Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why aren't sprung saddles popular?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why aren't sprung saddles popular?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 02:22 AM
Shockwavesus850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alll butone ofmy bikes have sprung saddles ju9st becuase thats how i find them. most parts for my biikes vome from the local tip or somethingas being 15 i camnt afford to have great equipment. Sprung saddles a very comfy and quite releiving if you donthave supsspension ...
alex

x
Old 05-16-09, 07:44 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rykoala
I've been doing a little research on sprung saddles and it seems like Brooks is the only maker carried by most online shops. I'm interested in buying a brooks but I'm confused as to why the sprung saddles aren't heard of more often. Having only ridden a cheap sprung saddle, it was (at first impression) very comfy. I commute daily and would welcome a better saddle. Should I just go with a B17 and see how I like it or are the sprung saddles just that much more comfortable?

HELP! I'm confused. Thanks!

PS - I understand that the suckers are HEAVY. I'm not worried about that as much as comfort
I just love the sprung saddles. I use them exclusively now on all three of my bikes. I use both the Nirve and the Electra brands. I like the way they fit my curves and are so comfortable without all that stupid padding. It looks good as a fashion accessory and feels good at the same time. For more information on this important topic, see my Geocities page on it: https://www.geocities.com/folder_fanatic/Selection2.html

And photos of my bikes on Flickr listed below:
Old 05-18-09, 07:02 AM
screwdriver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Brokks B67 sprung saddle that I haven't received yet. I've read that Brooks sprung saddles that are sprung in the back as well in front has a tendency to have lateral movement. I don't think I would like a saddle that did that no matter how much it cost or what brand it is.
Old 09-04-14, 04:28 PM
justinzane

Bikes: Fuji Aloha, ...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Sprung saddles are appropriate if (and only if) a very "upright" seating position is used on the bike. If you're sitting upright, the springs are almost essential to cushion the bumps. If, however, you're on a "road" bike, where the posture is somewhat (to extremely) leaned forward, sprung saddles can't be used at all. Why? Because springs allow the rear of the saddle to sag downward, which, combined with the forward-leaning riding position, puts pressure on the tender parts of the rider's anatomy (which lie toward the front of the saddle). This combination creates numbness, tingling, and an extremely unpleasant riding experience.
I've been wondering about this myself. And, while I appreciate the thorough explanation; I remain a bit confused. Presuming one has low drops and a 0deg from horizontal (with positive indicating back-down and negative indicating front-down as seen from the right side with the bike pointing right) unsprung saddle on a road bike. Assume that a sprung saddle will have a static tilt of 5 deg with a rider's weight in normal riding position, i.e. hands in the drops, relatively forward weight distribution.

If one install the saddle at 0 deg, then the rider will indeed experience squashed genitals when riding. But, what if one installs the saddle with a -5 deg tilt -- nose down. Then, during normal riding, the will have the exact same saddle position as with an unsprung saddle. But, when the are leaning further forward, pedalling hard, etc. the saddle will rise with them keeping contact and stability longer. And, none of that unpleasant ass-smack when going over a bad road joint while really mashing the cranks.

Note, I am NOT suggesting that this is a proper or useful way of doing things. I want to know whether this would work or what the actual drawbacks are on a road-training or road-touring bike where freedom from pain is more important than the extra weight. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png
SaddlePosition01.png (78.4 KB, 319 views)
Old 09-04-14, 04:47 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Good lord you drug this thread out of the basement

Old 09-04-14, 05:12 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capsicum
Racers use unsprung saddles(monkey see monkey do) and unsprung are lighter, that is why springs are not popular. Racers don't use springs because of weight, aerodynamics, they are light in the saddle(weight is on the pedals)
This is not just wrong, it shows an utter lack of thought. Force exerted on the pedals in normal pedaling is low compared to rider weight. Common sense should tell you this, because if "cruising" force equaled rider weight then going up 30 degree hills would take minimal effort...
Old 09-05-14, 08:55 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The "tilt the sprung saddle forward to compensate for spring sag" theory seems sound to me. Level is level, no matter how you get there. The proof is in the riding. If it's comfortable, then it's good. Racers may need finer calibration for maximum output during specific tasks (such as climbing), but for the recreational rider, the proper attitude is "comfort uber alles."
Old 09-05-14, 10:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
What's even funnier is that this zombie has been dug up, stabbed through the heart, buried, dug up again, stabbed and buried. There's no meat left on the bone!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-05-14, 10:44 AM
justinzane

Bikes: Fuji Aloha, ...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truly impressive, since there ain't no friggin' basements around here. Best part of a house, missing throughout northern Cali. And Florida.

On a more serious note, does the community prefer that idiots like myself post new threads on old topics or resurrect ones from the morgue that are pertinent? I'd rather do what is preferred, 'cept I've got no idea what that is.
Old 09-05-14, 11:12 AM
Hyperventilate

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what is your opinion on the new Brooks Rubber saddle for long distance touring?
Attached Images
Old 09-05-14, 12:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by justinzane
Truly impressive, since there ain't no friggin' basements around here. Best part of a house, missing throughout northern Cali. And Florida.

On a more serious note, does the community prefer that idiots like myself post new threads on old topics or resurrect ones from the morgue that are pertinent? I'd rather do what is preferred, 'cept I've got no idea what that is.
New thread.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-05-14, 12:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike companies dont put them in the box, so when people buy a new bike, it's already on it.

then to have one they have to make a separate purchase .. is why..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-05-14 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 01:46 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A good sprung saddle provides stiction and decent suspension on rough roads. I have the Brooks Flyer on all my bikes.

Sure its heavy but its so comfortable. I feel less fatigued after a long ride.
Old 09-05-14, 01:47 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

BF's famous ghost thread. It slept in the basement five years!
Old 09-05-14, 01:49 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
New thread.
My friend, threads around here never die. People do.
Old 06-26-15, 02:00 PM
capsicum
Evil Genius

Bikes: '92 novara ponderosa, '74 schwinn le tour, Novara fusion, novara transfer, novara randonee(2), novara careema pro, novara bonita(2).

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
Quote Originally Posted by capsicum View Post
Racers use unsprung saddles(monkey see monkey do) and unsprung are lighter, that is why springs are not popular. Racers don't use springs because of weight, aerodynamics, they are light in the saddle(weight is on the pedals)
This is not just wrong, it shows an utter lack of thought. Force exerted on the pedals in normal pedaling is low compared to rider weight. Common sense should tell you this, because if "cruising" force equaled rider weight then going up 30 degree hills would take minimal effort...
"racers" and "light" != cruising, full weight [or full weight minus handlebar pressure]
Even at that, racers use about 3 times the pedal force of Joe cruiser, which is a significant reduction in weight.
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Bike companies dont put them in the box, so when people buy a new bike, it's already on it.

then to have one they have to make a separate purchase .. is why..
This is the more immediate answer. And a step out, they aren't in the box because springs add to cost, they don't have racer style, and saddles are often swapped out by serious riders anyway.
Old 06-26-15, 02:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Arrhhh!

Old 06-26-15, 09:59 PM
Wolf Dust
Anywhere I roam

Bikes: Three blind bikes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
I weigh about 180, and the springs on my Velo Orange Mod 5 saddle don't sag. They are just right and move when I hit bumps and dips. My riding position is relatively upright.
Old 06-27-15, 05:59 AM
Coop500
Mike

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Rockhopper FS, 2002 DK Fury24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-27-15, 06:51 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Sprung saddles are appropriate if (and only if) a very "upright" seating position is used on the bike. If you're sitting upright, the springs are almost essential to cushion the bumps. If, however, you're on a "road" bike, where the posture is somewhat (to extremely) leaned forward, sprung saddles can't be used at all. Why? Because springs allow the rear of the saddle to sag downward, which, combined with the forward-leaning riding position, puts pressure on the tender parts of the rider's anatomy (which lie toward the front of the saddle). This combination creates numbness, tingling, and an extremely unpleasant riding experience.

This is why "better" bikes (almost always "road" styled bikes), never have sprung saddles. The Brooks B-17, however, has the advantage of a wide rear seating area, the absence of springs that cause rear sag, and the advantage of leather suppleness, that eventually molds itself to the contours of the individual rider.

So, in a nutshell - sprung saddles (Brooks B-72 is typical) are for comfort bikes with upright seating positions, non sprung models (Brooks B-17 is typical) are for road bikes where the rider leans forward to some extent.

Hope this helped!
Great explanation. And to add to that is that Brooks also makes seats for racing bikes, the Swallow and the Swift, these are made for racing style road bikes where the rider is leaning more forward than on touring road bike where the B17 would be more desired. While you'll never find a Brooks Swift or Swallow on a professional racing bike there are those in the non professional world that either can't find comfort with a foam saddle or just want the classic look of leather that will buy these saddles. I have a Brooks B17 on my main touring bike and for me there is no other saddle on the market made of foam that works better, I also have a Swift saddle on a racing type of road bike and that saddle is also very comfortable but on a racing type of road bike I also find the Fizik line of saddles to be almost as comfortable.

I do some some limited touring and I've only seen a Brooks sprung saddle once, so I don't think that sprung saddles are all that popular here in the US but occasionally I'll see a suspension seat post, I think the suspension seat post would be a better and lighter option vs a sprung saddle, I think sprung saddles are probably more popular in the UK than anywhere else.
Old 06-27-15, 08:53 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinzane
I prefer the resurrection of old threads. It shows the person did their due diligence and searched the archives first but did not find the answer they were looking for.
Old 06-27-15, 09:03 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More important than sprung vs. unsprung is saddle shape in regards to comfort. And proper shape is dependent body position relative to the bicycle, application and distance. For the non-racer I seen no problem with a sprung saddle as long as the saddle fits properly. I believe racers don't use sprung saddles because they weigh more and at a high cadence the rider tends to bounce. And keep in mind, on any saddle, sprung or un-sprung, the rider should unload the seat when hitting significant bumps.
Old 06-27-15, 09:03 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, on the surface of it, a sprung seat post would seem to be a better option than a sprung saddle. It is lighter, but that's where the advantages end. My experience is that sprung seat posts always (not sometimes, not often, but always) fail. Sometimes catastrophically. So despite the weight disadvantage, I prefer sprung saddles to suspension seat posts.
Old 06-27-15, 10:41 AM
Wolf Dust
Anywhere I roam

Bikes: Three blind bikes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Coop500
Sprung leather saddles refuse to die...and for very good reason.
Old 06-27-15, 12:29 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Well, on the surface of it, a sprung seat post would seem to be a better option than a sprung saddle. It is lighter, but that's where the advantages end. My experience is that sprung seat posts always (not sometimes, not often, but always) fail. Sometimes catastrophically. So despite the weight disadvantage, I prefer sprung saddles to suspension seat posts.
Having never owned one, nor knew anyone who owned one other than a couple of tourists I ran into, I never heard of those seat post failing, in fact I can't even find anything on the internet of about failures that seem to be out of the normal range other than the real cheap ones seemed to have some issues. Anything that adds a moving part to something that didn't would have an element of failure to it, just not sure if the suspension seat posts are beyond would be expected. If you find something about this please post it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.