Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Interesting Article on Heat Stress on Older Adults

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Interesting Article on Heat Stress on Older Adults

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 08:14 AM
teacherman62

Bikes: Cannondale R4000, F3000, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
I'm going to respectfully disagree with your statement. The salt content of our sweat can, according to some training articles, be up to 2000 mg per liter. That's nearly a teaspoon of salt. I'm willing to wager most of those former marathoners croaked due to hyponatremia, which is an actual thing, especially now that so many authorities recommend low salt intake. People stop sweating, and the myriad electrolyte-regulated processes, including but not limited to heart function, are disrupted.

I was particularly intrigued by one article that claimed one can measure one's own sodium loss via sweat, and that there is a great individual variation in this. The link can be found on a site called TrainingPeaks, if anyone is interested. I'm not a poster of links, but today's google is remarkably effective at finding items.

I've taken to leaving a bowl of water by the door for my 17 year old cat, who seems to find the AC too cold for his liking. 😉
Likes For teacherman62:
Old 07-28-23, 08:28 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I've always loved hot weather and outside of a few heat stroke incidents doing intensive landscaping work I've never had a problem dealing with heat. This summer I've been experiencing severe tension headaches with intense neck and shoulder pain the day after riding or golfing in hot weather. Doesn't seem to matter how much I try to remain well hydrated. I certainly hope this is a temporary aberration.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-28-23, 08:44 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
You do not need electrolyte replacement which is something put out by the Gatorade marketing department. The company pays the NFL teams to use their product and advertise it on the sidelines.

If your core temperature is over 103 degrees it needs to get in a cooler environment to recover. What is essential is staying hydrated to keep your blood as thin as possible and minimize the stress on your heart. Heat stroke victims have core temperatures of more than 105 degrees and then go into cardiac arrest as their hearts cannot cope.

In Phoenix the temperature of the asphalt gets up to 170 degrees. That heat is reflected back up to anyone one it whether they are walking or bicycling. Qutite a few people getting admitted to the ER with third degree burns on their feet when they have been stupid enough to go outside barefoot.

Buy a cheap thermometer and use it to check your body temperature. Nothing high tech or expensive is needed to determine your current state. And wear a long sleeved shirt and a hat and try to stay out of the sun and off the pavement.

Glad to hear you are letting your cats outside in the heat. Two many free roaming cats as it is and a few less is good for the local wildlife.
Originally Posted by teacherman62
I'm going to respectfully disagree with your statement. The salt content of our sweat can, according to some training articles, be up to 2000 mg per liter. That's nearly a teaspoon of salt. I'm willing to wager most of those former marathoners croaked due to hyponatremia, which is an actual thing, especially now that so many authorities recommend low salt intake. People stop sweating, and the myriad electrolyte-regulated processes, including but not limited to heart function, are disrupted.

I was particularly intrigued by one article that claimed one can measure one's own sodium loss via sweat, and that there is a great individual variation in this. The link can be found on a site called TrainingPeaks, if anyone is interested. I'm not a poster of links, but today's google is remarkably effective at finding items.

I've taken to leaving a bowl of water by the door for my 17 year old cat, who seems to find the AC too cold for his liking. 😉
Sweat losses are not the reason why sodium requires replacement during exercise. In the absence of rehydration, plasma sodium concentration will increase during exercise, since since sweat contains less sodium than plasma . The reason for sodium replacement is plasma dilution caused by fluid replacement. Sodium replacement slows hemodilution, but has not been shown to enhance performance much, prevent cramps, etc. and dangerous hyponatremia still occurs in people over-hydrating with sodium containing mixes. The safe and optimal equilibrium requires a modest degree of dehydration and some sodium replacement.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-28-23 at 08:57 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-28-23, 01:16 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The marathoners died of heart failure and this is the result of dehydration that results in thicker blood and the heart having to work much harder to maintain circulation throughout the body. I don't understand why this simple concept is so difficult to comprehend. People are dying by the thousands at this time and they are no dying because they are sweating and losing electrolytes but because they are becoming dehydrated and so their blood is thicker and their core temperature that is regulated by the flow of blood increases. People are dying inside their homes from heat stroke and heart failure. Do you really think that if only they had Gatorade they might have survived?

From a prevention standpoint consuming more water and monitoring ones body temperature is important. If the body temperature is over 100 degrees it indicates that the body is unable to cook itself and steps need to be taken to lower the body temperature while still conscious.
Old 07-28-23, 03:04 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
The marathoners died of heart failure and this is the result of dehydration that results in thicker blood and the heart having to work much harder to maintain circulation throughout the body. I don't understand why this simple concept is so difficult to comprehend. People are dying by the thousands at this time and they are no dying because they are sweating and losing electrolytes but because they are becoming dehydrated and so their blood is thicker and their core temperature that is regulated by the flow of blood increases. People are dying inside their homes from heat stroke and heart failure. Do you really think that if only they had Gatorade they might have survived?

From a prevention standpoint consuming more water and monitoring ones body temperature is important. If the body temperature is over 100 degrees it indicates that the body is unable to cook itself and steps need to be taken to lower the body temperature while still conscious.
Whatever.
Old 07-28-23, 03:33 PM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
I've been slowly working my way back to some bike rides while recovering from (and still dealing with) various health issues. Just in time for one of the more brutal Texas summers in a while.
At this stage, there's something about the 92* temp level that keeps me off the bike, so this means morning rides only. It's usually still in the high 90s around sundown.

One piece of simple 'add on' equipment that I've found extremely helpful in dealing with hot sunny rides is wearing a white 'sun drape' under my helmet.
They can be purchased from various places, but my wife sews and has made several for me. Mine are made from old white T-shirt material, and a strip of elastic.

They also help keep me out of my dermatologist's office.

Mine look almost exactly like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Coolibar-UPF-...17319087&psc=1

Last edited by missinglink; 07-28-23 at 05:16 PM.