Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Global Moving

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Global Moving

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 08:28 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Global Moving

On the heels of a 2 week business trip to Nijmegen, it looks like an offer for a 1-2 year stay is a strong possibility. Cycling wise, the infrastructure and bike-friendly culture is fantastic but the terrain is boring AF. But then Belgium is just a train ride away.

It's not a done deal, and I might not like the financials, but still can't help thinking about the logistics of a global move at age 63. Like...

My recumbent has been hanging neglected for ~3 years, after serving as my main randonneuring bike for a decade. I was about to sell it, but flat windy terrain is 'bent friendly to say the least. Do I take the bent?

Aside from the 'bent, I have a hardtail, fixie, CX bike that serves as my primary commuter, Soma Fog Cutter build that's been my rando bike the last 3 years, and a new Trek Domane that will replace the Fog Cutter, relegating the Fog Cutter to gravel work with its 650b wheelset. What do I take, what do I store, and what do I (gasp) sell? We'd likely get an apartment, which I understand tend to be small.

The non-bike items follow the same pattern. Home, car, furniture, other various belongings.

Then there's the question of do I retire at the end of the stint, which is pretty attractive timing. But it's really about the bikes; everything else will fall into place.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-29-23, 09:14 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
This sounds like a wonderful adventure... assuming you've thought out all the other details like family stuff.

One idea is to sell literally everything and buy what you need once you get there. Not cheap, but neither is storing or moving things - and you've probably got too much stuff anyway.
You could probably buy an electric-assist recumbent that would be perfect!
Then sell all your new stuff in a couple years when you're ready to move back, and start again, again.
Think of it as being unencumbered.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-29-23, 09:27 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42

…can't help thinking about the logistics of a global move at age 63. Like...

I’d forgotten I was in the 50+ forum, and as I read your first couple of sentences, thinking you’re a younger individual, I was thinking “He’ll figure it out and have a good adventure.” But then I saw that we’re essentially the same age and I thought “Oye! I had enough of that during my 20 years in the Navy during my 20s to early 40s.” We (military) often try to arrange our last tour of duty to be in a region/location where we want to retire. That doesn’t always work out. But anyway…WRT to your bikes. Moving bikes with household goods when I transferred was always a bit of a hassle…packing them myself instead of the movers, to make sure they wouldn’t get damaged in transit. But, maybe choose one (type) to take with you. Then once you get to your location, if you decide you also want the other types…buy used. Three years really isn’t that long (usual approximate length of military assignment). You’ll be back with your regular bikes in no time. Good luck.

Dan
Old 06-29-23, 09:33 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Go for it. I just returned to the states after 9 months living in Germany. Though no place is without its problems, there were so many things about living in Europe, and leaving the tribulations of the US behind, that were such a relief.

For example, never once while cycling there did I have a driver do something verbally or physically aggressive. Here it happens about every other day, even though I live in Minneapolis, which is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the US. Motorists in Europe respect cyclists and understand that we have a right to be on the road.

I'm 62, btw.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 06-29-23, 11:16 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
On the heels of a 2 week business trip to Nijmegen, it looks like an offer for a 1-2 year stay is a strong possibility. Cycling wise, the infrastructure and bike-friendly culture is fantastic but the terrain is boring AF. But then Belgium is just a train ride away.

It's not a done deal, and I might not like the financials, but still can't help thinking about the logistics of a global move at age 63. Like...

My recumbent has been hanging neglected for ~3 years, after serving as my main randonneuring bike for a decade. I was about to sell it, but flat windy terrain is 'bent friendly to say the least. Do I take the bent?

Aside from the 'bent, I have a hardtail, fixie, CX bike that serves as my primary commuter, Soma Fog Cutter build that's been my rando bike the last 3 years, and a new Trek Domane that will replace the Fog Cutter, relegating the Fog Cutter to gravel work with its 650b wheelset. What do I take, what do I store, and what do I (gasp) sell? We'd likely get an apartment, which I understand tend to be small.

The non-bike items follow the same pattern. Home, car, furniture, other various belongings.

Then there's the question of do I retire at the end of the stint, which is pretty attractive timing. But it's really about the bikes; everything else will fall into place.
Will your employer pay for the cost of movement of your household goods to NL and return to wherever you designate in the U.S. or just to your departure residence. Is there a weight limit for reimbursement? These are questions that you should get firm answers for before you move or sell your stuff and/or U.S. residence. It is unlikely that any NL apartment will comfortably contain a typical American's lifetime of possessions, especially a gaggle of bicycles. I'd recommend not taking all the bicycles regardless of available storage and ride what works for umpteen Dutch cyclists, unless you want to standout as a foreigner.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-29-23, 11:30 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I'd recommend not taking all the bicycles regardless of available storage and ride what works for umpteen Dutch cyclists, unless you want to standout as a foreigner.
That's an interesting point. I brought my Canyon to Germany. Of course, Canyon is a German brand. On one of the very few group rides I did whilst there, my companions were very surprised that the bike came with me from the US. They didn't know that Canyon is marketed internationally.

But the brands of bicycles one sees in Europe are quite diverse. Treks are available and seen, though not as common as in the US. And Soma is a relatively obscure brand in the US anyway.

Shipping a bike to Europe isn't that expensive. Just a few hundred bucks. That's a whole lot less than the expense of replacing one over there.

Storage could be an issue, but where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 06-29-23, 12:30 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Since you can get all over Europe via train... the Alps are calling, the Pyrenees are calling...

100% Bucket List items.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 06-29-23, 01:05 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by Jughed
Since you can get all over Europe via train... the Alps are calling, the Pyrenees are calling...

100% Bucket List items.
Yeah, though my wife wants to travel Europe without hauling a bike and my subsequent disappearance.

But that's no different than here and now. We'll work that out.

Who knows, the VP might decide on a whim to do something completely different, as they tend to do.
Old 06-29-23, 01:07 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Will your employer pay for the cost of movement of your household goods to NL and return to wherever you designate in the U.S. or just to your departure residence. Is there a weight limit for reimbursement? These are questions that you should get firm answers for before you move or sell your stuff and/or U.S. residence. It is unlikely that any NL apartment will comfortably contain a typical American's lifetime of possessions, especially a gaggle of bicycles. I'd recommend not taking all the bicycles regardless of available storage and ride what works for umpteen Dutch cyclists, unless you want to standout as a foreigner.
Of course, that's all the non bike not fun but important details we'll work out if/when this happens.
Old 06-29-23, 01:08 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Yeah, though my wife wants to travel Europe without hauling a bike and my subsequent disappearance.

But that's no different than here and now. We'll work that out.

Who knows, the VP might decide on a whim to do something completely different, as they tend to do.
She can paint your name on the roads up the climbs and hand you bidons, ring a cowbell when you go on by...
Likes For Jughed:
Old 06-29-23, 04:01 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
1) Don't expect to be welcomed back, unless - maybe - you get promises in writing. I remember coming back to the US in my 50s and hearing my boss say to me, 'S--t! Now I have to find a new assignments for you. That was not uncommon among my colleagues.

2) Everything is negotiable. Decide how many bikes you want and how many you need. Ask for what you want. Don't go unless they agree to (willingly) give you what you need.
Old 06-29-23, 04:03 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
This sounds like a wonderful adventure... assuming you've thought out all the other details like family stuff.

One idea is to sell literally everything and buy what you need once you get there. Not cheap, but neither is storing or moving things - and you've probably got too much stuff anyway.
You could probably buy an electric-assist recumbent that would be perfect!
Then sell all your new stuff in a couple years when you're ready to move back, and start again, again.
Think of it as being unencumbered.
My wife and I have moved twice in the last 8 years, and downsized significantly each time. But in 5 years here we've re-accumulated. We've discussed the next move would be done with suitcases only. Small caveat by me that I'll ship a bike, but yeah I'm there.

The hard decisions are condo (sell, rent, leave empty), car (sell, store), and a few family heirlooms (ug). Honestly I'm leaning toward sell everything, and store the heirlooms in 8x8. That'll take some spreadsheet calculations.
Old 06-29-23, 04:43 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by philbob57
1) Don't expect to be welcomed back, unless - maybe - you get promises in writing. I remember coming back to the US in my 50s and hearing my boss say to me, 'S--t! Now I have to find a new assignments for you. That was not uncommon among my colleagues.

2) Everything is negotiable. Decide how many bikes you want and how many you need. Ask for what you want. Don't go unless they agree to (willingly) give you what you need.
I'm not saying it aloud, but 24 months is the beginning of my retirement window. I'm curious what kind of clause they'll have about commitment to stay. I'd be quite happy to come back and turn in my badge, if we stay that long. If it's just a year... even then I'd be okay walking away and working elsewhere to retirement.
Old 10-06-23, 02:50 AM
john29400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age is just a number when it comes to such exciting possibilities. This opportunity to spend a few years in another country sounds like it could be an incredible experience. Enjoying the advantages of life in a new place can be so enriching.
Old 10-06-23, 05:51 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
As someone who has had cancer, twice, and am the OPs age; what about health care and major illness? Does where you're going to have state of the art cancer/disease care? Will your health plan cover it? Will it allow you to go back to the states and get covered for top of the line treatment to survive? At the OPs age, one diagnosis can wreak havoc on cash reserves and retirement accounts. As someone who who has survived cancer and the bills that go with it, I don't want to be dead broke and forced to work at my age. Everybody is bulletproof, until they ain't.

Last edited by nomadmax; 10-06-23 at 11:14 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 10-06-23, 08:20 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I know a lot of expats here in Japan, and many use “Asian Tigers” for international moves, and not just in Asia.
Old 10-06-23, 08:53 PM
downtube42

OP here. The big guy nixed the move. Hiring a local is cheaper, and he likes to have me in his timezone to pull into meetings at a whim. Oh joy.
Old 10-07-23, 08:16 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
OP here. The big guy nixed the move. Hiring a local is cheaper, and he likes to have me in his timezone to pull into meetings at a whim. Oh joy.
Sorry to hear about that. But your bikes will be happy about it.
Old 10-07-23, 03:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan

But the brands of bicycles one sees in Europe are quite diverse. Treks are available and seen, though not as common as in the US.
You reminded me of the time I was touring on my Cannondale in Andalusia. I was sitting on a park bench dead tired after an exhausting day, wondering where a certain hostal was. A kid rode up to me to show me his Cannondale MTB. Turned out that his parents owned the hostal, and it was directly across the street from where I was sitting. That’s how knackered I was.

Don’t worry about standing out. Bring the bike(s) that make(s) sense to you.