It was not an issue with the product though it worked just fine and had no damage or issues beyond the box.

With your local shop you do get support and if you have an issue they can help deal with it so you don't have to, plus you are generally buying from an authorized retailer. My old shop would actually install hitches as well which your online retailer could not do.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-06-24, 06:10 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
In reality, unless you are giving a thing as a wedding present or whatever, who cares? Doesn't it help make prices and return policies better for everybody if vendors can resell their returns for decent prices?
No they should sell it in the "scratch and dent" area of their store or website, at a discount.

I do agree with you that liberal return policies are great - that's often an important criterion when I buy something. But I expect that when I pay full retail, I get a product that is new or indistinguishable from new. A returned, unused item would be acceptable. But something that isn't "like new" I'd expect a discount. I'm usually careful with buying stuff with obviously opened and re-taped boxes. Stuff can be missing. If I'm in a store, I'll pick through and find the boxes that haven't been re taped.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-06-24, 06:29 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
No they should sell it in the "scratch and dent" area of their store or website, at a discount.
Agreed - scratch and dent is the best solution. Everybody wins.

Personally, I love buying scratch and dent as much as possible. Scratch and dent rewards savvy shoppers with some mechanical ability, and I love playing that game. Unless I'm buying it as a gift, I don't need to bring stuff home new and pristine and in the box.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-06-24, 06:58 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
Seems like in this case, you’re getting something valuable in exchange for the “markup” - the product you want with a shop backing it up.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 02-06-24, 07:26 PM
malcala622

Originally Posted by Mtracer
Maybe confirm the rack is fine with no missing accessories and see if they can refund some of it. If it effectively good as new then you may get a good deal.
This one is in far newer condition than the previous 2 I recieved. It just threw me off that the original Kuat packaging still has the return shipping label from 2022. It seems as though it was purchased, assembled, used 2-3 times and then returned.

Old 02-06-24, 07:28 PM
malcala622

I know it's not just me on this site that is picky when it comes to paying retail for bicycle items.

I reached out to Incycle with photos and if they offer a partial refund id take it. Its in good ebough condition to keep instead of returning.
Old 02-06-24, 09:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
I looked up this store chain that you mentioned… Incycle. For Kuat racks, their prices are identical to those of many other very well-known and reputable online sellers. Why did you choose that particular store, when you could’ve gone with REI, or Backcountry, or Competitive Cyclist, or others? I’ll bet that any of them would’ve sent you a brand new product.

Even if you went to an LBS to buy the rack, and paid perhaps an extra $100, wouldn’t that have been preferable to all of the hassle?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-06-24, 10:16 PM
malcala622

Originally Posted by Koyote
I looked up this store chain that you mentioned… Incycle. For Kuat racks, their prices are identical to those of many other very well-known and reputable online sellers. Why did you choose that particular store, when you could’ve gone with REI, or Backcountry, or Competitive Cyclist, or others? I’ll bet that any of them would’ve sent you a brand new product.

Even if you went to an LBS to buy the rack, and paid perhaps an extra $100, wouldn’t that have been preferable to all of the hassle?

Backcountry/Competitive are the same retailer. Incycle is much closer to me than REI and actually REI did not have these in stock even though their website shows its available for shipping. I've contacted multiple retailers and Incycle was the only one with it in stock for pickup.

Incycle is a reputable store with multiple locations in Southern California. Wouldn't you expect less hassle from big box bike shops?

By ordering local thru incycle I was able to inspect the packaging and avoid getting a used product once again like I did with the other retailers. But it seems it doesn't matter where I order from I'm having to make returns.

Last edited by malcala622; 02-06-24 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-07-24, 12:28 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I looked up this store chain that you mentioned… Incycle. For Kuat racks, their prices are identical to those of many other very well-known and reputable online sellers. Why did you choose that particular store, when you could’ve gone with REI, or Backcountry, or Competitive Cyclist, or others?
Incycle is much closer to me than REI and actually REI did not have these in stock even though their website shows its available for shipping. I've contacted multiple retailers and Incycle was the only one with it in stock for pickup.
It's not clear to me how the OP views Incycle, but I would consider them to be an LBS for anyone living in eastern LA county and going there in person.

My question is, if you saw the value in being able to inspect the package upon picking it up, why did you not inspect it there and instead took it home before noting the return label? Or am I missing something?
Old 02-07-24, 12:39 AM
malcala622

Originally Posted by urbanknight
It's not clear to me how the OP views Incycle, but I would consider them to be an LBS for anyone living in eastern LA county and going there in person.

My question is, if you saw the value in being able to inspect the package upon picking it up, why did you not inspect it there and instead took it home before noting the return label? Or am I missing something?
Yes you missed multiple points I made. Incycle was the only bike shop within 15 miles that had the rack in stock and available for next day pickup.

As stated in the reply you quoted but left out the part where I inspected the product in-store after noticing a shipping return label from 2022, and as pictured the box is in no way in NEW condition.

The reason I took it home is because the next nearest available rack is 45 miles away and that store manager also mentioned the box looks like it's been opened and gone thru a few times. I now have the option to further inspect the rack with option A. Return for full refund or B. Take it as is for a partial refund offer from Incycle.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-07-24, 12:45 AM
malcala622

urbanknight Also I posted 2 pictures of the box at the store and the return shipping label. So yes you missed it big where I noticed these things before bringing it home.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-07-24, 01:15 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
For peace of mind, take it back to Incycle and have them order a new one and insist that it's in brand new condition prior to picking it up. I'd be frustrated as well, however, if I'm reading this thread correctly, you took the beat up box home after inspecting it at the store. That would be on you.
A second thought would be is this what Kuat as a company does with used merchandise. If there's a pattern here, perhaps go back to research mode and find another brand that serves you better. I agree that if you are paying for a new product, you indeed should be receiving a new product.

Last edited by Outrider1; 02-07-24 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-07-24, 01:20 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Yes you missed multiple points I made. Incycle was the only bike shop within 15 miles that had the rack in stock and available for next day pickup.

As stated in the reply you quoted but left out the part where I inspected the product in-store after noticing a shipping return label from 2022, and as pictured the box is in no way in NEW condition.

The reason I took it home is because the next nearest available rack is 45 miles away and that store manager also mentioned the box looks like it's been opened and gone thru a few times. I now have the option to further inspect the rack with option A. Return for full refund or B. Take it as is for a partial refund offer from Incycle.
Got it. In my defense, the part I left out didn't make sense to me. You said it allowed you to inspect the package to avoid getting a used product, yet your complaint is that you got a used product. What's still baffling me then is that you still took it home despite seeing that it was used? Personally, I would have made any negotiating/deciding on compensation before leaving the store. Still, glad to see Incycle is offering to make it right after the fact.

Last edited by urbanknight; 02-07-24 at 01:31 AM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 02-07-24, 03:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,577 Times in 7,337 Posts
I know it's not just me on this site that is picky when it comes to paying retail for bicycle items.
Not paying retail for the sake of not paying retail is sometimes not worth the costs that are paid for from other sources besides your wallet. That’s been demonstrated numerous times on BF.

BTW…REI shipping to its stores is usually pretty fast, at least in major metropolitan areas. And I’ve personally seen employees helping customers install racks on their cars in the parking lot several times.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-07-24, 05:21 AM
malcala622

Originally Posted by Outrider1
For peace of mind, take it back to Incycle and have them order a new one and insist that it's in brand new condition prior to picking it up. I'd be frustrated as well, however, if I'm reading this thread correctly, you took the beat up box home after inspecting it at the store. That would be on you.
A second thought would be is this what Kuat as a company does with used merchandise. If there's a pattern here, perhaps go back to research mode and find another brand that serves you better. I agree that if you are paying for a new product, you indeed should be receiving a new product.
I ordered online thru their website and even called to make sure they have it on hand. Was even told it was new in box day before picking up. Obviously it's not brand new and as stated on my first post this has already happened twice even ordering a Thule thru even bigger retailers.

If you reread my previous post it explains why I took it home. The bike shop could only locate another identical item at another shop but it wasn't any better as explained by the manager.

The bike shop cannot make the decision to order one directly from Kuat nor offer a partial refund. It would all have to be made thru Incycle customer service where i have already submitted a claim.
Old 02-07-24, 05:30 AM
malcala622

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Got it. In my defense, the part I left out didn't make sense to me. You said it allowed you to inspect the package to avoid getting a used product, yet your complaint is that you got a used product. What's still baffling me then is that you still took it home despite seeing that it was used? Personally, I would have made any negotiating/deciding on compensation before leaving the store. Still, glad to see Incycle is offering to make it right after the fact.

Yes I took it home bcuz the manager advised me I'd have the advantage of getting a partial refund or a new one if Incycle customer service can acquire one from Kuat directly. The manager can only see what stock is between store locations and the nearest next one wasn't in any better shape. Only customer service can make those decisions via claim.

But yes you are correct Incycle is attempting to make it right
Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-07-24, 05:32 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
If I pay new price I expect to get a new product, not a second hand one. It's not my job to be a sucker for someone else. Retailers should charge a restocking fee and use the proceeds to sell returns at discount. It's their problem to deal with, not mine. As far as I'm concerned I've been conned. I'd return in this situation.
Likes For Yan:
Old 02-07-24, 05:33 AM
malcala622

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not paying retail for the sake of not paying retail is sometimes not worth the costs that are paid for from other sources besides your wallet. That’s been demonstrated numerous times on BF.

BTW…REI shipping to its stores is usually pretty fast, at least in major metropolitan areas. And I’ve personally seen employees helping customers install racks on their cars in the parking lot several times.
In post #14 I mentioned contacting REI. Even though their website shows its available there are none for shipping. Specifically the 1.25 version I need.
Old 02-07-24, 06:58 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
If I pay new price I expect to get a new product, not a second hand one. It's not my job to be a sucker for someone else. Retailers should charge a restocking fee and use the proceeds to sell returns at discount. It's their problem to deal with, not mine. As far as I'm concerned I've been conned. I'd return in this situation.
I agree, but people are conditioned by Amazon and the like to think they’re getting ripped off if they can’t return used goods for free. Or pay retail price for a very specific product they want that’s apparently hard to track down.
Likes For bboy314:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.