Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where to find mounting brackets/hardware for baskets and racks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 12:45 PM
BrenZan

Bikes: Trek DS2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Hi all, does anyone know where to get the mounting hardware/stays for racks and baskets? Most bike stores I go to don't seem to carry them independent of their racks/baskets, so I figure hardware stores like Home Depot carry a rough analogue that I could DIY into something that works - but I don't know what they're called exactly; are they called brackets or something else?

I'm looking to attach a basket to the fork eyelets via stays (like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1q7...garys.projects - but the IKEA ones he suggested are too short for my bike/basket) for reference.

(hope this is the right subforum)
Old 04-13-23, 01:53 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
A regular front rack would be much stronger than the contraption constructed in that video. You can zip-tie the basket of your choice to the rack.

If you want to go the DIY route, I think a search for "bicycle rack mount hardware" would be a good place to start - although you might end up paying more for that stuff than a cheap rack would cost.
Old 04-13-23, 02:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Search "bicycle rack P clips" and you'll find all kinds along with related hardware. The rest is up to you, but will probably involve a rack with a basket or box attached.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-13-23, 02:57 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
"P" clamps, also known as Adel clamps, are often used for such purposes. I buy the metal type with rubber(ish) cushioning. https://www.amazon.com/adel-clamps/s?k=adel+clamps; I consider plastic clamps insufficiently strong.
The perforated metal strap used by plumbers is also useful for improvised hangers and brackets. Hardware stores also have various metal brackets and odd pieces which can be pressed into service; creativity is the key word here.
Don't forget the possibilities offered by stainless steel lock wire; I use 0.041" https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Cable-Sp...005BS3V3O?th=1
Old 04-13-23, 05:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by BrenZan
Hi all, does anyone know where to get the mounting hardware/stays for racks and baskets? Most bike stores I go to don't seem to carry them independent of their racks/baskets, so I figure hardware stores like Home Depot carry a rough analogue that I could DIY into something that works - but I don't know what they're called exactly; are they called brackets or something else?

I'm looking to attach a basket to the fork eyelets via stays (like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1q7...garys.projects - but the IKEA ones he suggested are too short for my bike/basket) for reference.

(hope this is the right subforum)
...I make fender stays out of aluminum rod stock sometimes, but only because fenders don't weigh very much.
The people telling you to use a regular rack for support, then fasten a basket to that are concerned about the issue of load.

I would not use that basket in your video for anything heavier than a newspaper.

The metal P clamp (with vinyl coating) is a standard hardware item, that you can find at Home Depot or most hardware stores.
They are usually over in plumbing and electrical, where they get sold to hang pipe or conduit (sometimes wiring, enclosed behind sheetrock).

Used Blackburn (and similar) rear racks are a common bike co-op item. The one here has an endless supply of them.
You use the P clamps to fasten them to the seat stays, if there is no threaded fitting on the frame there. Then the legs get bolted to the dropout fender eyelets (assuming your bicycle has those).
Old 04-13-23, 05:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://carsoncitybikeshop.com/baske...hoCcqUQAvD_BwE

​​​​​​https://www.modernbike.com/rack-parts

​​​​​​https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wright-P...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-13-23, 06:46 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I'll be honest, this takes a bit of engineering innovation from a DIY perfectionist.

Some folks can half-arse everything with zip ties.

My installs look like they are done from the factory.

There is no one stop shop.

Fastener shops, metal stock suppliers, local hardware stores, mail order, I source whatever I need to have on hand.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-13-23, 07:54 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I'll be honest, this takes a bit of engineering innovation from a DIY perfectionist....
My installs look like they are done from the factory...
You can do surprisingly good work on some aluminum stock with a hacksaw, hand drill, a file and some patience. The rear rack mount on one of my bikes with a mono-stay rear is a cut-down handlebar mount for a water bottle, with some added brackets made from aluminum angle.
Old 04-14-23, 05:20 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I believe the MIK system (Mounting is Key) turns any front or back panier rack into a tooless quick disconnect for any other bag, basket, whatever.

mik-click.com

Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-14-23, 05:52 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Most shops can order what you need and get it in about a week.
Old 04-17-23, 04:07 PM
BrenZan

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Sadly as I reside up north these aren't available to me, but I'll check out something like Fastenal next time.

Originally Posted by tyrion
A regular front rack would be much stronger than the contraption constructed in that video. You can zip-tie the basket of your choice to the rack.

If you want to go the DIY route, I think a search for "bicycle rack mount hardware" would be a good place to start - although you might end up paying more for that stuff than a cheap rack would cost.
Unfortunately, on a student budget there is not enough long-term viability for buying front racks (or convincing my "clients" to invest in one anyhow)

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Don't forget the possibilities offered by stainless steel lock wire; I use 0.041" https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Cable-Sp...005BS3V3O?th=1
How do lock nuts compare as a substitute?

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Most shops can order what you need and get it in about a week.
Will definitely keep that in mind for more polished projects, thanks

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Search "bicycle rack P clips" and you'll find all kinds along with related hardware. The rest is up to you, but will probably involve a rack with a basket or box attached.
Sorry, I should have specified that by what I was asking about were the arms (I guess that's the proper term) that attach the basket/rack to the bike rather than something like a clamp, my bad - though I'll definitely be using those for any bikes that don't have eyelets though, so thanks

I ended up going to Home Depot to look for anything I could use as arms, but all I could find were these bars(?) they use for cabinets

It's a little ugly, but it works for whatever my friend will need to carry (probably a bag of groceries or a backpack), and I'm considering a repainting in the future anyways
Likes For BrenZan:
Old 04-17-23, 11:51 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
I ended up going to Home Depot to look for anything I could use as arms, but all I could find were these bars(?) they use for cabinets
...for future reference, there is usually an entire section devoted to metal stock pieces. They come in various bar, angle, and rod configurations, as well as a couple of choices in material.
So you can find aluminum bar stock, and aluminum angle stock at home depot too. Aluminum Metal Stock As you can see, they also sell aluminum rod and square tubing as well.

​​​​​​​Not sure if it will work better for you or not, but they sell it at the Home Depot near me.
Old 04-18-23, 12:22 AM
BrenZan

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I was actually considering using aluminum bars when I was at Home Depot, but I realized that I don't have the means to work it reliably at my disposal (all I could effectively do was maybe drill a hole or two, with no vice or torch I feel like I'd snap it easily)

My kingdom for shop equipment and the knowledge to use it....
Likes For BrenZan:
Old 04-18-23, 01:45 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Brenzan, you're asking about how to work metal, which you will certainly need to do, without tools. That ain't gonna happen. You will get the knowledge with use of those tools and like the rest of us by making mistakes.

For taking on projects in lighter metals such as making up supports to adapt a wire basket to a bike you'll need your drill and a few other things. Find a spot where you live or where you work or go to school where there is a table or bench that folks will not mind if you mark it up a bit. Adding to your hand drill I'd suggest the following to start out;
  • Two F clamps that are 30cm / 12 inches long for clamping stuff.
  • A clamp on vise that is around 5 lbs in weight. So something bigger than a toy. But not overly heavy to carry.
  • A hacksaw and a few 32TPI and 24TPI blades. Then learn to use it. For aluminium you can use it more or less like a wood saw. But when cutting steel use a slower stroke and firm but not excessive pressure. Done right you'll feel the teeth dig in and a nice spray of swarf runs out the far side of a cut. Done poorly you'll feel the blade lightly skating over the metal or binding all the time. For steel a good speed is a touch faster than 1 stroke per second for a 12 inch blade. And enough pressure to feel it bite in and need a good push on the forward stroke. And ease off the pressure on the return to reduce dulling of the blade.
  • You'll need a few files. For the round files go to a place that deals strongly in chainsaws and buy a few sizes of their round files. Cheap as chips compared to other options and they are almost always superb cutting files that really last. For a medium flat file something from Home Depot is as good as any. Files are used in the same way as the hacksaw. Slow and firm over steel and ease the pressure to a glide on the return. Files are really wide saws. They are not a fancy metal sandpaper. So treat them like saws. And don't let them rub against each other. They'll last for a long time if you do this. And not long at all if you don't. For aluminium use much lighter pressure and you can bump up the stroke speed a bit. If you use too firm a pressure it clogs the teeth of the file rapidly. There's things like chalking the file and other ideas. But in aluminium if you are clogging the file you're pressing too hard and the metal chips are too much and they stick due to the pressure.
  • Some electrical tape makes for a great temporary clamp for holding round tube and rods together where clamps just fail. Get a roll or two. Same with duct tape.
  • On top of that there's the usual metric tools for working on bicycles. If you don't have that already then figure on adding it.
  • You'll also need a variety of pliers, cutters, vice grips and screwdrivers. I'd say get a driver set that uses good replaceable tips. One handle is OK but buy a second handle that is handle only. Or handle with only a few tips.
  • You'll need a combination square and a nice ruler as well. You can get by with a tape measure but it's nice to have a metal ruler with finer lines and small increments to work with more accuracy.
  • EDIT- Almost forgot a tool box. Or if you commute to where you would be working by bike a sturdy back pack to put all your tools into.
That should get you started on a nice kit to work rod, small tube or flat bar stock for what you're wanting to do.
Old 04-18-23, 04:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I've experimented with making some of my own accessories, including rack hardware & even a front rack. nothing easy about it. but it can be fun!
Old 04-18-23, 02:58 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I suggest you use a rear rack basket system like this instead. Front baskets make steering weird when you have a heavy load.
https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime-products