Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Failed Triathletes...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Failed Triathletes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 10:06 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Failed Triathletes...

Failed Triathletes (a misnomer in this case)...

I really, really have a lot of respect for a human being who pushes themselves to a limit and meets that limit. I think that's pure awesomeness and it's definitely inspiring what man/woman can do.

I just saw one walk off of a bike race on his own. I think that took more strength than to try to ride it out and possibly injure himself more. That is such a sign of personal humility.

Another great example was when Chrissie Wellington got a flat back in the IM in Kona 2008 and lost her CO2. Someone (Rebekah Keat) passing her by tossed her theirs (and that speaks volumes about the sportsmanship of the rider that did it). She lost literal minutes, but she did what she had to do and not only got back into the race, but blasted by the other riders like they were standing still.

to you who pursue that discipline.

Last edited by 2ndGen; 06-25-11 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 10:42 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure what to say here. I've done a few tris now and unless it's an Ironman distance race, you shouldn't be quitting. Especially during the bike segment, which has a very low risk of overuse injury on race day, unlike running. And, the bike is only the 2nd segment - you should have more than enough in the tank to hammer both the bike AND the run unless it's an ironman distance race.

In any case, including the Ironman, you should be well prepared to tackle the race at hand. It's ok to quit if you suffer an unexpected on-course injury, crash, or some bizarro environmental circumstance that makes going further very unsafe, but I consider quitting due to fatigue just bad planning. Even for first-timers - I've met many first timers who, with the guidance of a coach, rocked their first IM. (They trained a LOT as well.)

Chrissie Wellington is unparalleled. She dominates the women's section so badly that the women literally race for 2nd place whenever she enters - it's a bigger gap than Alberto Contador has on his road racing peers. (Probably by 2-fold.)
Old 06-25-11, 10:50 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
And dont forget the pooping-in-the-bibshorts.

That takes a special kind of dedication.
Old 06-25-11, 11:38 AM
rmr1923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i thought this was gonna be a thread about going #2 on your bike
Old 06-25-11, 11:57 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,487 Times in 3,228 Posts
Time for someone to post the picture of the babe...

I salute her!
Old 06-25-11, 12:06 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo

I salute her!

Hard core...

Old 06-25-11, 01:05 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I did a triathlon last weekend. There was a dude lined up next me in some sort of "mankini". Think like a girl's sports bra with matching bike shorts all in red and white. And the top didn't cover any midriff, just the breast area with straps. He looked like the singer of Erasure. Mind you we were in the 17th wave of the shorter "sprint" division.

I wish he would quit, permanently.
Old 06-25-11, 01:08 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73

I wish he would quit, permanently.

Could've been some motivation for you to pick up the pace and out run him!

Ya' know? If life gives you lemons, make lemonade!
Old 06-25-11, 01:33 PM
canam73

Originally Posted by 2ndGen

Could've been some motivation for you to pick up the pace and out run him!

Ya' know? If life gives you lemons, make lemonade!
I didn't notice him after the start, but crap I sure hope he's faster than me in that outfit.

I did have a guy yell at me to get out of the way coming out of T1 when I was waiting for the folks in front of me. I let him through (cause he had an aero helmet, you know) and he re-paid the favor by stopping exactly on the mount line to get on his bike and held me up. Then it turned out he was a crappy cyclist and as I caught him he veered out because he wasn't paying attention so I screamed at him to hold his line. I think he chased me for a bit.
Old 06-25-11, 03:35 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

I salute her!
No I meant this fine filly...

Old 06-25-11, 04:18 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No I meant this fine filly...
Ooooo!

Old 06-25-11, 04:27 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jessi Stensland.
Old 06-25-11, 04:29 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Ding, ding, ding!
Old 06-25-11, 04:36 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rule 42: A bike race shall never be preceeded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
Old 06-25-11, 04:57 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice b(uhum)ike.

Old 06-25-11, 05:05 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
She doesn't really belong in a fail thread.
Old 06-25-11, 07:05 PM
canam73

Originally Posted by Blackdays
Rule 42: A bike race shall never be preceeded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
Do you really need that stuff to figure out how you want to live your life?
Old 06-25-11, 07:38 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To add to the triathlete fail female picture off-topic thread:

Jenny Fletcher. I actually had the pleasure of getting my rear handed to me by her on a training ride in LA with a group of roadies on a hammerfest hill climb. She was strong enough to hang with the very front group, which was way ahead of me. Hottie.
Old 06-25-11, 07:41 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackdays
I tend to agree.

IMHO, Triathlon is grossly over rated by the general public, and bike racing is grossly underated.

I'll admit that doing an Iron Man at an elite level is very impressive, and somethin gI could never do.

But simply finishing a triathlon is simply a matter of not drowning and and having enough endurance to finish.

Whereas actually racing your bike, takes a level of speed power, endurance, bike handling and guts that some folks simply don't have.

Yet when I tell my Co- workers and acquaintences that I did a Triathlon (albeit a sprint) they rhink that's amazing. When I tell them I won a crit, they ask how long, I say 50 minutes plus 3 laps and they are not impressed.

The myth of traithlon is way overhyped, and on the other hand people outside bike racing just don't begin to understand.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-25-11, 08:00 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I tend to agree.

IMHO, Triathlon is grossly over rated by the general public, and bike racing is grossly underated.

I'll admit that doing an Iron Man at an elite level is very impressive, and somethin gI could never do.

But simply finishing a triathlon is simply a matter of not drowning and and having enough endurance to finish.

Whereas actually racing your bike, takes a level of speed power, endurance, bike handling and guts that some folks simply don't have.

Yet when I tell my Co- workers and acquaintences that I did a Triathlon (albeit a sprint) they rhink that's amazing. When I tell them I won a crit, they ask how long, I say 50 minutes plus 3 laps and they are not impressed.

The myth of traithlon is way overhyped, and on the other hand people outside bike racing just don't begin to understand.
Overall I agree with the public's misunderstanding of triathlon vs cycling, but you're comparing apples to oranges for the racing part of it.

If you want to compare your criterium victory, you have to compare it to winning your division, if not the outright overall of the triathlon you enter. And that is hellishly hard - most local triathlons have up and coming elites/pros trying to earn a procard, and you have to beat them to place in the overall. That is definitely as hard, and arguably harder than most Cat4-5 local races.

The main problem with the public perception of triathlon is that they automatically equate triathlon = Ironman. Which is far, far from the case, and definitely over-hypes the event, but also draws participants who can do a 'sprint' and feel like they're part of this amazing endurance event (when it's clearly not one.)
Old 06-25-11, 08:10 PM
canam73

I tend to agree.

Do you ride/race to impress your co-workers? If you're competing for your enjoyment then what difference does it make whether you prefer crits, triathlons or bowling?
Old 06-25-11, 08:27 PM
EKCooper

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Synapse 7 w/ Ultegra Upgrade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tend to agree.

I've seen plenty of people come out to do a triathlon and find they're way in over their heads (so to speak) just on the swim (even on a sprint and certainly just on an Olympic distance without even a half-iron). And, I've seen runners not realize how hard it is to run after riding a bike. And to combine all three and do it without walking on the run? Well, that's certainly some fun.

And, maybe there isn't as much ego in triathlon, which is some of what I got from the first post. Misunderstood? Maybe. "grossly over-rated"? Nah. Fun? Amen.
Old 06-25-11, 08:30 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by guadzilla
And dont forget the pooping-in-the-bibshorts.
Your own bib shorts, or someone else's?
Old 06-25-11, 08:49 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
To add to the triathlete fail female picture off-topic thread:

Jenny Fletcher. I actually had the pleasure of getting my rear handed to me by her on a training ride in LA with a group of roadies on a hammerfest hill climb. She was strong enough to hang with the very front group, which was way ahead of me. Hottie.

Well done H!

I remember this "chick" blow by me as I just entered the path on the Hudson River.
My manness screamed "You ain't gonna let a girl pass you are you!"
I began the pursuit and jumped on her wheel, caught up with her and just chased.
I could've passed her a few times, but decided to just pace behind her (about 5 lengths back).
Anyway, my lungs were exploding, but I refused to let her go (I had already put in
25 miles and this was my first real ride of the Spring after a long time of not riding).

It wasn't until about 90 New York City blocks later that she turned around and that I realized that she was a friggin' triathlete!
And she wasn't even trying hard. She gave me a nice smile (as if she was shocked I was on her tail). I ended up paying for that.
I was in mega pain, but I didn't quit. I should've. But I'm stupid like that. I had more pride than lungs that day.

Here's to the women who kick our collective arses! Whether on or off the bike!

Old 06-25-11, 08:53 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because it's "amazing" when a *gasp* woman is faster than you!

Some of you need a reality check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.