Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

"Doormat" outside tent?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

"Doormat" outside tent?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 08:53 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
"Doormat" outside tent?

Does anyone use/have/tried some sort of "doormat" just outside their tent? I hate crawling in and out into dirt. I was thing about a small piece of Tyvec or something similar. My tent has a vestibule so it's shouldn't channel rain into the tent. Good idea or just stupid?
Old 06-23-23, 08:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Does anyone use/have/tried some sort of "doormat" just outside their tent? I hate crawling in and out into dirt. I was thing about a small piece of Tyvec or something similar. My tent has a vestibule so it's shouldn't channel rain into the tent. Good idea or just stupid?
The footprint for my new Big Agnes Flycreek has it built in. A welcome addition.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-23-23, 10:17 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I carry a very lightweight tarp. It folds down to a very small size, probably 4x5 inches or so, and thin. I have used it in the vestibule to put gear on. I suppose you could use something like it for your purpose as well. I put it under the gear, but don't extend it under the tent,I fold it so even if there weren't a covered vestibule, it wouldn't channel water under the tent. I have carried it for years, and use it on the grass to sit on, and sometimes to cover up with. When using the hammock, I spread it out under the hammock and put my gear on it there.

Don't worry if someone else thinks what you want is stupid. It is very often the little things that make camping, and a tour a bit more pleasant, and those things are personal.

Likes For phughes:
Old 06-23-23, 12:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Sounds reasonable. One option would be to get one of those "crinkle" plastic tarps and cut it down to the size you want. I carry a 4'x8' one that serves os my footprint. A fraction of that wouldn't add a lot of weight. You'll have some left over in case you need to replace the original mat. Use a Sharpie to write something like "WELCOME" or "GO AWAY" on it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-23, 12:34 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
We have one (doormat) we keep with our camping gear. I typically also bring one of those cardboard "cola flat" box bottom thing to put shoes in after taking them off. We learned a pretty hard lesson cold camping one year where it lightly rained and we woke up to frozen shoes.
Old 06-23-23, 12:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
We've used various welcome mat kinds of things for years while car camping. They typically work better when it's not raining. When it is raining, you'll want the exit to be downhill, or use a separate piece of tarp/plastic/whatever, with a gap between the welcome mat and the footprint. You probably don't want to funnel all the rain that falls on, say, a 2'x3' piece of plastic on top of your footprint; that's a sure way to find the leaks in your tent floor.
Old 06-23-23, 01:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
It had been raining for quite a while before I made camp at this campground. No grass in my tiny little site, just muddy gravel. There was some newspaper in the recycling bin, that kept my gear out of the mud in the vestibule.

I was sitting inside the tent to take the picture through the tent door of my vestibule area. The gold color pole in the middle is my tent pole in the front.

When I got home I cut a vestibule shaped ground cloth from a large plastic shopping bag for future use, but I do not expect to use it often. I did a two week tour two months ago and never used anything in the vestibule area, even though I had brought a piece of plastic for that purpose.
Old 06-24-23, 06:08 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Not for me. In my opinion, it's one more dirty thing to pack up. But my view on camping is different than others'. It's just a place to sleep when I'm not cycling or hiking.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-24-23, 07:03 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Yes. My stuff sleeping bag sack.

Shoes always go into my tent and I sit up and put feet out the vestibule resting on a small sack while putting my shoes on. Reverse when going to bed.
Old 06-24-23, 08:32 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
I have buddies that wouldn't be without their mats. Another buddy uses one of those approximate 1" thick foam kneeling pads as it doubles as ground pad to sit on.
Likes For robow:
Old 06-25-23, 07:00 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by robow
I have buddies that wouldn't be without their mats. Another buddy uses one of those approximate 1" thick foam kneeling pads as it doubles as ground pad to sit on.
Do you have a handy link/source for this? One place I go a few times/year requires me to sit on the ground if I want to be near the fire ring, and the ground is sandy. I usually sit on the firewood bag. A mat like this could be quite useful.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-25-23, 07:16 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Do you have a handy link/source for this? One place I go a few times/year requires me to sit on the ground if I want to be near the fire ring, and the ground is sandy. I usually sit on the firewood bag. A mat like this could be quite useful.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tangnade-...den/1771321977
Old 06-25-23, 07:30 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
It seems to be on sale for $3.52

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TUOBARR-T...QaAtPUEALw_wcB
Old 06-25-23, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Thanks. I live a concrete jungle, so something like that was not on my radar screen.
Old 06-25-23, 10:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
If you have an old closed cell foam pad from before Thermarest pads existed, cut a piece from that for a sit pad. Many of us used closed cell mats for sleeping pads decades ago. That was my source of foam for sit pads for my kayak and canoe.

Last summer on my backpacking trip there were a lot of others bragging about how light their new inflatable sit pads were. Compared mine to one of theirs, mine was lighter and did not require inflation.
Old 06-25-23, 06:05 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I do exactly that, and have for years.
Between nocturnal cramps and bathroom calls, I get up more than once a night. I use a pair of light, mesh, water shoes for around camp. They stay in the vestibule and I put them on before getting out, then take them off when I get back so dirt doesn't get tracked in. I tried writing Welcome, but it faded fast. I just wipe it off in the morning and fold it up and stuff it in the tent sack.
Old 06-26-23, 03:18 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
That Walmart pad will be a heavier option since it is made of NBR (nitrile rubber). Ozark Trails has them in store for around 5 bucks. The lighter option (but not as plush) is the closed cell foam that Walmart sells (blue foam pad) in regular sleeping pad size that you cut down to whatever size you want with alot left over, like Tourist in MSN mentions.
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 07-08-23, 01:11 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
An old foam yoga mat can be cut down to any size/shape. They're about $10 new, for cheap ones. For the fiscally/environmentally conservative, ask around at yoga studios, if anyone left behind an old foam mat that can be re-purposed; they sometimes have a pile of old mats to throw away.
Old 07-08-23, 06:11 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I believe that if you are "crawling into your tent", you are doing it all wrong. Try backing up to your tent, squatting. Put one hand behind you to control your drop speed, sit inside your tent, remove your footwear and swing your feet around so they are inside with you, piviting on your butt. No need to crawl into your tent!
Likes For headwind15:
Old 07-17-23, 08:36 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Of course you're right. But it turns out that at 70 years old that seemingly simple maneuver is a lot harder (if not impossible) than it was 30 years ago.

Originally Posted by headwind15
I believe that if you are "crawling into your tent", you are doing it all wrong. Try backing up to your tent, squatting. Put one hand behind you to control your drop speed, sit inside your tent, remove your footwear and swing your feet around so they are inside with you, piviting on your butt. No need to crawl into your tent!
Old 07-17-23, 11:13 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
We use FedEx Tyvek pak envolopes for the two vestibule doors. FedEx is/has phased them out though. You might be still able to get them for free.
​​​​​
Old 07-19-23, 07:47 PM
circlespinner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just back from a tour where I started using a contractor bag for this. I just got tired of dusty or muddy knees.