Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

700c skewer recomendations?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 10:16 AM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts

i took a wheel set of my old 853 bike. and the cam on the skewer is shot... worn out,, im looking for some decent, inexpensive skewers.. they dont need to be Ti but i would prefer alloy handle to steel old style Shim stiyle.. i dont want the hex key style... those sent me to the hospital once... just lever type.. no carbon..

and suggestions... are ones off of the EBAY any good or steer clear?
Old 04-12-16, 10:37 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Look for some take offs on ebay like American Classic. Those are good skewers of the external cam type. There are a couple of listings for them now.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-12-16, 10:39 AM
woodcraft

Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
These are pretty good, moderate cost.

Amazon.com : SRAM Quick Release Pair SS X.9 Black : Bike Wheel Skewers : Sports & Outdoors
Old 04-12-16, 10:45 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Exposed cam skewers like these can't clamp with as much force as traditional skewers, so I personally would not recommend these ones if your frame has anything other than vertical drop-outs. I like Shimano skewers.
Old 04-12-16, 11:07 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by dr_lha
Exposed cam skewers like these can't clamp with as much force as traditional skewers, so I personally would not recommend these ones if your frame has anything other than vertical drop-outs. I like Shimano skewers.
I agree with you, but OP seemed to be asking for external cam type, or so I read his post.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-12-16, 01:54 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Liked 294 Times in 141 Posts
These are very light generic skewers sold under several brand names. I've had them on my bike for 4 years w/o problems. I've given two sets away as little b'day gifts and they are still going strong too. Just don't treat treat them like steel, but with vertical dropouts you don't need to.

Titanium Alloy Skewer Bicycle Wheel Quick Release Hub for Road Mountain Bike | eBay

Last edited by sced; 04-12-16 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 03:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I agree with you, but OP seemed to be asking for external cam type, or so I read his post.
Sure, but perhaps what the OP is describing as "worn out" is simply inadequate clamping on a horizontal dropout. I have yet to "wear out" a skewer, and some of mine have had over 30 years of service.
Old 04-12-16, 03:24 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Sure, but perhaps what the OP is describing as "worn out" is simply inadequate clamping on a horizontal dropout. I have yet to "wear out" a skewer, and some of mine have had over 30 years of service.
Your guess is as good as mine, maybe better. But you know me, I just aim to please.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-12-16, 03:41 PM
scuzzo

these are easton ea something wheels.. and the front skewer will not clamp ;with any force or snug up and close... i consider them warn out if they just close but will not stay closed of clamp.. its done i got enough good suggestions.... close thread.
Old 04-12-16, 03:44 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,815 Times in 1,091 Posts
This is the conventional wisdom, but I don't understand why that would be universally true. I mean, they both work by displacing the axle skewer with an eccentric, so whereas one may be easier to operate, isn't the clamping force determined by the amount of offset by the eccentric?

Or, if it's the nylon cam bed that's often used which is of concern, there are those which use metal. But anyway, that's not a "clamping force" issue but rather a wear issue, no?

Can anyone explain this to me?
Old 04-12-16, 03:46 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
These are very light generic skewers sold under several brand names. I've had them on my bike for 4 years w/o problems. I've given two sets away as little b'day gifts and they are still going strong too. Just don't treat treat them like steel, but with vertical dropouts you don't need to.

Titanium Alloy Skewer Bicycle Wheel Quick Release Hub for Road Mountain Bike | eBay
A set of those are going on my next build. We'll see how they hold up.

You can get them for about half that price if you watch the auctions.

Our local bike co-op has a pile of skewers of different lengths. Maybe some picking around for matching nuts, but they are good solid old-school type skewers. Keep in mind that there are different lengths of rear skewers. Oh, I need to skim about 1cm off the end of that titanium skewer.
Old 04-12-16, 05:43 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Shimano makes alloy handled QRs as well; I use them and they work great.

This is just an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dura...WuF2efMPd9IG2g
Old 04-12-16, 06:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
A hearty second to the Chinese Ti skewers mentioned in post #6 . Search around, you can find them for under $10 a pair shipped. Have them on both mine and my wife's bikes, never had a single problem with them. Also really light, if that interests you at all.
Old 04-12-16, 06:43 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
This is the conventional wisdom, but I don't understand why that would be universally true. I mean, they both work by displacing the axle skewer with an eccentric, so whereas one may be easier to operate, isn't the clamping force determined by the amount of offset by the eccentric?

Or, if it's the nylon cam bed that's often used which is of concern, there are those which use metal. But anyway, that's not a "clamping force" issue but rather a wear issue, no?

Can anyone explain this to me?
This is what Sheldon Brown has to say:

In addition, the exposed cam has a larger diameter, (typically 16 mm vs. 7 mm for an enclosed cam) so the friction is acting on a longer moment arm (the radius of the cam.)The result is that the exposed-cam type provides very much less clamping force for a given amount of hand force on the lever.
Old 04-12-16, 06:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

This is what Sheldon Brown has to say:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Sure...he's talking about ease-of-use, not wheel clamping force.

Anyone else have an idea? Or is a misunderstanding of Sheldon what's behind this?
Old 04-12-16, 06:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,558 Times in 1,022 Posts
Get a couple of trainer skewers and call it a day?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SI.jpg (21.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-12-16, 07:19 PM
rpenmanparker 

Sure...he's talking about ease-of-use, not wheel clamping force.

Anyone else have an idea? Or is a misunderstanding of Sheldon what's behind this?
Isn't it true that the clamping force that results from the greatest force you can physically exert on the handle will be lower with the external cam? That is ultimate clamping force, not ease of use. Right?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-12-16, 07:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Isn't it true that the clamping force that results from the greatest force you can physically exert on the handle will be lower with the external cam? That is ultimate clamping force, not ease of use. Right?
But the issue is not ultimate clamping force, but rather what is insufficient clamping force. I, personally, have never exerted, nor needed to exert, all the force I can muster in order to close a quick release and secure a wheel.
Old 04-12-16, 07:32 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 755 Times in 413 Posts
Do external cam skewers have any advantage over internal cam ones?
Old 04-12-16, 07:44 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Do external cam skewers have any advantage over internal cam ones?
They're the lightest.

As stupid-dope uncommonly light as the expensive Tune AC14s are, there are many external-type QRs to rival them.
Old 04-12-16, 07:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

But the issue is not ultimate clamping force, but rather what is insufficient clamping force. I, personally, have never exerted, nor needed to exert, all the force I can muster in order to close a quick release and secure a wheel.
Me neither. And I use external type. Just saying that if a person won't exert more than a given force, they will get lower clamping force from that with external. Hey, I can see this is just a semantic argument I'm waging. Over and out.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 04-12-16, 08:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Me neither. And I use external type. Just saying that if a person won't exert more than a given force, they will get lower clamping force from that with external. Hey, I can see this is just a semantic argument I'm waging. Over and out.
Yes, but that given force could still be sufficient for external cam, despite being less than the internal cam. So the question remains, why do people say external cams don't generate sufficient clamping force?

In fact, given the practical dominance of external cam skewers and the utter absence of official admonishment to avoid all but vertical dropouts, it seems very unlikely that the common refrain that they provide insufficient clamping force would be true.
Old 04-12-16, 08:34 PM
scuzzo

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Get a couple of trainer skewers and call it a day?
you may be right, i will tell every one NOT TO BUY THOSE SKEWERS THAT TIGHTEN WITH A HEX KEY... they may be light weight.... but i had some on my cannondale.. thought the back wheel was in there good, friend says "lets wind up a sprint for the limit sign...... see where this is going... kicked for the limit sign.. back wheel jammed in to the rear stays of the bike.. halting all forward progress.. not sure the speed.. but it was enough to knock me out.. i woke up in the hospital, asking about my cycling shoes... Glad i have a bucket on.... but those skewers sure were lite.... i kinda hope they took them off the market... but i doubt it.
Old 04-12-16, 08:38 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by scuzzo
you may be right, i will tell every one NOT TO BUY THOSE SKEWERS THAT TIGHTEN WITH A HEX KEY... they may be light weight.... but i had some on my cannondale.. thought the back wheel was in there good, friend says "lets wind up a sprint for the limit sign...... see where this is going... kicked for the limit sign.. back wheel jammed in to the rear stays of the bike.. halting all forward progress.. not sure the speed.. but it was enough to knock me out.. i woke up in the hospital, asking about my cycling shoes... Glad i have a bucket on.... but those skewers sure were lite.... i kinda hope they took them off the market... but i doubt it.
Most likely you over-torqued them when tightening, and pulled the threads, given the description. They'uquite simple devices, so it's very unlikely the fault of a design failure.
Old 04-12-16, 09:28 PM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by scuzzo
these are easton ea something wheels.. and the front skewer will not clamp ;with any force or snug up and close... i consider them warn out if they just close but will not stay closed of clamp.. its done i got enough good suggestions.... close thread.
it's funny that you mention this happened with an Easton skewer. My SO had a similar problem with her Easton wheelset during a TT. Twice the rear skewer released and caused the rear wheel to lock up against the seat tube. I had never seen this before, or since, but the one time I did see this sort of issue was with an Easton skewer.

Hers were not old and worn out, but I believe they had a design flaw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.