Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Help: aluminum frame cracking at seatpost collar

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-23, 05:42 PM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 54 Posts

Just picked this up and noticed the cracks. Haven't had time to clean it before pics. PO was a sweaty, sweaty dude.

Anyway, I assume this will get worse, is there a way to nip it in the bud? Funny thing is the crack doesn't go all the way through to the inside. (?)

My idea is to take a hacksaw and saw down the middle of the crack and then fill the saw void with bondo. Is that nuts? Should I just drill tiny holes on the ends of the cracks so it doesn't keep going? Ride as is? Idk

You can see the crack coming out of the circle that is drilled for the seatpost clamping. The rest of it just needs to be cleaned up :/

Frame is a Cervelo Soloist and is anodized. Not worried about what it looks like after a repair.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-23, 06:53 PM
celesteguy 

After some research I see this was a common problem with these frames due to a brass insert being moved around right at the collar there. I also assume this insert is why the crack doesn't go through the frame; I am feeling the inside of the brass insert and the aluminum frame is, in fact, cracked through.

Can I remove the insert, drill holes at the ends of the cracks in the frame itself, reinsert the brass insert and be fine?

Most of what I read are people that just warrantied the frame and "upgraded" to carbon, so there's not a lot of info on actual fixes. I am not the original owner, so I can't do that, even though I think frames from this year were lifetimed.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-23, 06:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,879 Times in 2,315 Posts
What have you got to loose by trying? (you already lost by buying it).

Seat post inserts can be simply pressed in or could be bonded in. Unsure which yours is. I don't see an issue with drilling a "stop hole" just beyond the visible crack's end (beyond because the crack's real end is so fine it might not be seen) through the tube and the insert, leaving the insert in place.

I would not saw the crack wider nor would I apply a cosmetic layer over it (Bondo). If anything you want to be able to keep an eye on the crack to track it's future growth.

Before doing anything to this I would want to inspect the rest of the frame for condition. Like the BB shell or the "braze ons" for more corrosion damage. The seat clamp area crack could be only the tip of the iceberg. Andy
Old 10-01-23, 09:08 AM
celesteguy 

Thanks for your response.

I believe the insert is just pressed in. If I can remove it, I will probably do so and only drill the frame. That's my plan for now.

You are correct that I have nothing to lose since I parted this out for more than I paid for it (and could probably get a bit more for the post and forks as well) with the frameset left over. I do want to use the frameset, however.

Thanks for the advice about not sawing and also leaving the spot visible, I hadn't thought of that to be able to readily inspect it.

I'll update this week with some drilled out pics.
Old 10-02-23, 08:16 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Brass insert. Cervelo?
Old 10-02-23, 08:23 PM
celesteguy 

Originally Posted by Kontact
Brass insert. Cervelo?
Yessir
Old 10-02-23, 08:36 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by celesteguy
Yessir
Go through a local dealer and see if they'll warranty it. Cervelo is unlikely to ask for a receipt if you say you no longer have it. Having worked at several Cervelo dealers, Cervelo sometimes acts like they just want the embarrassing old failures off the road and use their warranty powers liberally. They know that their QC has been questionable over the years.

Otherwise, wrap it in fiberglass cloth and epoxy.

Last edited by Kontact; 10-03-23 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-04-23, 08:45 PM
celesteguy 

There is a dealer just north of me. Maybe I'll stop in and see what they say before I break out the power tools. Thanks