Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Mountain Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Rough First Few Miles

Search
Notices
Mountain Bike Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Rough First Few Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 07:23 PM
Stymieman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rough First Few Miles

I hope that someone who has experienced this problem can help me out. I've been training for the Firecracker 50, a 50 mile race in Breckenridge CO. When I go on training rides my first few miles are awfull. This is a problem even if the first few miles are relatively flat and I am going at race pace. I feel tired and my breathing is ragged. After a few miles I seem to suddenly improve and can do great for the next 35 to 40. (Of course over 40 miles or so I imagine everyone gets tired.) The first part of this race is an extended climb. It's not too steep but it lasts for several miles and I'm sure I will struggle. Keeping in mind that I don't want to fall too far behind to start and I don't want to tire myself out riding a few miles before the race what should I do to warm up? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-10, 09:37 PM
Quijibo187
Custom User Title

Bikes: 2006 Marin Stelvio, 1990s Steve Bauer, Marin Palisades Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding a few miles before the race is exactly what you need to do.
It will get your blood flowing, calm the nerves a bit, and strike fear into the hearts of your enemies.
Old 06-11-10, 03:51 PM
tollhousecookie

Bikes: Beach crusier, Specialized FSR mt., retro Raleigh rebuild. Trek Madone 4.5, Schwinn steel frame Frankinstein. BMX rebuild, Specialized rock hopper,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry myself about the first few miles of a 50 mile race... Don't get swept up with fast starters. Ride your own pace that you can hold and worry about finishing strong. Best of luck! And yes, warm up a bit too before the start...
Old 06-12-10, 10:14 AM
markowe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's only recently I've discovered just how important warming up is. Before I sort of scorned the guys who were spinning on the trainer before the race, but now it makes sense to me, as long as you're not actually using up too much precious race reserves. A few miles? Sure, a few miles of warm-up makes perfect sense, I think, if its practical... If not, well, then those first few miles ARE your warmup, I guess.
Old 06-14-10, 08:48 AM
Stymieman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. I think I will pedal around for a bit before the race. The race starts with a ride along a parade route and it would be embarassing breathing hard while riding down a level street in front of a couple thousand people.
Old 06-15-10, 08:01 AM
markowe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have given much more attention to pre-race warmup lately, you actually need to try to get up to race intensity and that DOES mean sacrificing a little precious energy, but you really feel the difference at the start. Though as someone pointed out, the longer the race the less sense it makes to warm up a lot.