Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Does this configuration exist or strictly DIY?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-21, 05:35 PM
balt
‘96 Little 5

Bikes: Ribble Eliminator, Specialized FatBoy, Cannondale Quick Cx, Schwinn Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Maybe I could cobble together this configuration, but does anyone manufacture it?
  • single speed
  • belt drive
  • coaster brake
  • aluminum frame
  • flat bar urban bike
This would be an upgrade from my current commuter bike which has those traits except it is a steel frame with a conventional chain.

The closest bikes so far:
1. Fezzari Simbi - It's a three speed.
2. Priority Classic Plus - Ditto, three speed again.
3. Schindelhauer Viktor/Siegfried - No coaster brake.
4. Used Trek District - No coaster brake.

Last edited by balt; 05-01-21 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 05:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a belt drive coaster brake, but that would be a great commuter bike option.
Old 04-28-21, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
A track bike wouldn't have a coaster brake or any brake because it would be quite dangerous to stop on the track in the middle of race. You can try Schindlehaur but I don't think they have any coaster brake stuff but regular rim or disc brakes will stop you a lot better. You could certainly ask them if their frames can handle a coaster brake but I wouldn't really want to run a coaster brake unless I was building a bike to ride on flat land short distances at the beach.
Old 04-29-21, 08:37 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I agree with veganbikes. I am planning on someday making a single speed up with a coaster brake just for simplicity. But I will only ride it on certain paths and never in busy traffic. When I was a kid I only ever had a coaster brake, so I didn't have the choice. I'm just thankful I never got into any situations where I needed to make a full-on panic stop.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 04-29-21, 10:39 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The original Priority Classic (not the Classic Plus) is as close as I could find. Internal gears, though - not sure about material.

And FYI, Gates doesn't recommend relying only on a fixed hub or coaster brake set up with belt drive, and Veer says that they "require that you use redundant hand brakes along with coaster brakes when using our belt drive."
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-01-21, 04:30 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
balt , there are some that come close (including the one Rolla suggested). I don't know of a model with all five of your desired features.

The Trek District, which was mentioned in another thread recently, has single speed, Gates belt drive, aluminum frame, and riser bar. But it came with rim brakes. And it hasn't been produced in several years.

Trek also built a bike on the same frame but with disc front brake and the horrible Shimano "roller" hub brake integral to their Nexus IGH (so eight speeds, or seven more than you're looking for).
Old 05-02-21, 02:34 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Get one of the 3-speed ones.
Figure out the most discrete way of locking it into whichever gear that is direct drive. Done.
Old 05-02-21, 05:38 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Typically on a 3 speed internally geared hub, the middle gear is direct drive.

This may not always be the case, but it is the most economical solution as the lower gear and higher gear use the same internal gear trains.

For example, the popular Sturmey Archer is direct drive in the middle, top gear is "plus a third" and bottom gear is "minus a quarter".

More formally: top gear is direct drive x 1.333 and bottom gear is direct drive/1.333 .