Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Silca wax 'boiler bag'

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Silca wax 'boiler bag'

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 09:56 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
I believe that red paint makes my bike faster
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 11-27-23, 11:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Doubt away. My reading, independent tests, and my experience bring me to a different conclusion. I pay what I pay for the products I buy because I believe they work. I believe what I do because I've read the independent studies, multiple reviews, talked to cyclists I know, and I've been riding long enough to have tried a variety of products to form a baseline opinion. This isn't simply a case of "we all have opinions", but rather a case of "the available evidence points to a particular conclusion."
I’ve read the independent study…one…and find it somewhat problematic. It extrapolates a result to a point far outside of the measurement done which is fraught with problems. To make a measurement of X and then extrapolate to 5 to 6 times X is not generally accepted as a valid result. Extrapolation is basically frowned upon and certainly not much past a few percentage points past the end of the measurement. Claiming 25,000 miles as the life of a waxed chain is unwarranted without actually measuring to very close to that 25,000 miles.

I, too, have ridden long enough to a tried all kinds of (bad) products to form a baseline opinion. I have read reviews and take reviews with a very large grain of salt. I’ve talked to other cyclists and I’ve only found a few on-line who have ever claimed more than a few thousand miles on any chain with any kind of lubrication product. Not one person in real life has claimed to get more than about 3500 miles (±500 miles) out of a chain no mater what they use.

In short, I don’t find any “evidence” that points to a wild claim of 25,000 mile service life of a chain.

With all that said, I'm glad you're happy with your Gulf paraffin wax.
I don’t use Gulf wax. I don’t hot wax. I tried it many years ago and wasn’t interested in the care and feeding needed…part of that experience and baseline opinion thing. That said, I find it extremely hard to believe that the magic nano particles added to Silca wax is going to make enough of a difference to the wax as to justify the extra expense. I’m not saying that the magic nano particles don’t do anything. I can say with some confidence that the nano particles aren’t going to offer 10 times the service of a wax without the magic particles.

Finally, it’s a chain. Chains are going to wear out no matter what you do to them. Spending lots of money on chains or on chain lubricants really isn’t going to change that equation much.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-27-23, 11:10 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I believe that red paint makes my bike faster
Probably about as much as NanoPlatelet WS2 Tungsten Di-Sulfide does
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-27-23, 12:00 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Claiming 25,000 miles as the life of a .
I don't believe that number has come up in my posts. Even josh Poertner doesn't use that number. Discrediting an entire argument based on a hyperbolic number (present without attribution or context) doesn't boost your credibility.

Have a great day. Or don't. Your call.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-27-23, 12:50 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by bbbean
I don't believe that number has come up in my posts. Even josh Poertner doesn't use that number. Discrediting an entire argument based on a hyperbolic number (present without attribution or context) doesn't boost your credibility.

Have a great day. Or don't. Your call.
I thought you said you “read the studies”. This report says 25,000 km (my mistake). I find that very hard to believe given my own experience, people I know experience, and mileages reported here on the Bike Forums. I’m not saying that wax is bad nor that it’s not at least as good as oil. I can’t in good faith say that it is 3 to 4 times better than oil.

I believe in using wax. I use wax. I just don’t think it is magic.

Old 11-27-23, 12:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
At the end of the day, I've already ordered the cheapest possible crock pot, and the Silca wax. It's xmas, not time to get scroogey.

/thread
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 11-27-23, 02:00 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by RubeRad
At the end of the day, I've already ordered the cheapest possible crock pot, and the Silca wax. It's xmas, not time to get scroogey.

/thread
I’m currently running an experiment on White Lightning on one of my bikes. I cleaned the chain, measured it, and have been keeping track of the mileage between lubrication and the overall mileage. I’m measuring the chain wear as well (just a chain checker). Would you be interested in doing the same since you are starting wax. Maybe we can get some real world data.

Old 11-27-23, 02:07 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Nice idea, but I don't own a chain checker, and am generally too lazy.

This is actually a project for my wife who wants to try out waxing her mtb chain because her trail route to work in the summer (when she has a looser schedule and can ride every day instead of drive) crosses water twice and makes her chain squeaky all the time. I'm not currently planning on switching my commuter or mtb (or any of the 5+other bikes in the garage which basically never get ridden) to wax. I'm content with my homebrew mix of Bar&Chain oil + OMS, reapplying whenever I hear noise, which is less than monthly. It seems to me like waxing is more work, not less, and I don't care about dirty grease.

If it was my own wax project, I'd go with basic parrafin and keep it in a ziplog bag that I could boil on the stove. But I'm not gonna impose that cheapskate approach on her.
Old 11-27-23, 02:22 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’m currently running an experiment on White Lightning on one of my bikes. I cleaned the chain, measured it, and have been keeping track of the mileage between lubrication and the overall mileage. I’m measuring the chain wear as well (just a chain checker). Would you be interested in doing the same since you are starting wax. Maybe we can get some real world data.
I currently am doing something like that with two bikes I am using the silca wax on one and rock and roll gold on the other. both brand new ultegra chains totally degreased with the silca cleaner before installing and I can already see I like the wax 100X better so will be interesting to see if the wear rate is different altho I only have a park chain measuring tool so not real scientific. So far 700 miles on the wax and 200 on the rock and roll. Things will slow down a bit though as it is getting cold but will be probably be riding the bike with rock and roll lube a bit more for the rest of the winter. I did not have good luck on either bike using Boeshield T9 on my Canyon the first chain was worn out at 1800 miles and on the other bike even sooner. I keep them lubed and clean and do not ride in wet or dusty type conditions. I am old and fat so not like I should be stretching chains....