Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

650c wheeled road bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

650c wheeled road bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-23, 11:41 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Still have three 650c wheeled bikes and raced back in the day on spinergy wheels. Good wheelset but plagued with issues early on, seeing that they are the wrong size I would sell them. You'll get your money back if not a tad extra because there are still people out there looking for them (650c) because I sold an old set about a year ago for more than that. Just post in the right spots and you'll recoup your money, good luck with whatever you do.

Old 04-30-23, 11:56 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
LarrySellerz is what makes BF worth visiting.

Keep up the good work
BF's own Ken M
Old 04-30-23, 12:16 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
For what its worth I'm going to put the spinergies on a bike for me (6'2.) I also have a 47 frame bike which I'm probably going to fix and give to one of the girls I work with (the one im thinking about has a boyfriend but her bike is hella slow she could use it) because its just taking up space and I don't want to give myself the opportunity to ride it anymore, and im not gonna put the spinergies on that bike even if they are more suitable for a small bike.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-30-23 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-30-23, 12:17 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
BF's own Ken M
John,

I hadn't known of Ken M until your post. His Wikipedia page says:

Kenneth McCarthy (born c. 1980),[1] popularly known as Ken M, is an Internet troll known for his comments on news websites such as Yahoo! and The Huffington Post. Unlike the more common associations for the term troll on the internet, Ken's comments are usually benign, with his comments displaying a complete lack of understanding of the featured topic, while other commenters take him seriously.

and:

Ken M worked as a copywriter for Comedy Central and a columnist for CollegeHumor[1] and started posting to comments sections as Ken M in 2011 on various websites, mostly Yahoo! and The Huffington Post.

This is how I perceive Larry; somebody's creative outlet. Thanks for the reference.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 04-30-23, 12:38 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Do the 2 bikes have a similar bb height? Just curious about that and some of the other differences. My friend with the small wheeled Moots was able to ride with a flat back and was able to get in a line with fast riders and get pulled along.

Didn't a winner of RAAM use 650c wheels one year? I rode a bit with her at the Solvang Century when the winners of RAAM would show up to help promote the event. She was so low and her back was flat like a table. Cathy something, I think. I cold look it up, I guess.

All of the smaller women in my club are using 700c wheels. There have been a few on 650 set ups but it's rare. There have been a couple of Terry Symmetry bikes in the past.
Toni Rominger was a Swiss professional rider (he won both the Tour of Spain and Italy) that used 650C wheels during some stages of the Tour de France. Production companies use 700C wheels for small bicycles because of accounting reasons and not because they work better. In order to get around the toe overlap problem, they design the frame with a steep seat angle and very shallow head angle. Toes will avoid hitting the front wheel with that design but it doesn't avoid that it is a poor design. Companies may compromise other frame design aspects like raising the BB height too. This makes no sense as it is likely they will prefer shorter cranks that will allow a lower BB height.

There was a time when some Japanese bicycle companies were making production bicycles with 650C wheels. These were phased out for inventory reasons. There weren't enough short people buying them to make it worthwhile to continue making them. Too bad.

The way that I make a frame is to 1st do a proper bicycle fitting. I then design the frame around their seat and handlebar position. If I am making a frame for a good recreational rider I want their BB height to be as low as possible (unless they ride in fast pace lines pedaling through corners). Their BB height will be based on their crank length. This BB height will be the same whether they are using 650 or 700C wheels. Often small riders want to have toe clearance and this is where smaller wheels becomes essential. Women in particular find that they are not comfortable riding a bike with a steep seat angle.

Here is a picture of the 650C bike I made and painted for my daughter. She is tall enough at almost 5'4" that I could have made it with 700C wheels but 650C work better for her.

The 2 tone gray paint with white and yellow pearl accents I thought worked well with the Dura Ace colors.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-30-23, 12:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
This thread is makin’ my eyes rain.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-30-23, 02:26 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Larry overpaid for those wheels. I have a 650c rear for one of my lowracers. I got it about 15 years ago for $175. Note that these wheels have a rep for disintegrating, especially the front for some reason. Probably why I got a read only and not a set. If they hit a pothole, the joint between the rim and blades can loosen and eventually cause a catastrophic failure. If you use them, inspect them before every ride. Although I really like the wheel, I have a backup wheel that's ready at a moment's notice.

Yes, you will need a 26" bike, most likely a tri bike or maybe a road bike for a smaller person. The brakes on a 559 mountain bike will move far enough to work on 650c, but then it'll be the wrong geometry. Anyone who questions that they might be 650B is a newb and just doesn't know better. Forgive them.
Old 04-30-23, 02:49 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Yes, you will need a 26" bike, most likely a tri bike or maybe a road bike for a smaller person. The brakes on a 559 mountain bike will move far enough to work on 650c, but then it'll be the wrong geometry. Anyone who questions that they might be 650B is a newb and just doesn't know better. Forgive them.
On my daughter's frame, I carefully positioned the rear brake bridge (and the length of the fork) so that by taking off the 39/49mm brakes used with her 650C wheels and replaced them with 47/57 mm brakes instead, I could use 559 wheels that would allow for wider tires. Of course it is a bit of a bother and expense to make those switches (but not that much bother). However this change makes her bicycle more multi-functional so she can use it as a gravel bike instead of a fast road riding bike if she wants.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-30-23, 03:20 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
On my daughter's frame, I carefully positioned the rear brake bridge (and the length of the fork) so that by taking off the 39/49mm brakes used with her 650C wheels and replaced them with 47/57 mm brakes instead, I could use 559 wheels that would allow for wider tires. Of course it is a bit of a bother and expense to make those switches (but not that much bother). However this change makes her bicycle more multi-functional so she can use it as a gravel bike instead of a fast road riding bike if she wants.
Nice looking frame, did she get to pick the colors? Do you make forks or is that a cf fork? Would you use a different wheelbase depending on the wheel size?
Old 04-30-23, 03:50 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by big john
Nice looking frame, did she get to pick the colors? Do you make forks or is that a cf fork? Would you use a different wheelbase depending on the wheel size?
Yes she picked the colors after listening to my suggestions. Yes it is a carbon fork but I usually make forks. I have my framebuilding class students make their own forks as well. It is a skill they will need to know if they want to make more in the future. I did make the chainstays on her frame a bit shorter than if I was using 700C wheels. She is a very fast and fit girl and I made this bike to fit how she likes to ride.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 05-02-23, 04:39 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
Are you qualified to repair carbon fiber wheels? Given your track record if you mess with them then please don't sell or give them to anyone but the garbage man.

They already sound like a liability, and I'm not looking forward to your post about how they failed on you mid ride.
Old 05-02-23, 06:50 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by yaboiclarke
Would you be willing to sell these wheels? I have a bike with 650c size wheels
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Once I repair them I'll consider selling them to you
This is not that kind of forum, guys. You must have a paid membership to sell anything on these forums, but even then you can sell items only in the marketplace forum.
Old 05-02-23, 08:02 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I have nice epoxy at work and am set up to degas it, shouldn't hurt and it should give a visual indicator for if the nick is getting worse.
Old 05-02-23, 10:29 AM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.