Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot road bike stem steerer size? When is 22.2mm not 22.2mm?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 03:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10966 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts

I have an old 531 tube Peugeot(unsure of model) that has a 22.2 stem in the steerer. It is a 25.4mm bar clamp, and too short, so I want to swap it for a stem that has a 26.0 clamp and longer reach.

The black stem in the Peugeot is 22.2mm in diameter.
I have 5 22.2mm stems on hand that don't fit into the steerer, including 2 that would work for this project.

What?!

Below are pics. The black stem is in the steerer and you can see its stamped 22.2mm.
There are 2 pics of stems that don't fit into the steerer.
And a pic of the full bike. Anyone know the model? The serial number is poorly stamped.

Also, this isn't an issue of me wanting to use some long stem that can't fit. The stems I want are the same length as the stem that fits.

Old 05-08-23, 03:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

*** I considered the steerer could be 22.0 which was, at one point, a French size. The black stem is marked 22.2 though and it fits. I have caliper measured stems and the steerer tube, nothing seems wildly out of place(all within a small margin). ***

I could sand or file out the steerer tube?
I could sand down the stem?
I could throw this project away in frustration because I wont actually ride it nearly enough to justify the time spent?
Old 05-08-23, 03:38 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
As minor as the match must be I'd say sand the stem. A reamer chasing the steerer tube might not hurt either. I always feel better messing with the stem though.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-08-23, 04:04 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
If you know the position the stem will be in once inserted you can tape above that "insertion" line while sanding to avoid scratching up the visible parts
Likes For Headpost:
Old 05-08-23, 05:23 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I find that it can take a surprising amount of time/effort to sand down a stem even one tenth of a millimeter or less, that's just .004"!

French stems can be found as small as 21.8mm diameter, and normal stems can be as small as 22mm though stamped 22.2mm.

This represents the normal range of clearance being between .1 and .2mm, with the steerer ID being more accurate (and much harder to change without a reamer).

I probably wouldn't sand a black stem, unless it were of little value and if I had already firmly established exactly what height I would be setting it at.

My Origin8 stems say 22.2 but fit every one of my old French frames, Urago, Peugeot, etc.

Last edited by dddd; 05-09-23 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 05-08-23, 07:34 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
As others have said, 22mm isn't 22mm on every stem.

Are you sure the steerer is where it's binding? Sheldon talks about the headset locknut being the limiting factor, which would require different work to make it fit.

I'd loosen the locknut and see if those 2 non-fitting stems are being held up there before sanding down the stem.

French stems are .2mm narrower where they fit into the steering column. A standard 7/8" / 22.2mm stem won't usually fit. In many cases, the limiting factor for fitting the stem in will be the headset locknut, rather than the steerer itself. Try removing the locknut before sanding down a stem. If the headset locknut is slightly tighter than the steerer, it can be enlarged easily with a small grinding wheel.

In cases where the stem really won't fit into the steerer, a few minutes work on the stem with sandpaper will usually do the trick. Wrap the sandpaper around the stem, grip it with your hand, and turn the stem round and round until it fits. You only need to remove 0.1 mm, which is 1/250", not much at all!
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#stems
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 05-08-23, 07:54 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Is this a PX 10? I've never seen one quite like this. That's a good looking bike.
Old 05-08-23, 07:57 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds

Are you sure the steerer is where it's binding? Sheldon talks about the headset locknut being the limiting factor, which would require different work to make it fit.

I'd loosen the locknut and see if those 2 non-fitting stems are being held up there before sanding down the stem.

Sometimes the locknut hole and the steerer tube hole are not concentric as well. When it's a close fit that can be an issue.
Old 05-08-23, 08:07 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Get the coarsest grade of emery cloth you can find, then sit down and spin it around the stem under the min insert line until it fits in the steerer. Last one I did was an Origin 8 for Pug UO-8 and it took about an hour of mindless spinning while I watched a movie to get it to fit.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 05-08-23, 09:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by C9H13N
Get the coarsest grade of emery cloth you can find, then sit down and spin it around the stem under the min insert line until it fits in the steerer. Last one I did was an Origin 8 for Pug UO-8 and it took about an hour of mindless spinning while I watched a movie to get it to fit.
Yeah, I'll probably sand down a stem.
Old 05-08-23, 09:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by bikemig
Is this a PX 10? I've never seen one quite like this. That's a good looking bike.
Good Q. I have 0 idea. I know almost nothing about Peugeot, the serial number is poorly done, and I really know almost nothing about Peugeot bikes.
Unless it's the classic white px10, I can't tell one from another.
I do like it, for what it's worth. Planned to make it a single speed for simple quick use a couple times a week this summer and fall.

Oh- I suck and owe you an email too!
Old 05-08-23, 09:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by billytwosheds

It's for sure not stuck on the headset. I had the fork removed and the other stems wont fit. I filed the inside of the steerer a bit to see if that helped, but it wasn't close to enough.

I'll take some emery cloth then sandpaper to the stem and call it a day.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-09-23, 06:13 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Good Q. I have 0 idea. I know almost nothing about Peugeot, the serial number is poorly done, and I really know almost nothing about Peugeot bikes.
Unless it's the classic white px10, I can't tell one from another.
I do like it, for what it's worth. Planned to make it a single speed for simple quick use a couple times a week this summer and fall.

Oh- I suck and owe you an email too!

The other posts I think answered your underlying question about the stem. There is enough variation in terms of sizing that sometimes a 22.2 drops in. People have had good luck with Origin 8 and Nitto stems dropping in. Sometimes the problem is the headset nut but not with your bike.

I think the lettering is wrong on this bike since that looks more modern than the bike. The bike--given the lack of top tube cable braze ons--should be from the 70s or earlier and the lettering doesn't look right.

That looks to be a full Reynolds 531 sticker. If this were a PX 10, the sticker could be right. The next model down was a PR 10 and that had 531 main frame.

Is there any chrome underneath the paint? That might help you figure out what this is as well.

The model doesn't matter for your purposes. This will make a fine riding bike. I'm a big fan of Peugeots. I worked in a shop in New Orleans in the mid to late 80s that sold a lot of them. I have a 1982 PXN 10 that I ride and it is a fine bike. I also have a 1970s PR 10 that I've been meaning to turn into a single speed.
Old 05-09-23, 06:19 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
FWIW it may not be a Peugeot.

Wrap sandpaper around something round and sand the inside of the steerer versus the stem.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 05-09-23, 07:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by bikemig
I think the lettering is wrong on this bike since that looks more modern than the bike. The bike--given the lack of top tube cable braze ons--should be from the 70s or earlier and the lettering doesn't look right.
Originally Posted by miamijim
FWIW it may not be a Peugeot.
Wrap sandpaper around something round and sand the inside of the steerer versus the stem.

Ok, now I am curious about the frame's 'authenticity'. It sure seems like a Peugeot, mostly because its just a simple gray and professional paint, and the decal is under clear. Basically, it isnt a quick/poor garage paint job. And it just seems odd to choose to mislabel with Peugeot(vs many other brands/models).

Anyways, Miami- I did try sanding/filing the steerer, but didnt get it large enough after a lot of work. I thought about buying a halfround bastard file instead of using the files that I have(which are half round or round and the coarseness varies). Something like that would get the job done a lot faster, and I could then just clean it up with the finer files.
Filing the steerer would mean I dont 'ruin' a stem, in case I want to use it on another bike someday.
Old 05-09-23, 07:58 AM
bikemig 

Those are simplex drop outs and a 22.0 stem which points to this being French. What about the BB? Seatpost size? Looks French to me in which case likely a Peugeot. By the way, that Stronglight A9 headset is one of the best vintage headsets ever made.
Old 05-09-23, 08:04 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
It’s looks to be a refinished PX10 from 1973 or earlier. I doubt we’ll be able to determine the exact year without any remaining original decals. I think the Reynolds 531 decal with the thick gold border is too recent for a Nervex lugged PX10. I believe that would be from 74 or later but it is a full Reynolds DB tubing frame and fork. The use of this decal was probably just a guess by the refinisher, it’s close enough.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 05-09-23 at 08:20 AM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 05-09-23, 09:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

The bb shell looks to have 280365 stamped into it.
And bikemig - yes the headset is really nice.

Old 05-09-23, 09:27 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I'm surprised that pictured Origin 8 doesn't fit. Sanding a stem is so much work that I never finished and used an Origin 8 on my Motobecane. Before I started sanding the stem, I tried reaming the steerer and got nowhere.

If those bottle bosses are braised, I wonder why they didn't also braze on DT shifter bosses, and TT cable guides. Maybe the PO used it as a fixie?
Old 05-09-23, 11:24 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I've re-sized many stems, even the ID of the bar clamp (using a dowel wrapped with coarse beltsander paper).

For reducing the OD of the quill, I remove the headset locknut first, then force in the stem a bit with some back and forth rotation, which leaves evidence exactly where some "cutting" of the surface is needed.
For this step, I use a file, then re-insert the stem and repeat this whole iterative process perhaps 20 times until the stem slides in with a minimum of stock removal.
I really find this to be the fastest way that also removes only the interfering metal instead of removing metal uniformly from a quill that often is not quite as round as it looks.
Also, the angle-cut style of quills don't really lend themselves to wrapping sandpaper around them at the bottom end (a location where the first few go's with the file immediately address).

Technique using a sharp flat file should develop readily to achieve accurate twist/swipes across the high spots/scrapes along the periphery of the quill.

Stems so modified may not quite fit a different French bike, since steerer's aren't all quite exactly the same size or roundness. More tune-up with the file might be needed as well as perhaps adding some insertion depth.
Likes For dddd:
Old 05-09-23, 06:18 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Ok, now I am curious about the frame's 'authenticity'. It sure seems like a Peugeot, mostly because its just a simple gray and professional paint, and the decal is under clear. Basically, it isnt a quick/poor garage paint job. And it just seems odd to choose to mislabel with Peugeot(vs many other brands/models).

Anyways, Miami- I did try sanding/filing the steerer, but didnt get it large enough after a lot of work. I thought about buying a halfround bastard file instead of using the files that I have(which are half round or round and the coarseness varies). Something like that would get the job done a lot faster, and I could then just clean it up with the finer files.
Filing the steerer would mean I dont 'ruin' a stem, in case I want to use it on another bike someday.
Don't remove ANY material from the steerer.
(It's ok to remove a burr from the end.)
You don't have very much to start with, and part of that is probably weakened already by having threads and/or a slot cut.
The wall of the stem is much thicker; reduce that instead as the percentage of material removed is vastly less, and so is the reduction in strength.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-09-23, 06:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by oneclick
Don't remove ANY material from the steerer.
(It's ok to remove a burr from the end.)
You don't have very much to start with, and part of that is probably weakened already by having threads and/or a slot cut.
The wall of the stem is much thicker; reduce that instead as the percentage of material removed is vastly less, and so is the reduction in strength.
wouldn't taking 0.1mm of material away from the inside of the steerer tube just make the steerer thickness the same as all the steerer tubes that are 22.2mm internal?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-09-23, 07:11 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
mstateglfd-

It's a re-sprayed Peugeot PX 10 from the late 60s or early 70s. The decals are wrong, they are early 1980s in vintage. You can infer that it's a PX 10 as the chrome faces still exist on the dropouts and the crown is a Nervex. Lesser Peugeots like the PR and PA 10 had the pressed Peugeot fork crown. The black stem may fit due to the wedge binder design rather than a cone. The sanding advice is the best or buy a Nitto stem as they are typically slightly under the 22.2 mm sizing and often fit French spec steerer tubes.

Last edited by bertinjim; 05-10-23 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 05-09-23, 09:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by bertinjim
mstateglfd-

It's a re-sprayed Peugeot PX 10 from the late 60s or early 70s. The decals are wrong, the are early 1980s in vintage. You can infer that it's a PX 10 as the chrome faces still exist on the dropouts and the crown is a Nervex. Lesser Peugeots like the PR and PA 10 had the pressed Peugeot fork crown. The black stem may fit due to the wedge binder design rather than a cone. The sanding advice is the best or buy a Nitto stem as they are typically slightly under the 22.2 mm sizing and often fit French spec steerer tubes.
Interesting, thanks.
I tjiught it might be a px10 because of the lugs, but dismissed that since I figured it was an early 80s frame due to the logo. The lack of brake housing guides seemed odd for it to be an 80s frame, but I just figured this was an early 80s frame since that was a time when frames sometimes had features and sometimes didn't.

The large weld seam on the bb shell was surprising- I figured that wouldn't be on a higher level frame. Maybe that was more common on frames from the 60s?...assuming the serial number is just the 6 digits I can see, then it's from 1962.
My geek has largely been Japanese frames and the 80s so this is for sure different.
Old 05-10-23, 01:36 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
wouldn't taking 0.1mm of material away from the inside of the steerer tube just make the steerer thickness the same as all the steerer tubes that are 22.2mm internal?
Don't think so.

The late Sheldon Brown gave the dimensions of a French metric steerer tube as having a nominal OD of 25mm (slightly less than 1") and a nominal ID of 22mm. That means the tube's wall thickness would be 1.5mm - part of which is threaded and thus already weaker than the unthreaded portion. Increasing the ID to 22.2mm would further reduce the wall thickness to 1.4mm.

In contrast, a standard ISO 1" threaded steerer tube has an nominal OD of 25.4mm and a nominal ID of 22.2mm. This means the normal wall thickness of an ISO 1" threaded steerer tube is 1.6mm.

A French steerer as designed (25mm OD/22mm ID) has a wall thickness 6.25% less than a 1" ISO steerer. Increase the inside diameter to 22.2mm and it's now 12.5% thinner.

I'd sand the stem.

Last edited by Hondo6; 05-10-23 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Likes For Hondo6:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.