Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is This A Good Tire Swap ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is This A Good Tire Swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 04:21 PM
MikeDeason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
I was wrong about one thing. According to the CaneCreek comparison chart the Gen 3 Thudbuster ST was designed for mountain bikes. The Gen, which I got , is designed for e-bikes snd urban use. Great product if you live in a city with crumbling infrastructure.
Old 03-26-24, 04:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
Dunno. This is my first narrow tire. Was told 60 is the sweet spot between mitigating the potential of pinch flats and punctures. The tire I bought is tubeless ready if I so choose.
I suggest you give this a try... https://silca.cc/pages/pro-tire-pressure-calculator

FWIW, I was running 35mm tubeless gravel tires at 40-45psi, with zero issues (I weigh 180-185lbs). I'm now running 40s at 35-40psi. This includes racing and riding over some pretty chunky terrain.
Old 03-28-24, 01:28 PM
MikeDeason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks. Very useful.

One thing I find weird is the tech at the shop where I purchased the Thudbuster was adamant that if the ride was still too stiff, run the TB with no elastometer installed. On the Cane Creek website, there is a clear warning to only run the elastometer corresponding to your weight range. The ST comes with 3; light. medium and hard. My corresponding weight would be medium but I'd like to go with running none as ride is best but the warning has me hesitant. The shop tech told me lots of guys run with none though. Don't see what the danger is, it's not like its going to throw you off the seat.