Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Crank angle

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 11:08 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Crank angle

So…using spare/used components I had on hand, and an old steel frame, I built up a road bike to keep at the vacation house so that I wouldn’t have to transport one back&forth. For the cranks, I ‘thought’ I had a matching set. But when checking to make sure they’re the same length, I guess I failed to make sure they’re a matching set. Upon riding the bike (at the vaca house), I noticed that the DS cranks is almost ¼ inch farther from the chain stay than the NDS crank is. Everything is assembled snugly and securely, and the frames isn’t bent. Neither of the cranks is rubbing on the BB shell, nor the chain stay. But apparently the two cranks have different angles. Nothing feels out of the ordinary when riding the bike. But is this anything to be overly concerned about?

Dan
Old 01-06-24, 12:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
More of a gap on one side than the other is generally okay and par for the course on many square taper and sometimes even with other types of BB's. But your crank arms should be 180° opposite. If they aren't square tapers then maybe you are just off a spline. If they are square tapers, then.... well that's one of the many gotcha's that rear their ugly head with square tapers sometimes. The square hole in them can be at different orientations for different brands, manufacturers or models. Square tapers came about when regions still had their own standards and no one cared if part of a crank made in another part of the world fit a crank made in their region.

Never mind, the word "angle" messed me up. When I came back are re-read your op, I see that you mean the angle of the arm going outward. Not the relation to the other crank arm orientation. But yes that too is dependant on the model and brand. On a crank with all it's own model parts that difference you are seeing is q-factor. Q-factor is how far apart the pedals will be from each other. I don't remember if it's measured from the outboard side of the hole, middle or inboard side going to the sane respective plane on the other crank.

But if only your eyes are giving you issues with it, then ignore it. Most people can tolerate a wide range of q-factor.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-06-24 at 01:18 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-06-24, 01:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Not an issue if you don't notice it when peddling. It is nice to have the distance close to the same, but older bikes get challenged when going from asymmetrical to symmetrical bottom brackets. Even factory bikes were not always consistent DS to NDS..

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 01-06-24, 01:01 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
To put some perspective, we're talking about 6mm on a vacation home bike that seems to ride fine. Nothing to worry about in my book.
Old 01-06-24, 04:57 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, with regard to the centerline of the bike, the DS pedal is farther away from it than the NDS. Can’t notice it when pedaling.

Dan
Old 01-06-24, 06:49 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
I'm so disappointed, I thought this was going to be a "Can I use a square crankarm with a diamond one" thead...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-06-24, 06:55 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
There are certainly other differences between the bike you cant even notice...

Ya change your AO ya change your bike...

Still sounds like fun, fun, FUN...
Old 01-06-24, 08:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
No unless it bothers your knees or head. My knees like my feet to be as close together as possible. If I can, I set my bikes with the left crank just missing the chainstay paint. Back in the old days (1970s) many racer bikes came with left cranks nearly that close.

Now, perhaps we of that age are living in full denial and that our warped bike fit is the blame for society's ills now andthe reason so many of us have shrinks but I will continue on in the bliss of thinking that with happy knees, all is good.
Old 01-07-24, 02:52 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, with regard to the centerline of the bike, the DS pedal is farther away from it than the NDS. Can’t notice it when pedaling.

Dan
Any chance that the NDS crank arm previously was on a bike that fell over and was bent inwards, I have seen some that were bent so bad that they hit the chain stay. If so, it may be possible to straighten (place on anvil of vise and hit center rise with a heavy hammer) or replacement NDS arm

Old 01-07-24, 07:37 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Any chance that the NDS crank arm previously was on a bike that fell over and was bent inwards, I have seen some that were bent so bad that they hit the chain stay. If so, it may be possible to straighten (place on anvil of vise and hit center rise with a heavy hammer) or replacement NDS arm
Usually the rider can feel that by a wobble in the pedal. I've seen that twice recently with Ashtabula cranks and I'm 50-50 with being able to straighten them with vise and hammer.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 01-07-24, 08:28 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Chance of the bike falling over onto the pedal/crank? That’s a high probability (in my garage). Chance that a 15-20 lbs bike bent a crank that is designed to withstand hundreds of lbs of pressure from the rider (out of the saddle cranking hard in a sprint or up a hill)? You’d have a hard time convincing me of that.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-07-24 at 10:13 AM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-07-24, 09:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I'm like 79PMooney - I like my pedals close to the frame, same distance from the frame, and with front chainline that matches the rear chainline. Needless to say, I also need my chainstays to be symmetrical. After setting up a few bikes this way (wasn't quick or easy!) I could definitely run my fastest and jump my highest. So the benefit was clearly in my head, but that doesn't mean it was not totally worth my time!

Seriously, pedaling did feel better but I don't have any rationale for why that is the case.

As well, I would not attempt to hammer the crank arm to alter its shape. If it is aluminum it might crack. If it is carbon or other composite it is very likely to crack especially as it will be given cyclical stressing (due to pedaling) after being so assaulted. Cyclical stressing can take out a stressed aluminum chainset, as well. If it is steel it will probably not be brought closer to fracture, but I would want to align the crank axle with the pedal axle after the "repair," and that just adds stress to the steel arm. Besides, you will probably never get them actually parallel without making your own jig to control the work. I had a wobbly pedal on a bike about 60 years ago, and I could not stand it.

Last edited by Road Fan; 01-07-24 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Proofreading for spelling, etc.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 01-07-24, 12:36 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
So…using spare/used components I had on hand, and an old steel frame, I built up a road bike to keep at the vacation house so that I wouldn’t have to transport one back&forth. For the cranks, I ‘thought’ I had a matching set. But when checking to make sure they’re the same length, I guess I failed to make sure they’re a matching set. Upon riding the bike (at the vaca house), I noticed that the DS cranks is almost ¼ inch farther from the chain stay than the NDS crank is. Everything is assembled snugly and securely, and the frames isn’t bent. Neither of the cranks is rubbing on the BB shell, nor the chain stay. But apparently the two cranks have different angles. Nothing feels out of the ordinary when riding the bike. But is this anything to be overly concerned about?

Dan
It's probably just a case of one or both of the arms not designed for the spindle length that it is currently on. Newer arms are designed with a curve outwards from the spindle to the pedal for more ankle clearance and to use a shorter (stiffer) spindle.

If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.

Another thing to possibly check is if the chainline is too far out. Based on the gearing combo that the bike is usually ridden in, this may cause noise/wear. Again, if not excessive, no worries.
Old 01-07-24, 12:58 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

There are a couple things. Some riders are sensitive to Q Factor and some are not.

I think Q Factor becomes more important as performance increases.

I ride more than one bike and the Q Factor of each one is probably different. Optimizing it would probably optimize my performance.

I also think the Q Factor of older square taper cranks was an accepted compromise compared to modern cranks.

John
Old 01-07-24, 02:04 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
A 1/4" difference is within the range of normal for a square-taper BB. If it doesn't bother you, it's fine.
Old 01-08-24, 03:56 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Chance of the bike falling over onto the pedal/crank? That’s a high probability (in my garage). Chance that a 15-20 lbs bike bent a crank that is designed to withstand hundreds of lbs of pressure from the rider (out of the saddle cranking hard in a sprint or up a hill)? You’d have a hard time convincing me of that.

Dan
Dan,

I am not trying to convince you or anyone else for that matter. I threw this out there as a possibility.

But I can tell you I have seen this twice, that a crank arm is bent in towards the frame on a donated bike. I can't tell you what caused the actual bending or how many blows it took to bend a crank that way but I can tell you it can happen.

The forces you are describing (hard pedaling vs a bang laterally) would seem to be very different even to this non-engineer.

Old 01-08-24, 10:05 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Not an issue if you don't notice it when peddling.
Yeah, but what about when pedaling?
Old 01-08-24, 11:34 AM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Yeah, but what about when pedaling?
LOL! That too.

I usually go back and edit out spelling errors. Missed that one.

John