Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hookless Tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hookless Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 10:45 AM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Hookless Tires?

So I am getting a set of Zipp 303's soon. I am shopping for road tires. I wanted to try Michelin Power Road TLR's. They are listed for ENVE AR's as approved, bu they do not show as approved by Zipp. I emailed Michelin, no response yet. Seems logical they would be ok for the Zipps? Am I missing something? Anyother recommendations are welcome to.
Old 03-18-21, 11:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I haven't been going strictly by Zipps approved list - it's still petty abbreviated. I've been looking to manufacturers and the Enve hookless compatibility list.

So far, the following manufacturers have given the hookless blessing on:

Michelin Power TLRs
Pirelli P Zero Race and Race SL
Schwalbe Pro Ones
Goodyear Eagle F1

Keep in mind that there are some pressure (72.5psi max) and size restrictions, typically with tires measuring smaller than 28mm (though I assume that you'll be sticking to the 28mm or larger, anyway, with the 303S).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-18-21, 01:29 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I haven't been going strictly by Zipps approved list - it's still petty abbreviated. I've been looking to manufacturers and the Enve hookless compatibility list.

So far, the following manufacturers have given the hookless blessing on:

Michelin Power TLRs
Pirelli P Zero Race and Race SL
Schwalbe Pro Ones
Goodyear Eagle F1

Keep in mind that there are some pressure (72.5psi max) and size restrictions, typically with tires measuring smaller than 28mm (though I assume that you'll be sticking to the 28mm or larger, anyway, with the 303S).

Yup going with 28 Michelins. Thanks. I figured if ENVE said they work it should be ok with Zipps as the rim bead is straight on both. Just wanted some positive reinforcement lol

Last edited by Hapsmo911; 03-18-21 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-20-21, 09:21 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
So I am getting a set of Zipp 303's soon. I am shopping for road tires. I wanted to try Michelin Power Road TLR's. They are listed for ENVE AR's as approved, bu they do not show as approved by Zipp. I emailed Michelin, no response yet. Seems logical they would be ok for the Zipps? Am I missing something? Anyother recommendations are welcome to.
Not really, unless Zipp and Enve are exactly identical internally in the rim. You should only mount approved (by the rim manufacturer) tyres and always any recommendation, or you are on you own.
Old 03-20-21, 11:52 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Schwalbe Pro Ones FTW! They are hookless compatible and/or approved.
Old 03-20-21, 02:45 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Not really, unless Zipp and Enve are exactly identical internally in the rim. You should only mount approved (by the rim manufacturer) tyres and always any recommendation, or you are on you own.
ENVE has a few hookless rims at 23mm and 25mm, which matches the Zipp 303S and 303FC. Beyond that, many of the tire manufacturers that are making hookless compatible tires are ahead of the curve with regard to WAM, RAM and compatibility at various internal widths. I'm pretty comfortable, as a Zipp hookless rim user, interpolating from all of that available info, even if Zipp hasn't gotten around to giving a specific tire in a specific size their blessing.
Old 03-21-21, 07:25 AM
Racing Dan

Michelin is Not mentioned on the Sram/Zipp support site, but Im sure, if you dig deep enough, you can find arguments to "interpolate" that any tyre is perfectly fine, - but at the end of the day you are still experimenting and on your own if it blows off. Imo, at present hookless is a public experiment with No tyres designed specifically with a straight wall rim in mind. Id play it safe and not encourage anyone to venture outside specific manufacturer recommendations.
Old 03-21-21, 08:22 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Imo, at present hookless is a public experiment with No tyres designed specifically with a straight wall rim in mind.
That's only because you don't know what you're talking about. I've already mentioned multiple specific manufacturers and models a couple times, but you can't be bothered to confirm, because you've got no skin in the game and you just want to trash talk from the sidelines. Typical 41ier stuff.
Old 03-21-21, 09:17 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's only because you don't know what you're talking about. I've already mentioned multiple specific manufacturers and models a couple times, but you can't be bothered to confirm, because you've got no skin in the game and you just want to trash talk from the sidelines. Typical 41ier stuff.
Sure!