Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Blowout Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire Blowout Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-23, 08:43 PM
OldBike876

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Tire Blowout Question

So...

I built a front wheel for my aluminum commuter that I ride every day. After two weels, I removed the wheel to have a look, tweak the spokes, and so on. On a lark, when I reinstalled the tire, I tried a CO2 filler I have but have never needed.

I over filled the tire, but it didn't blow. I let the air out, refilled slightly and then left it. The next day, I took it downstairs to the bike, installed it, and pumped to the right pressure, and rode around the parkade for a few minutes to see how she worked. All was fine.

Monday morning: flat tire. Completely flat. I had a look just now and found the tube with a gash in it and the tire installed with the bead exposed. Maybe I damaged the bead installing the tire, but I think I'd notice that. Also, the bead was off the rim right next to this damage.

I have removed, patched, replaced tubes and tires many times, I've never seen something like this. Do you think I cocked it up? If so how?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-23, 08:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
OK, thanks for the photos because they told the story better than you could have in words.

It's a clear case of tire body failure. The proximate cause was probably the prior over inflation which tore some fabric. Initially it wasn't enough for immediate failure, but once there was partial failure, more threads broke progerssively,like a fraying rope, until it let go.

There's also the possibility that a brsle shoe was overhanging the rim, and scored the tire, which is fairly common, so double check for evidence of that.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-14-23, 09:07 PM
OldBike876

Hmmm, user error, as i expected. I am glad I wasn't riding it when this happened.
Old 02-14-23, 09:40 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Interesting that there is damage to both tire beads. I wonder if the beads were damaged during installation.
Old 02-14-23, 09:45 PM
OldBike876

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Interesting that there is damage to both tire beads. I wonder if the beads were damaged during installation.
That's a good point. These tires go on and off quite easily, so i have never really reefed on them.
Old 02-14-23, 09:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I suspect some form of abrasion on the tire's bead. You can see the worn/roughened bead just below the actual wire blowout. This can happen if the tire was not fully seated and than ridden. the edges of the bead sits on the rim's top edge and that rubs enough to slowly cut through the casing fibers that wrap around the wire. This type of failure is not generally a fast happening one, unless the device that caused this was particularly sharp (like a screwdriver or knife) and much of the cutting happened when the "lever" was slid along the rim, between the rim and tire bead. That the bead's rubber coating shows no abrasion above the wire blow out location makes me think it was a tool and not a brake pad that did this. Andy
Old 02-14-23, 10:11 PM
OldBike876

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I suspect some form of abrasion on the tire's bead. You can see the worn/roughened bead just below the actual wire blowout. This can happen if the tire was not fully seated and than ridden. the edges of the bead sits on the rim's top edge and that rubs enough to slowly cut through the casing fibers that wrap around the wire. This type of failure is not generally a fast happening one, unless the device that caused this was particularly sharp (like a screwdriver or knife) and much of the cutting happened when the "lever" was slid along the rim, between the rim and tire bead. That the bead's rubber coating shows no abrasion above the wire blow out location makes me think it was a tool and not a brake pad that did this. Andy

Interesting. I often use a plastic lever if need one. Serves me right for hamfisted installation, I guess.
Old 02-14-23, 10:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Oldbike876 - three points. 1) watch the tiny line on the sidewall just above the rim while spinning the wheel in your hand after mounting and inflating the tires. It should stay rock steady above the rim, telling you the bead is properly and evenly seated. And 2) with the rim properly seated you should never see the blowout, tire coming completely off the rim and jamming in the stays or fork that I had the chance to witness from the driver's seat. (It was not fun. A top five crash. Collarbone, ribs and a hard helmet hit. Acre of abrasion.

3) Rims vary in diameter. Yes not much. Tires do too. Tires age and stretch. We all know of rim-tire combos that are a bear or worse to mount. Well there are tire-rim combos that simply aren't safe. If mounting seems just too easy, maybe consider whether you actually want to chance riding that wheel. My tire in my example above was one of those too easy fits. I just threw it on because I had it and wanted to ride in town and back.

All advice to keep you off the pavement. And about your bike - it's a good one. Quietly arranged to have my incident happen when you weren't present. This wasn't the bike's fault. But maybe it had a hand in your fate. Keep it. (The bike in my photo pulled a minor mechanical 20 miles and 2000' from home. Took all the fun out of the ride. I had to baby it down the great descents. 5 miles from home the front end started bucking every time I touched brake. Both fork blades were about to snap. Cracks totaling a full "lap". The cause - a combination of decisions between myself, the frame builder and the plater. We pulled a metallurgical no-no. Bike bailed me out big time. Keeper.)

Edit: Front wheel. Mine was a rear. Front ratchets up the damage to you. Again, good bike!

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-14-23 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 10:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I suspect some form of abrasion on the tire's bead. You can see the worn/roughened bead.....

makes me think it was a tool and not a brake pad that did this.
Yes, I only mentioned the brake shoe possibility because I always double check for alternate possibilities to avoid repeat failures. Murphy's Law dictates that what I miss will bite me later on.

As for the damage to the opposite bead, abrasion is a possibility, as is water damage --- note the rust. However the over inflation remains the most likely proximate cause.

Just as a chain will fail at its weakest link, the stressed body failed where it was weakest.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-14-23, 10:38 PM
OldBike876

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Oldbike876 - three points. 1) watch the tiny line on the sidewall just above the rim while spinning the wheel in your hand after mounting and inflating the tires. It should stay rock steady above the rim, telling you the bead is properly and evenly seated. And 2) with the rim properly seated you should never see the blowout, tire coming completely off the rim and jamming in the stays or fork that I had the chance to witness from the driver's seat. (It was not fun. A top five crash. Collarbone, ribs and a hard helmet hit. Acre of abrasion.

3) Rims vary in diameter. Yes not much. Tires do too. Tires age and stretch. We all know of rim-tire combos that are a bear or worse to mount. Well there are tire-rim combos that simply aren't safe. If mounting seems just too easy, maybe consider whether you actually want to chance riding that wheel. My tire in my example above was one of those too easy fits. I just threw it on because I had it and wanted to ride in town and back.

All advice to keep you off the pavement. And about your bike - it's a good one. Quietly arranged to have my incident happen when you weren't present. This wasn't the bike's fault. But maybe it had a hand in your fate. Keep it. (The bike in my photo pulled a minor mechanical 20 miles and 2000' from home. Took all the fun out of the ride. I had to baby it down the great descents. 5 miles from home the front end started bucking every time I touched brake. Both fork blades were about to snap. Cracks totaling a full "lap". The cause - a combination of decisions between myself, the frame builder and the plater. We pulled a metallurgical no-no. Bike bailed me out big time. Keeper.)

Edit: Front wheel. Mine was a rear. Front ratchets up the damage to you. Again, good bike!
All good points.

Also, iI like to imagine the bike down in the parkade letting out it's BANG while a neighbour walks by. That'd make for a memorable night, I'm sure.
Old 02-15-23, 12:23 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
There is also the possibility of getting a defective tire. Twice I have received new tires with defective beads...

https://www.bikeforums.net/22308392-post2.html
Old 02-15-23, 05:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, I only mentioned the brake shoe possibility because I always double check for alternate possibilities to avoid repeat failures. Murphy's Law dictates that what I miss will bite me later on.

As for the damage to the opposite bead, abrasion is a possibility, as is water damage --- note the rust. However the over inflation remains the most likely proximate cause.

Just as a chain will fail at its weakest link, the stressed body failed where it was weakest.
I'm curious though, what size tire was this, and what CO2 cartridge size? A 16gm CO2 should fill a 700c tire to a non-extreme pressure, no matter the width.
Old 02-15-23, 10:45 AM
OldBike876

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm curious though, what size tire was this, and what CO2 cartridge size? A 16gm CO2 should fill a 700c tire to a non-extreme pressure, no matter the width.

It's a 700c Schwalbe... 45mm wide, I think. I used a 16g CO cartridge to fill it. I had pumped a small amount into the tube beforehand to mount everything, but that was just enough to keep the tube round. I admit that I was surprised at how quickly it filled, hence the overinflation.
Old 02-15-23, 11:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by OldBike876
That's a good point. These tires go on and off quite easily, so i have never really reefed on them.
Tire levers can be hard on the fabric at the wire bead during removal. Sometimes when you push the second lever to remove the bead, you tear the fabric over the bead. If the quality control of the tire isn’t the best, you may have too little rubber covering the bead and it tears off. It happens and not much you can do about it once the damage is done.

See the rubber on the bead that the red arrow is pointing to? If you look at the part of the tire that the green arrow is pointing to, there isn’t any rubber covering the fabric of the tire casing. This is typical of the kind of damage levers can do to the bead…even on tires that are easy to remove.

It had nothing to do with inflation nor over-inflation.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 02-15-23 at 11:21 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-15-23, 11:31 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
there are three brands of tires that i rarely reuse on a used bike rebuild... Innova, schwalbe, and continental. All three brands have a high problem rate, but different reasons for failing.
note the rusted beads,,, that tire was about to fail,and then you helped it fail by flexing that bead.

be happy it failed while you weren't riding the bike... and go buy a lotto ticket before your luck changes! :-D

Last edited by maddog34; 02-15-23 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 02-15-23, 06:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
It's a 700c Schwalbe... 45mm wide, I think. I used a 16g CO cartridge to fill it. I had pumped a small amount into the tube beforehand to mount everything, but that was just enough to keep the tube round. I admit that I was surprised at how quickly it filled, hence the overinflation.
So a 16g cartridge would approximately fill a 700x45 tire to about 30psi. At least from guestimate using this random chart

Old 02-15-23, 07:42 PM
OldBike876

Originally Posted by maddog34
there are three brands of tires that i rarely reuse on a used bike rebuild... Innova, schwalbe, and continental. All three brands have a high problem rate, but different reasons for failing.
note the rusted beads,,, that tire was about to fail,and then you helped it fail by flexing that bead.

be happy it failed while you weren't riding the bike... and go buy a lotto ticket before your luck changes! :-D
Huh, I thought Schwalbe were ok. What brands do you choose instead?
Old 02-15-23, 07:44 PM
OldBike876

So a 16g cartridge would approximately fill a 700x45 tire to about 30psi. At least from guestimate using this random chart

Weird. I didn't put a guage on it, but it was WAY over that. I must have had more air in there than l thought.
Old 02-15-23, 08:13 PM
FBinNY 

So a 16g cartridge would approximately fill a 700x45 tire to about 30psi.
We'll never know the actual pressure, nor does it matter.

First, we don't know how much was pumped before the cartridge was used, so the final pressure could have been significantly greater than the chart indicates.

More to the point, the fail pressure might have been much lower because the body plies at the bead were compromised by age, water, and/or abrasion.

What we do know from the photo is that it was caused by over-inflation ----- not necessarily according to rated load, but certainly to the tire's actual condition.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-15-23 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-16-23, 03:09 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Huh, I thought Schwalbe were ok. What brands do you choose instead?
they show up here... i don't go after tires.

i've seen several beads like the thread is about... i also see schwalbes with out-of -round and too tight issues... the contis are almost always tough to seat, or even just Get On some rims.... the Innovas can show seam cracks in a matter of weeks, can slip OFF the rims too easily if not well centered, and some cause customers to think the rims are bent due to SERIOUS side-to side wobblies, bead-seated or not.
*batch variations may deliver different results*.. which may also answer WHY the companies are having quality issues, eh?

Remember those Firestone tires that flew apart on several hundred Ford Explorers an couple decades ago? it wasn't JUST that size/style that had that problem... i had a set of Passenger all season Firestones on my Nissan truck... they Delaminated too... 4 out of 5 of that set...a nd THEN, a borrowed Subaru at a rally with Firestones had THE SAME PROBLEM, leaving us stranded for two hours in a snowstorm, During a rally... i was driving advance car that day... ProCar loaned me a road slick to get us out of the woods... in the snow... with the car's doughnut on too... in the snow. A set of Coopers the next day had zero problems, even after diving into the ditch to avoid a drunk spectator in a jacked up blazer....Trask River area, Oregon Coast Range, Oregon Trail Pro Rally, just south of the Fish Hatchery. The wet snow was 6" deep up on top of Hembre Ridge that Sunday... the problem with the Firestones was traced back to an Over-Zealous Floor Manager wanting to get a bonus and insisting Inferior Materials be used... he was warned by the workers.

Last edited by maddog34; 02-18-23 at 04:57 PM.