Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for the right commute bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-22, 05:16 PM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi folks,

My trusty electric s-pedelec was stolen last week and now I'm figuring out what to get for my daily commute. I'm personally not super fit and have been accustomed to a lot of the fun that the s-pedelec was giving; the high speed no matter the wind, and reduced sweating. However I am ready to challenge that and consider a non-ebike instead. My commute is a total of 25km per day of mostly flat tarmac, with a couple hills - so the e-bike has been slightly overkill.

I learned that I really appreciate the following:
  • Gates belt drive and hub gears, for minimum maintenance
  • Solid fenders and a rack for carrying a bag
  • Slightly more upright position (I struggle with neck and lower back pain)

I considered a road/race bike, but I can't seem to find one with the above parameters.

I also looked into gravel bikes but they seem like a poor fit as I don't plan to do any off-road.

Can you kind folks recommend any commuter/touring bike that might actually fit my case and that can be found in Europe? The budget is up to ~2000 Euros. Any advice is very welcome.
Old 09-10-22, 07:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
You've got a pretty big pot of gold to start with.

I'd probably start considering some of the hybrids. Some of the better ones are very similar to road bikes, but with a bit more upright posture. There are also "touring" bikes designed for carrying, as well has having handlebars with multiple hand positions. Butterfly Bars?

If you are still unsure what you want, also consider looking for good used bikes on your local used market. Drop a couple hundred Euros. Then do some customizing.

If you arrive at something you like, then buy a better version, or just keep it as a cheap commuter bike that you don't have to be terrified to lose or destroy.

VIVAX made some E-Assist bikes. The company went out of business 2 years ago, but there may be some bikes around. But, that is also a class of bikes that are really designed to be ridden, but with some short term assist to get you up a hill or something.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-11-22, 03:59 AM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Clifford! Can you give an example of a hybrid? I thought Gravel bikes were "road hybrids" but I now understand that they are more tuned to being able to go off road, compared to the tarmac-only roadies.
Old 09-11-22, 04:29 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I don't know.
Trek has the FX models with the top of the line being the FX Sport models.

But there are quite a few different brands and models listed as hybrids.

Last edited by CliffordK; 09-11-22 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 04:55 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
First off .... maybe look at this: https://discerningcyclist.com/best-b...kes-commuters/

Then decide if you are all-in for a pedal bike or want to test teh waters with a cheaper bike before pulling the trigger on a serious machine.

I would look for a bike with a flat bar, and clearance for wide (wider the better) tires. For short paved commutes 28-38 mm ought to be fine compromise between weight and comfort. You probably want a bike which can accept a rear rack (which I why I wouldn't look at CF frames.) I rode an old Bridgestone MB4 as a commuter for many many miles .... it was a rigid mountain bike but if had low gearing, fat tires, and upright riding position, and took a rack ....

However .... you might want to buy something relatively cheap and save up to buy a new electric. Great for you if your body can manage the daily commute, but if it cannot ....

Also .... I am not sure but I think that once you get into stuff like belt drive you are drastically limiting your options and raising the entry fee. No problem if this is going to be the bike you ride for the next however many years, or if your budget has room for multiple bikes .... but if you buy and expensive pedal-powered bike and don't like it, you would then need to go shopping for electric pedal-assist ......

This is a cheap and cheezy internal-gear hybrid, $350 or so .... (Not sure if you are overseas, if you can get it .... sorry.) FREE SHIP 48 STATES* 2023 FLASH Sale Gravity Swift3 Shimano Nexus 3spd Internal Hybrid Foot Brake (Coaster Brake) Super Hybrid Bikes Not a great bike but a decent cheap bike to fill a gap. Also Save up to 60% off new Aluminum Flat Bar Hybrid Bikes - Gravity Swift DLX24 | Save up to 60% off new Bicycles Online .... 8-speed model.

Likely you would be better off buying used, depending on the local market.

It depends if you are going all-in on a pedal bike or want to hedge your bets.

If you want a more upright seating position you want a flatbar/riser bar bike, I'd say. I have always like the Giant Fastroad (https://giantbikesusa.com/fastroad-sl-3/) but you would need to buy a much more upright stem and maybe riser bars. (When I say I "like" the bike it is based on appearance, spec, and very brief conversation with a gentleman who used one for commuting.)

This is the sort of bike I would recommend ....

For a more serious machine: https://www.prioritybicycles.com/pag...commuter-bike? And these are not particularly expensive. (I really like these bikes just based on specs .... who knows what they are really all about?)

Or check out the Treks mentioned in that article ... or whatever.

Commuting was always the best part of my working day. Good riding to you, Mr. Mrs. or Ms. Fandomii.
Likes For Maelochs: