Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding late at night, sorta creepy.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 01:54 AM
jaebberwock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone else get kinda creeped out when you're on a lonely, isolated stretch of road where your only light source is the one you got mounted on your bike? I'm a guy in my late twenties so I find it strange I still have a sense of uneasiness at this age. Occasionally I'll see people just standing around in the dark and the quietness of the huge, seemingly empty houses that line Lake Washington is eerie.
Old 05-13-10, 01:56 AM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i love it.

α
Old 05-13-10, 01:57 AM
gumbii
mutant...

Bikes: skinny benny single speed/fixed gear, fuji carbon fiber road bike...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have never ridden alone at night before... i wouldn't know...
Old 05-13-10, 02:03 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My recent exploits in late night commuting.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...the-blow-darts

It's a whole new world out there when the sun goes down.
Old 05-13-10, 02:16 AM
brbbiking

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, I live near Lake Washington too (if it's the same one in Seattle you're talking about). Actually, downtown Bellevue. I got egged when riding home from work at midnight..
Old 05-13-10, 02:20 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
i only ride at night. in the city/suburbs it's fine; i can imagine things getting weird out in rural/remote areas.
Old 05-13-10, 03:05 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Just back from a night ride.. 25 miles - in total 4 cars passed me.. I love being out on the road when everyone else is in bed.. Of course I bring my pepper spray and a knife just in case.. Never had any issues riding at night, plenty of problems riding during the daytime..
Old 05-13-10, 03:11 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Late nite has been creepy, worse so for cave men before they discovered fire.. Can't say I 've been our much after 9 PM. Which in the winter can be dark. Lake Washginton. Is that not the Seattle area.? Watch out. Current posts here at Bike Forums warns of cyclists being attacked by dart guns.. A real shame, because late night rides could be fun when the road pretty much is all yours to be shared with few else.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 05-13-10, 03:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The only place riding alone at night bothered me was in the Canadian Rockies on a 400K. The road in question is a 100 km stretch with absolutely nothing open along the way and almost no vehicles. Knowing full well that there are bears, cougars, and wolves out there (and having seen all three), I rode right down the middle of the road.

The only thing that kept me partially sane on that stretch of road was the fact that my father was leap-frogging me in the car. I'd ride past the car. He'd wait till I was out of sight, then drive slowly past me up the road until he disappeared from sight somewhere up in the distance, etc.

Other than that, the only thing that bothers me about riding at night is the way towns seem to wander around. You see a glimmer of lights way off in the distance and think, "ah, there it is, I'll be there in a moment". Then the lights disappear, and some time later, they reappear off to the left looking about as far away as they did an hour ago. 15 minutes later they disappear again, and half an hour later reappear off to the right, looking about as far away as they did when you last saw them. And a time period that feels something in the neighborhood of forever passes before you actually arrive in the town.
Old 05-13-10, 03:52 AM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it if I'm fairly certain a massive pothole isn't before me. When I cruise around the lake my biggest fear is coming around a turn and hitting a jogger with no reflective gear or a light on them. When I'm out I do bring a headlamp just in case I need to change a tire, never needed to but I feel better.
Old 05-13-10, 03:57 AM
jaebberwock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I'm in the Seattle area. I actually ride the Burke Gilman trail so I don't have to deal with motorists. The reason I do ride at night is because I have the road to myself. I quickly get exhausted if I ride during the day, having to slow down, start again, pass riders, then be passed by old guys in fully loaded commuter bikes. Its not so much the eggs and darts that worry me as much as it is the scary stories I start to recall as I ride. I imagine a Bundy type in one of those big lakeside houses. Heaven help me if I run a cross a little girl in a white dress wandering the trail by herself.
Old 05-13-10, 04:17 AM
45suited
Slave to my PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing that keeps me from commuting to work (I work the overnight) is I am scared to get hit by a drunk. I would love to catch the extra 15 miles each way on a daily basis.
Old 05-13-10, 04:47 AM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaebberwock
Anyone else get kinda creeped out when you're on a lonely, isolated stretch of road where your only light source is the one you got mounted on your bike? I'm a guy in my late twenties so I find it strange I still have a sense of uneasiness at this age. Occasionally I'll see people just standing around in the dark and the quietness of the huge, seemingly empty houses that line Lake Washington is eerie.
I get creeped out too. I often play out Night of the Living Dead scenarios in my head so that hopefully I would be able to escape for the time being. You have to consider things like their speed...are they slow? or are they fast as sometimes depicted? Density is another huge factor. A sporadic zombie or two and you can ride around them...a mob, you're in trouble
Old 05-13-10, 04:50 AM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
The only thing that kept me partially sane on that stretch of road was the fact that my father was leap-frogging me in the car. I'd ride past the car. He'd wait till I was out of sight, then drive slowly past me up the road until he disappeared from sight somewhere up in the distance, etc.
why not just drive near you the whole time??
Old 05-13-10, 05:50 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Night riding is fascinating. It's more fascinating in the cities than the country. Around here even the cows are inside. In the city you see all sorts of people just hanging out on the streets. Back in the day cops (who wore cycling winter gloves because they fit their trigger guards) told me where to ride and not to ride, and who would be where. They could call it nicely - I'd see the dealers here, the prostitutes there, homeless in here, drunks over there.

cdr
Old 05-13-10, 05:57 AM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Try riding the bike path that runs along the potomac river at night. It's surrounded by trees, on a 3 foot wide path, and once in a while a car goes by on the parallel highway and blinds you. It's really scary; anyone could be in those bushes next to you. Fastest 8 miles I've ever done.
Old 05-13-10, 06:10 AM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't ridden at night, but I have done pre-dawn morning commute and I find it a very peaceful experience.
Old 05-13-10, 06:26 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I ride a circuit if I have to train at night. You can still ride distances without going far from home.
Old 05-13-10, 06:30 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I grew up in farm country. After midnight, there was absolutely no traffic. It was fun to go out with no lights on a full moon late at night in the summer. About the most free feeling I can remember from my childhood.
Old 05-13-10, 06:31 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
Try riding the bike path that runs along the potomac river at night. It's surrounded by trees, on a 3 foot wide path, and once in a while a car goes by on the parallel highway and blinds you. It's really scary; anyone could be in those bushes next to you. Fastest 8 miles I've ever done.
MUPs and parks are the last place I want to be after dark. Considering recent events, finding an alternative route home has become job #1.
Old 05-13-10, 07:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mx_599
why not just drive near you the whole time??
On a randonnee you're not allowed to have assistance outside of controls. Driving near me might be considered helping, especially if his headlights or taillights were lighting up the road.
Old 05-13-10, 07:38 AM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride home around 11 pm, from band practice, twice a week. It's only 4 miles or so through the city but the quiet and lack of cars is amazing! I love it.
Old 05-13-10, 07:40 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done some late night commuting on a mountain bike with a magic shine and no street lights, and i'll agree it is creepy. Part of me is hoping not to be hit by a car, the other part is hoping that I don't get a flat near a corner filled with homeless crackheads.
Old 05-13-10, 07:54 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I mostly night ride in the woods on my MTB but I like it on the road too. I live in the country so it's about as safe as it gets in so far as creepy people hiding in bushes goes Deer are the real concern.
Old 05-13-10, 08:30 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too commute in the early morning so it's often pretty dark. I can totally understand you being creeped out, I occasionally see some real characters walking about. I sometimes see females out running, some solo. No way I would let my wife or daughter run in the dark. My commute takes me along some lonely roads through wooded areas. Call me paranoid, but my mind often wanders when riding solo.

Even when I am out in broad daylight, I sometimes think some scary thoughts when riding in the country alone. There is one guy I often see walking around outside his home, it's a run-down home along a creek in a wooded area, he is usually wearing mechanic coveralls, looks disheveled and on occasion carrying a chainsaw (I kid you not). I politely say "Hi" while moving to the other side of the road.

I do like the solitude and little traffic though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.