Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

More Good News this week

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

More Good News this week

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23, 02:59 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
More Good News this week

One of our local organizations, Flagler Cares, https://www.flaglercares.org/ contacted us yesterday morning and said we have a surprise for you.

"You know that trailer you folks have been looking for, we bought a new one for you, Can you meet us this afternoon to sign the paperwork and pick it up?"
They are also going to take care of the graphics for the outside. We were floored and in tears of joy

We have been looking for someone to donate a used enclosed trailer so we could be more efficient with our portable bike shop operations that we run 8 days a month and now our prayers have been answered. The trailer is a 6'x12' with a rear ramp door and side door. It is not for hauling bicycles but rather will be dedicated as a portable Bike shop.

We have a general idea about what we need in there as far a tools, racks and parts, etc. as we have been running the portable shop operation for about 5 years now out of our vehicles.

What I am hoping to gain here is a little wisdom &* experience from others that may have done this before along with any plans or pictures they would like to share so we can get this up and running quickly and avoid any pitfalls and do-overs. Needless to say that some of the new tooling from our recent winning of the Park Tool Community Grant programs will be going into this trailer.

We look forward to you sharing your experiences, ideas & suggestions. If you need to send us any files, please email them to TheBikeMenofFlaglerCounty.com - Thanks

Of course we will share more photos when the work is complete

Last edited by JoeTBM; 02-15-23 at 03:04 AM. Reason: tweaking the post
Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 02-15-23, 09:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
The best advise I can offer is to insure both the trailer and its contents than pick a secure location to park it. We've had a few trailer break ins locally over the years. The Boy Scouts, a LBS and a now gone get people to ride a bike effort all had their trailers broken into. Andy
Old 02-15-23, 03:02 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Non-bike specific trailer suggestion; A black trailer is going to be unpleasantly hot ("the box" in prison movies) in the Florida sun. If the donor is going to do the graphics you might suggest that they be light-colored.
Paint the roof white or aluminum for the same reason. Passive air vents. high and low. Extra style points for installing a double roof (with an insulating open air space) like on safari vehicles.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-16-23, 02:09 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The best advise I can offer is to insure both the trailer and its contents than pick a secure location to park it. We've had a few trailer break ins locally over the years. The Boy Scouts, a LBS and a now gone get people to ride a bike effort all had their trailers broken into. Andy
Agreed, High strength steel locks are already in place and insurance company notified. Thanks Andy

Old 02-16-23, 02:14 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Non-bike specific trailer suggestion; A black trailer is going to be unpleasantly hot ("the box" in prison movies) in the Florida sun. If the donor is going to do the graphics you might suggest that they be light-colored.
Paint the roof white or aluminum for the same reason. Passive air vents. high and low. Extra style points for installing a double roof (with an insulating open air space) like on safari vehicles.
All good suggestions
Picture looks darker then actually appears, but it is a dark Gray. Roof is white and it does have passive upper (left)/lower (right) vents. We are actually going to add additional roof passive vents/skylight.
Graphis are going to be white for contrast