Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Graphene

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Graphene

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-17, 09:17 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Graphene

I just watched a couple of videos about a new product, graphene. Very interesting claims on what this will do to bicycle technology.
Old 07-04-17, 09:30 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just like with electronics, I'll let someone else bite the bullet on 1st-2nd gen stuff.
Old 07-04-17, 09:52 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I'm sure the first graphene bicycle produced will be VERY expensive. At that point someone will say "Ah! Most expensive, must be the best!". Bicycle materials change all time, human behavior...not so much.
Old 07-04-17, 10:43 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Steel is real. I don't see steel being replaced as the ultimate touring frame any time soon. Its big plus is that it can be repaired in almost any corner of the world.
Old 07-04-17, 10:45 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The most real thing about steel is that it has been surpassed by all other materials for bicycles. Look at steel rims for example. Sure Co-motion has some good steel bicycles, but not out of brand X 4120, and for that price I can go full carbon. Little improvement in metal frames and components has happened for quite a while. When did heat treated steel come out? Is Ti any better now than when it was first used for bicycles. Maybe there's still reasons to use those materials if you want.
I can't imagine someone to seriously be foolish enough to buy a steel bicycle in case it needs to be welded later on. I'm much more likely to need a cardiac defribulator.
But carbon continues to be improved. lighter, stronger, more impact resistance. Graphene sounds like it will mean lighter stronger resins. Dyneema as well should mean more impact resistance. Certainly these will produce a better bicycle. Unfortunately all the research and development comes at a cost. It's not the money that makes it a better bicycle, it's the R&D and the material and production costs.
Carbon is real, steel is not.
Old 07-04-17, 11:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I'm riding a pair of Vittoria Graphene tires. Vittoria describes them as the next generation tire (my words), describing them on their star chart as being 4 out of 5 for grippiness, rolling resistance and several other characteristics. (I've tossed the packaging.). My experience with several hundred miles lives up tp their claims. I"m riding the 28c tires. Cushy, fat ride. They roll really nicely, feel great on corners and on iffy pavement. Confidence inspiring like the green Vittoria Paves were except I can see already they are far less prone to cutting.

So, for me, they seem to be $70 tires with just one drawback. $70. But maybe they will last long enough to be $70 well spent. Another plus, one that has me wondering why it took 25 years, ribbed tread. Us old farts who rode ribbed tread sewups BITD knew it was wonderful. Good to have it back.

Ben
Old 07-05-17, 07:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Old 07-05-17, 07:11 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm riding a pair of Vittoria Graphene tires. Vittoria describes them as the next generation tire (my words), describing them on their star chart as being 4 out of 5 for grippiness, rolling resistance and several other characteristics. (I've tossed the packaging.). My experience with several hundred miles lives up tp their claims. I"m riding the 28c tires. Cushy, fat ride. They roll really nicely, feel great on corners and on iffy pavement. Confidence inspiring like the green Vittoria Paves were except I can see already they are far less prone to cutting.

So, for me, they seem to be $70 tires with just one drawback. $70. But maybe they will last long enough to be $70 well spent. Another plus, one that has me wondering why it took 25 years, ribbed tread. Us old farts who rode ribbed tread sewups BITD knew it was wonderful. Good to have it back.

Ben

Pretty much sums up my feelings.

I was a fan of Rubino Pro III Slicks but absolutely love the Rubino G+ Speed.

-Tim-
Old 07-05-17, 07:17 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Pretty much sums up my feelings.

I was a fan of Rubino Pro III Slicks but absolutely love the Rubino G+ Speed.

-Tim-
Open Corsa CXIII are nicer than Rubinos....can also get them from overseas for $35 a tire on occasion.
Old 07-05-17, 08:45 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Open Corsa CXIII are nicer than Rubinos....can also get them from overseas for $35 a tire on occasion.
My point was not to turn this into a tire thread but to talk about graphene as a material.

I'm not sure if graphene in the tires is a gimmick or if it actually does what tire manufacturers claim. If the latter is true then it is a wonderful material because the G+ Speed roll incredibly well and are very light weight.

-Tim-
Old 07-05-17, 09:04 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't Dassi already make a frame w/graphene?? Something like 750g and claim that in the near future it could be half that?
Old 07-05-17, 09:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
One of the best "training" I ever got was sitting with my parents as a child and making fun of TV commercials. Learning to be skeptical in the face of tailored sales pitches is a skill more people need.
Old 07-05-17, 09:29 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
One of the best "training" I ever got was sitting with my parents as a child and making fun of TV commercials. Learning to be skeptical in the face of tailored sales pitches is a skill more people need.
I think I get your point but an example would be helpful. List a few of today's commercials you are talking about.
Old 07-05-17, 09:49 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I don't see a single link in this thread.
Old 07-05-17, 09:55 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JagR
I think I get your point but an example would be helpful. List a few of today's commercials you are talking about.
Can't speak for him, but the medical ones that then have a 15-second disclaimer at the end.

Car commercials. All of them.

Any commercial that is not bike related, but uses a bicycle and rider. Refer ads mentioned above.

On a slightly different note, just imagine winning a Nobel Prize by just using sticky tape and a pencil.
Old 07-05-17, 10:13 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JagR
Didn't Dassi already make a frame w/graphene?? Something like 750g and claim that in the near future it could be half that?
Something like that. That's one of the you tubes I watched. Someone else said impossible, until large sheets are available. I watched the one about tires also. The claims are interesting.
We'll see what happens!!
Old 07-05-17, 12:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I don't see a single link in this thread.
Here are a few.

Old 07-05-17, 01:56 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Here are a few.

Could be bobcats.
Old 07-05-17, 04:11 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts

Lynx vs. Bobcat
Old 07-05-17, 04:37 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Too true. But bamboo is the frame material of the future.
Old 07-05-17, 06:36 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
The most real thing about steel is that it has been surpassed by all other materials for bicycles. Look at steel rims for example. Sure Co-motion has some good steel bicycles, but not out of brand X 4120, and for that price I can go full carbon. Little improvement in metal frames and components has happened for quite a while. When did heat treated steel come out? Is Ti any better now than when it was first used for bicycles. Maybe there's still reasons to use those materials if you want.
I can't imagine someone to seriously be foolish enough to buy a steel bicycle in case it needs to be welded later on. I'm much more likely to need a cardiac defribulator.
But carbon continues to be improved. lighter, stronger, more impact resistance. Graphene sounds like it will mean lighter stronger resins. Dyneema as well should mean more impact resistance. Certainly these will produce a better bicycle. Unfortunately all the research and development comes at a cost. It's not the money that makes it a better bicycle, it's the R&D and the material and production costs.

Accidents happen all of the time. More than likely on tour. A small knick is nothing for a steel frame but can be a major catastrophe for carbon. Far worse if the damage goes unnoticed.

And you will likely not need a frame repaired is irrelevant. The fact is it can be repaired if needed. Go ahead and try that with exotic materials.

I also have to laugh at people who will spend a fortune on a light weight bike, when it would be healthier and cheaper to drop several pounds of of themselves.
Old 07-05-17, 10:00 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by BigAura

Lynx vs. Bobcat
Yeah, with a side by side comparison, I'd have to go with links.

Here are some more.

Old 07-05-17, 10:17 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A nick in a carbon is not catastrophic, BS!! My point was some folks are saying a big jump is carbon quality is coming soon. Also nice that the low end of carbon is getting cheaper. Nothing was said about steel. I don't understand why anyone brought up the subject of steel.
Except that,
Some inferiority complexes are well deserved!!
Old 07-06-17, 12:02 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Graphene sounds great but consider how few CF production touring bikes there are now despite 30 years of CF racing bikes. Now we have CF cross & gravel bikes yet no CF version of popular LHT. Bike makers consider trad tourists as a captive niche market that is supposed to be happy paying high prices for outdated tech.
Old 07-06-17, 03:41 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's pretty much it. CF is about fast light responsive. Go with a cross or gravel bicycle for touring. Look what the self-supported cross country racers are using.
I have no experience with MTB or fat bicycles. I wonder what those folks think about carbon? The 2 MTBers on carbon I saw last weekend were smiling.
Have there been any bicycle advances in the last decade that was other than carbon?

Last edited by Squeezebox; 07-06-17 at 03:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.