Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Encounter on the MUP

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Encounter on the MUP

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-24, 09:18 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
All this chatter about bagpipes; I would rather know what a bling corner is. An MTV Cribs style McMansion inside the apex of the turn? Or at least someone with cubic zirconium grillz?

No, but seriously, what ear buds could possibly block out bagpipes!? I need to buy a pair too.
Blind corner.

The ear buds merely took the edge off. Kinda.
Old 03-05-24, 09:26 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Great Highland pipes - meh. Uillean pipes -

My cat did not like that video. He got startled and began furtively looking around for the cat making the noise.
Likes For ralphs:
Old 03-06-24, 10:44 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My Scottish grandfather, a WWI veteran, hated bagpipes as they were used to lead troops into battle. They had bad associations for him. The pipes are supposed to terrify the opposing forces.

I was at a symphony concert a couple days ago, and there was an interlude with a couple pipers accompanied by a drummer. What a godawful racket. An affront to the ears.
I used to work for a Scot who told me that he met a German tourist (WW II vet) in Scotland and the German said they called the Scottish bagpipers "The Ladies from Hell."
Old 03-06-24, 11:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I used to work for a Scot who told me that he met a German tourist (WW II vet) in Scotland and the German said they called the Scottish bagpipers "The Ladies from Hell."
I think they used that term for any troops wearing kilts -- Scots and Canadians. But yeah, it surely would've applied to the pipers.
Old 03-06-24, 12:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I love bagpipes. My wife hates them. So I don't ever listen to pipers.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-06-24, 01:39 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Mrs. Dan used to play both Great Highland pipes and Parlor pipes. I enjoy both., but a cat we had when she was playing GHPs would howl and bat at her, then run and hide.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-06-24, 03:56 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I saw a bagpiper playing way out in the reeds at the beach on a ride once. Made my day.

Today would'a been my dad's 88th birthday. This is one of his favorite songs. When the pipes come on, it's glorious.

https://youtu.be/Plhtk_XJqhM?si=UG4xyAMS380qq1To
Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard that song in years.
RIP your dad, Denny Laine, and Linda McCartney.

Last edited by ralphs; 03-06-24 at 03:56 PM. Reason: add note
Likes For ralphs:
Old 03-06-24, 09:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My Scottish grandfather, a WWI veteran, hated bagpipes as they were used to lead troops into battle. They had bad associations for him. The pipes are supposed to terrify the opposing forces.

I was at a symphony concert a couple days ago, and there was an interlude with a couple pipers accompanied by a drummer. What a godawful racket. An affront to the ears.
I mean you have a person walking up and down the beaches at Normandy armed with a sgian-dubh (a small knife in your sock usually more ceremonial these days) and nothing else playing bagpipes wearing a kilt it is some scary doo-doo. You have to have a lot of chutzpah to do that will bullets are raining down on you and people around you are falling you are confidently rallying people to battle with nothing but a set of bagpipes bellowing out over the fog of war.

I have mad respect for Bill Millan (Lord Lovat's personal piper who helped storm the beaches). The German snipers thought he was crazy and didn't shoot at him apparently. Also respect for the folks who played people out of the trenches in the First World War absolutely mind blowing to be in that situation and playing music openly as hell is unleashing. Certainly yes I can see if you were there it can be tough but you were armed those folks had knives and a musical instrument as their weapon and weren't always advancing and might just be marching up and down while a hailstorm of lead is falling upon them.
Old 03-06-24, 11:29 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
I know a guy who learned to play the bagpipes. Occasionally he is hired to play Amazing Grace at funerals for $100
He should also learn "The Athol Highlanders" for funerals of people nobody can stand...
Old 03-07-24, 06:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have mad respect for Bill Millan (Lord Lovat's personal piper who helped storm the beaches). The German snipers thought he was crazy and didn't shoot at him apparently. Also respect for the folks who played people out of the trenches in the First World War absolutely mind blowing to be in that situation and playing music openly as hell is unleashing. Certainly yes I can see if you were there it can be tough but you were armed those folks had knives and a musical instrument as their weapon and weren't always advancing and might just be marching up and down while a hailstorm of lead is falling upon them.
I just finished reading The First Wave, in which Lord Lovat plays a central role. He was a total badass. Would go into battle dressed like he was out hunting on his estate, complete with deer rifle. He refused to cower and duck when the shots were flying, which helped inspire his men to bravery.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-07-24, 07:35 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I love bagpipes. My wife hates them. So I don't ever listen to pipers.
I used to play the pipes. My wife hates them, as well. Therefore, I couldn't play if she was around unless it was on the practice chanter or some smallpipes behind a closed door. I finally just gave it all up right around the time covid hit. Listening to recordings is also forbidden unless she is not around so I don't listen anymore, either. However, all is not lost. Right before covid hit, I discovered a family music group in Switzerland that I really like. The lead gal is an accomplished yodeler and I love yodeling. She only does it on some songs, not all of them. I do listen to them around the house while my wife is in earshot as well as play them in the car. My wife seems to be tolerant of it and, although she won't admit it, I think she actually likes some of their music. I'll take that as a win.

Oh and for those who might think my wife was too demanding, that's really not the case. Bagpipes are not for everyone and I completely understand that. In fact, she was unknowingly doing me a favor. I played in a couple of bands for a total of about six years back when folks didn't think about things like hearing protection. All of that playing and practicing indoors did the damage that eventually reared it ugly head and I have had hearing aids going on four years now. My hearing loss was estimated to be 20%, mostly in the higher frequencies. Honestly, if she hadn't kept me away from piping as much as she did, I would probably be mostly deaf now.
Old 03-08-24, 02:40 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I most definitely enjoy the occasional pipe.
Old 03-09-24, 05:50 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by TennBent
Honestly, if she hadn't kept me away from piping as much as she did, I would probably be mostly deaf now.
I’m another fan of the pipes. I’ve made 2 or 3 trips to Maxville, ON for the games. Heard some very fine piping and got to stand right outside the circle many times. But I often wore ear plugs. One year there was a terrific thunderstorm on Saturday afternoon. Grade 1 competition was suspended and everyone driven indoors. I ended up in a cow barn with one of the top bands (SFU, if I recall correctly), still practicing in case the competition resumed. LOUD but great.
Old 03-09-24, 10:07 AM
mikeoverly
Stuck in Toeclips

Bikes: https://thesearemikesbikes.blogspot.com/2023/06/mikes-bikes.html

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
We have a bagpipe guy. Only shows up on dark, rainy days and stands in the middle of a clearing. Not sure he's not a ghost.
Likes For mikeoverly:
Old 03-10-24, 10:14 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I recently took-up piccolo. Nobody encourages me. I can clear the house in 5 minutes, and call it my "give me space instrument". I understand 'the piper in the woods', and commiserate.
Old 03-10-24, 11:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Sure, but what about e-pipes? Are they real bagpipe players or wannabes? And what about their manners on MUPs? Should they be banned? Should they be dB limited?

Old 03-10-24, 02:04 PM
DangerousDanR

E_pipes are blasphemy. There is a skill to keeping the bag inflated. Those who play them should be roasted over an open fire, just like people who use any electronic groupset that isn't EPS.