Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

O-ring Lezyne Road Drive pump slips

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 03:40 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Heya,

I've been using a Lezyne Road Drive pump but recently the inner O-ring which for the piston keeps slipping off. Should i be greasing the inside of the pump or the O-ring? Or do i need to get a new O-ring?
The fit seems very loose and after every install and a few pumps i have to refit it.

O ring
Old 01-17-24, 08:00 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Yes, it needs to be greased and yours sounds like it needs replacement. You can buy a new o-ring from other sources other than Lezyne but you would have to measure it as I don't know the exact size. Their pump seal kits are pretty reasonable and include all the O-rings and rubber end caps which eventually wear out as well. INFLATION PARTS & ACCESSORIES (lezyne.com) Buy it from a shop and save on shipping.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-17-24 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-17-24, 08:14 AM
Positron400

Thanks for the reply. I greased it, and now it seems to stay in place. I've tried it on a few tyres and so far no slippage. But I recon it would be better to get a replacement from a shop.
Old 01-17-24, 08:21 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Good to hear. Probably best to replace it since, as we all know, it will most likely fail when your stranded somewhere. Mine gets used fairly often since I use it probably 2 times a month and I need to re-grease it once a year and works fine. Those little pumps generate a lot of heat and need to have grease.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-17-24, 10:46 AM
Positron400

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Good to hear. Probably best to replace it since, as we all know, it will most likely fail when your stranded somewhere. Mine gets used fairly often since I use it probably 2 times a month and I need to re-grease it once a year and works fine. Those little pumps generate a lot of heat and need to have grease.
I don't use mine all that much, but always wondered why they get so hot - thinking about it, it most definitely is a result from friction. I had the O-ring fail on my during a puncture repair. Somewhat luckily I was able to get enough air in to limp to carefully limp to the next gas station.
Old 01-18-24, 04:27 AM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Positron400
I don't use mine all that much, but always wondered why they get so hot - thinking about it, it most definitely is a result from friction. I had the O-ring fail on my during a puncture repair. Somewhat luckily I was able to get enough air in to limp to carefully limp to the next gas station.
And don't forget that the actual process of compressing any gas will cause it's temperature to rise.
Likes For redshift1:
Old 01-18-24, 09:44 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
the pump gets hot because you are compressing the air ! The zeroth law of thermodynamics.

you should replace the O-ring. As Crankycrank said above, it will most likely fail when you are stranded somewhere.

/markp
Old 01-18-24, 08:44 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
the pump gets hot because you are compressing the air !
For proof, do 120 strokes of the pump with nothing connected. Repeat while pumping a tire. Feel the pump barrel in each case. Adiabatic compression of a gas, baby!
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-19-24, 01:30 AM
Positron400

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
For proof, do 120 strokes of the pump with nothing connected. Repeat while pumping a tire. Feel the pump barrel in each case. Adiabatic compression of a gas, baby!
I love the scientific explanation! thanks you lot! Should've really thought of that myself