Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buyer's Remorse: Products / features you THOUGHT you would use and like, but . . .

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buyer's Remorse: Products / features you THOUGHT you would use and like, but . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 05:14 PM
Urthwhyte

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
worst mini pump ever
Even worse:
Old 06-28-10, 05:17 PM
PhilNYC

Bikes: Spectrum Titanium Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, Fat Chance Yo Eddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixie...got it cheap and still have it, but it's definitely collecting dust.

Cadence monitor...knowing my cadence didn't really change the way I ride. And eventually, it got to the point where every time I'd look down at it and see the reading, it was always within 1-2 rpms of what I thought it would be...
Old 06-28-10, 05:25 PM
tgscordv6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't realize how big it was because I ordered it online. It looks like a UFO landed on my handlebar.
Old 06-28-10, 05:30 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CO2 inflator and cartridges, a total waste of money since I've never used them and probably never will. The money was better spent on a nice minipump.

Cycling shorts: they were just fine until I tried bibs and now they just sit there unused and unloved. Don't want to part with them because the graphics are from my alma mater but never reach for them because the bibs are way more comfy...

Medium size cycling jerseys -- they're too long and too loose for me. Bunch up in the front and not aero enough. Figured out both my body type and preference meant "tight is right" which means small or extra small.
Old 06-28-10, 05:30 PM
dooodstevenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a fixed gear bike. fun for a while then i discovered gears! never looked back
Old 06-28-10, 05:42 PM
baribari

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale Classic shorts. Had to replace them TWICE in five months because of poor quality chamois. Much happier with Specialized shorts...softer material in chamois, much better stiching. Padding doesn't feel like it would disintegrate.

Bell Adrenaline helmet. Bought it at Walmart because LBS was taking too long to get helmets in stock because it fit well. Has 16 vents but none of them actually work (at all). On the upside, it's only 280 grams...
Old 06-28-10, 05:46 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I can repeat some things - fixed gear bike, mountain bike, Garmin 305.
Old 06-28-10, 06:25 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13717 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Park PFP-2 floor pump. The double headed presta/schrader set up doesn't really seem to work. The schrader portion works fine, but the presta portion does not.
Old 06-28-10, 06:40 PM
baribari

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does your stem extent far enough past the dish of your wheel? I had a problem with that, but as long as you have a stem that's long enough, my Bontrager pump works great on both Schrader and Presta valves.
Old 06-28-10, 06:41 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
My Trek 7.5 fx that I bought only a few months ago. The bike is really nice and I ride it all over the place, but I would have been better off buying a pure road bike and slapping some wider tires on my Jamis Aurora for rails to trails type rides that I go on with my wife. This year I am making due with the FX and the Aurora, but next year I will splurge on a decent race bike.

My wife's Trek Allant. Good first bike for her, but it didn't take more than 6 months for her to want a road bike. Basically, same issue as my FX, but she has recently (as in last week) remedied her situation with a Trek 2.1 wsd purchase. Her Allant will now be a grocery go-getter and a rail-trail bike.

Both of these were just improper decision making on our part, so not really the bikes fault. I should have just gone with my gut and bought the road bike first.

nashbar saddle bag. The thing sucks, plain and simple. It sways so much under the seat that it feels like the wheel is totally out of true and it has unclipped on more than one occasion which sends it riding against my rear tire.

Surly singulator - my failed attempt at trying single speed. Rode for less than 20 miles and is going up for sale soon.

Camelback - dont really mind it when out mountain biking in nature, but for the road it sucks. Talk about back sweat and discomfort.

Sora shifters - They work, but I can't stand them
Old 06-28-10, 06:59 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Several saddle bags because I use none.
Cheap tubular tires. Cheap always comes out more expensive in the end.
Cheap bibs. My ass reminds me daily why not to get them.
The small collection of multitools I have. All too big, too heAvy, and in 20+ years of not actually using any they proved to be useless.
The several pair of glasses I have. Ultimately I only use the Oakley photochromic ones and some older brikos on very bright and sunny days.
The 1/2 dozen clear lens glasses I have. Bought them to ride in the dark only to realize I rather ride with nothing.
D2 custom shoes. Never fit right despite being custom.
Record cassette. Wore in half the mileage and can't fella difference from the chorus or centaur I use now.
Hammer products. They all taste like dirt to me
Plenty more later.
Old 06-28-10, 07:02 PM
wheelgrabber

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Treespeed
Aero Bars.
As well as the beautiful Thomsom elite raked seatpost that I had to buy with the nice Vision aero bars. Aero bars are dumb unless you own a tri bike or a Cervelo Soloist.
Old 06-28-10, 07:06 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13717 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by baribari
Does your stem extent far enough past the dish of your wheel? I had a problem with that, but as long as you have a stem that's long enough, my Bontrager pump works great on both Schrader and Presta valves.
Valve stem access is not the issue. I've since read about others having the same problem with this model.

Old 06-28-10, 07:11 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Truing stand. Never use it. Ever!!!
Insulated bottles. Please! They are either warm or cold like the outside in about 10 min. Completely useless!
Carbon jockey wheels. Do I really need to say why?
Topeak Morph pump. Useful but too freaking big and bulky for my taste.
All the Campy C-record 80's stuff I bought to put together a steel classic late 80's bike. Sadly, I am yet to find either the frame on my size or the right amount to motivation to look hard enough for it. Either way, it is all sitting in a box.

Last edited by dgasmd; 06-28-10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-28-10, 07:13 PM
grafsk8er

Bikes: raleigh sport (thank god i got rid of it), current: cannondale systemsix w/ultegra 10, 2009 cannondale scalpel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
selle italia slr kit carbonio flow saddle...nice saddle, looked awesome on the bike and road great for a solid 20-30 miles...after that it was absolutely brutal on my ass
Old 06-28-10, 07:34 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Truing stand. Never use it. Ever!!!
Insulated bottles. Please! They are either warm or cold like the outside in about 10 min. Completely useless!
Carbon jockey wheels. Do I really need to say why?
Topeak Morph pump. Useful but too freaking big and bulky for my taste.
All the Campy C-record 80's stuff I bought to put together a steel classic late 80's bike. Sadly, I am yet to find either the frame on my size or the right amount to motivation to look hard enough for it. Either way, it is all sitting in a box.
this
Old 06-28-10, 07:39 PM
flaco

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet mirror.
Old 06-28-10, 07:53 PM
acaurora
B+ roadie I guess?

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of Specialized gloves, but then ended up going back to Pearl Izumi Pittard gloves. The fabric is thin and stretchy, which works really well in the summer, whereas the Specialized gloves were not very stretchy and felt thick.
Old 06-28-10, 08:04 PM
mathwheels

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 5...duh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
long sleve cannondale jersey. first one i bought before i even had my bike this past winter. looks more like a fox motocross jersey than a road bike jersey. it stanks and cost me $80
Old 06-28-10, 08:12 PM
Quijibo187
Custom User Title

Bikes: 2006 Marin Stelvio, 1990s Steve Bauer, Marin Palisades Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this:

computer bounced around so much on it you couldn't see what it said anyway.
Old 06-28-10, 08:16 PM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joe Blow Pro pump. At least I got it on sale. Super Pista kicks its butt. Glueless patches. Worthless. Hayes el Camino disc brake. Utter turd.
Old 06-28-10, 08:22 PM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Nyargh! Why did you have to bring this up?!
I have a pair of Sidi Ergo shoes hidden in my closet (so as to avoid the shame) that are a half-size too small for me. They were so cheap I couldn't resist, but I got tired of waiting for them to stretch out.
(Modern cycling shoes apparently don't stretch like the old leather-jobbies used to. )
What size are they?
Old 06-28-10, 08:28 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Shoe covers. Who am I frikkin' kidding, BillyD is not riding in the frikkin' winter, period!

. . . and bibs. I'm not a bibs guy, torso too long. Shoulder straps annoy me worse than any shorts ever could. Please!

Last edited by BillyD; 06-28-10 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-28-10, 08:58 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Hammer HEED. Tastes like dirt, as noted above.
Old 06-28-10, 09:49 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BTW, add to the list the 3 Carmichael training videos I got (cadence, power, climbing). Although good workouts for someone trying to improve on those areas, completely worthless to me personally as I don't race and specific "training" feels like a job or chore. Also, they seem to be well suited for someone doing them on a trainer rather than outside, which is a piece of equipment I refuse to buy so long as I am living in a place where it does not snow or have ice during parts of the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.