Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Greasing pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Greasing pedals

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 12:25 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 45 Posts
Greasing pedals

Does anyone know if there still is a grease gun that will work on Speed play Frogs?

​​​​​​THanks
Old 02-08-24, 01:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,879 Times in 2,315 Posts
IIRC the Frogs use the same needle/conical grease port that the X series did. Just about any grease gun with said tip should be able to inject into your Frogs. Now some injectable Speedplay pedals came with a no port dust cap that would either need to be drilled through and slightly chamfered to accept the gun's needle or the dust cap needs replacement with the 2nd cap version that has the port already in it.

The auto and other industries use needle tipped grease guns, auto parts stores and industrial supply companies are a good source for the guns and/or the tips. Andy
Old 02-08-24, 06:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
Andy has laid it out, but a quick summary about using grease guns.

2 conditions are required

1- an entry port and compatible gun
2- an exit point, either a hole at the other end, or bleed room at bearing seals.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-08-24, 06:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I'll add Speedplay specific advice (from riding X's since they were made with Al CNC'd bodies for the first couple of years). There's little open space inside the pedal body for grease to sit while it feeds the oil into the bearings. The bearings have very small rolling elements held in cages so, again, little room for lube to exist. The small rolling elements (rollers and balls in the original X pedals) wear faster then some do, I see many X2 and 1s with significant body slop relative to the axle.

My 4,000+ miles a year is mostly split between 3 bikes that have X-2s and I inject them a couple of times a year if I am on top of maintenance that season... Andy (who is hording X series cleats, with "luck" enough to last till he can't ride any longer)
Old 02-09-24, 06:35 AM
BobsPoprad

Thanks much! I'll try the local stores. I know I had one years ago that crapped out. Hopefully I didn't wait to long. Pedal are still smooth and I generally don't ride in the rain, etc. anymore.
Old 02-09-24, 06:37 AM
BobsPoprad

On a side.note, I found the extra set of cleats for the frogs while digging around a junk drawer!
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 02-09-24, 07:12 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I use the throw-away plastic syringes that come in my kid's liquid Tylenol. Hold it up tight to the port, squeeze until fresh grease comes out the other side. It's amazing how good it makes the pedals feel.
Old 02-09-24, 10:16 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
Thanks much! I'll try the local stores. I know I had one years ago that crapped out. Hopefully I didn't wait to long. Pedal are still smooth and I generally don't ride in the rain, etc. anymore.
Our hardware store sells a "grease syringe" with the conical tip you need for the standard Speedplay injection. You can pull the thing apart and add new grease, but if you use it only for pedals, it will last years. I'll bet any well-stocked hardware store has something similar. No need for a much more expensive grease gun.
Old 02-09-24, 11:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

One reason why I like to use an "industrial type" grease gun (mine are Phil brand but there are others) is to be able to choose the type of grease I use. When I had my shop we had a few grease guns with different tips and greases for quick use. In the past I installed the Stein Injector Kit on a few of my bikes and some customer ones too. This grease injecting set up used a small Zerk nipple in the BB shell and internal sleeve that sealed off the shell from the frame tubes. Andy