Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ergon ST Gel saddle tear

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ergon ST Gel saddle tear

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 04:11 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Ergon ST Gel saddle tear

I bought an Ergon ST Gel saddle 2.5 years ago and it suddenly showed a tear a few weeks ago. It was never in the sun and I don't wear items in my back pocket to have caused this. In the next days I will get in touch with Ergon to see if it can be replaced. If they deny me any help, what type of tape or other repair should I use to stop it from getting larger? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 10-16-23, 04:55 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
This is their warranty from their site stating they have a 2 year warranty.

For warranty consideration in the US or Canada, please present the item along with a receipt to the selling Ergon retailer or an Ergon retailer in your immediate area. The retailer will inspect the product for any manufacturing defects. If the retailer suspects a defect in manufacturing, they will contact the respective Ergon warranty department in your market for replacement. Ergon International (hereinafter “Ergon, our, we, us”) warrants to the original retail purchaser ("you") that the Ergon product for which you received this warranty is free from defects in material and workmanship for (2) two years from the date of original retail purchase.
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 10-16-23, 06:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
Whether they replace it or not, I would just keep riding that saddle. Unless that tear gets significantly larger, it’s nothing – will not affect functionality.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-16-23, 06:55 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Looks like you're out of the warranty period.
If it bothers you, try something like this: Amazon.com: Permatex 80902 Vinyl and Leather Repair Kit : Automotive
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-16-23, 07:18 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
wonder if a tube patch would work here.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 10-16-23, 07:45 AM
BikeLite

Thanks for repsonses. I did already hear from Ergon USA who reminded me of the 2 year warranty. They still said to fill out the form and send it in to see what Ergon Germany says.

I also have some clear tenacious tape that might be a good cover.

Last edited by BikeLite; 10-16-23 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-16-23, 11:18 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Was going to meet with a client and my boss showed me a tear in one of the seats in his Cadillac. About a week or so later, showed me the seat and you'd never know there was a tear. Might want to check with an auto shop to see what they might be able to do, or for a referral to who they use for interior repairs. Otherwise, seems like the Permatex product ref'd above would work.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 10-16-23, 11:43 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
I'm not sure I would go though the lengths for a $50-60 saddle, however, don't ride until it's fixed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B07H3KS2HY
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 10-16-23, 02:25 PM
BikeLite

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
I'm not sure I would go though the lengths for a $50-60 saddle, however, don't ride until it's fixed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B07H3KS2HY
It is interesting that my tear is in similar area.
Old 10-16-23, 03:57 PM
BikeLite

If you look at the original pic same spot on opposite side, it appears to be a very small spot of early breakdown of the microfiber.

"Saddle Care: To increase the longevity and appearance of your Ergon saddle, remove dirt and sweat that builds up from use. Avoid using petroleum based oils or creams on the cover – use only mild soap and water to clean off any dirt, then air dry. Do not use stiff brushes, solvents or other chemical products since they can cause the glue to soften and separate the cover from the foam. Loss of color in some covering materials are not covered under product warranty, as this is normally caused from direct heat and UV exposure. Failure to follow this advice may cause the material to crack, split or harden. "

"Saddle Care: To clean the saddle of dirt and sweat, it is advisable to use a soft cloth moistened with water and a little neutral soap. We do not advise the use of pressure washers. Do not use solvent-base products (oils or creams) on the saddle covering as they could cause cracking or detaching of the covering. Please note, the use of some saddle creams could damage the saddle covering. The loss of colour in some covering materials is not covered by the warranty, as this is normally caused by UV rays, sweat, heat, moisture. The saddle should be allowed to dry naturally out of direct sunlight. The saddle may develop noises in time as dirt is forced into the construction through use. Use a silicon based lubricant to apply to the affected area. It may be necessary to remove the saddle and clean the saddle clamp / rails if noises persist. "

Last edited by BikeLite; 10-16-23 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-17-23, 03:05 AM
BikeLite

I put a Tear Aid type B patch on it and we'll see how it holds up.
Old 10-17-23, 08:15 AM
BikeLite

And I'll wager that the dimpled area is a magnet for debris causing friction and breakdown. If I had another one I will cover dimples with vinyl tape and it will never happen...betcha.
Old 10-17-23, 08:26 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I'mm sure there are a lot of similar products, but Loctite vinyl repair works well for me.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-17-23, 11:47 AM
BikeLite

Originally Posted by 2old
I'mm sure there are a lot of similar products, but Loctite vinyl repair works well for me.
Is this the product you mean?
https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/p...eadhesive.html
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 10-17-23, 11:53 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Yes. I use it to "fill" small "fissures" and sometimes to patch larger areas with leather. It's also great to repair sneaker soles that have dislodged.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-19-23, 08:46 AM
shapiroeric

Bikes: Storck Aerfast Platinum

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 26 Posts
I would use a dab of flowable superglue and "tape" the tear shut while it sets.....
Likes For shapiroeric:
Old 10-20-23, 02:52 AM
BikeLite

My tear does have a small gape that may cause a problem. If/when that gape opens up (tear aid failure), I will fill with loctite and then add another tear-aid vinyl patch.