Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

radical frame design need recommendations for builders

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 08:57 AM
vizzerdrix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

looking for a radically new design, ive been profoundly upset that the entire bicycle industry hasnt made a design ive been hoping would be made for 16 years, mostly for the fact that the frame isnt forward facing triangle 1 millimeter exactly just above the horizon, im looking for a frame thats made of wiffled(swissed) 100% pure aluminum, with distances between the wiffling based on the thickness and diameter of the frame body` so as to remain rigid when turning, something beautiful and exotic like the work of da vinci but with emphasis on function, with the back wheel being 26 inch and the front being a 24 inch(ideally .5 in ch difference instead), so the frame is tipped forward, but the rider will stand upright with cruiser handle bars with smooth and strong support of the arms at the elevation when riding at full speed, and so not hunch their back - with the logic of having a 6 speed shifter, and the overall final works being as absolutely ultra light as possible with the frame durability only being a concern as the rider applying torque and turning corners.

if i do not find a elite creator soon i will have to start works on my own design, and that will be difficult as i havea fixed salary, currently i can afford 350$ usd a month which im willing to make extensive payment plans, or i can commission one or two times 4500 usd maximum(of which i would be paying for 3 years to a loan service)

im a bicycle guru and would love to have this made, in any way it can be made. i have tons more ideas on optimization acceleration and comfort, please get with me on this
Old 08-03-23, 01:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Join the many tens of thousands cyclists, engineers and tinkerers that have come before you and who have had similar dreams. I just a day ago posted in another thread here about how refined the modern bicycle is.

I suggest reading David Gorden Wilson's "Bicycling Science" before going too much further. The frame form I think you are describing, in my mind, seems to be a better 3D modelling project than a metal/fiber working one. I wonder how much a 3D printer (that handles the material you want) costs, or how much time on one does. I might also suggest building a prototype out of easily fabricated materials (the OA torch is my hammer so brazing is my nail) to test your basic body fit, efficiency of pedaling and handling geometry before spending thousands on a grander rendition of your dream. Andy
Old 08-03-23, 04:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by vizzerdrix
the rider will stand upright with cruiser handle bars with smooth and strong support of the arms at the elevation when riding at full speed, and so not hunch their back - this
aerodynamics has shown this does not work... but draw your vision in detail, to scale would be first step

Old 08-04-23, 04:51 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Sounds like a horrible idea and you will not find anyone in the bicycle industry that would build it. Perhaps a metal sculpture artist would build something like that. Good luck finding pure aluminum tubes to build it from. There is a reason that aluminum is alloyed with other elements. Pure aluminum is very ductile.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-04-23, 07:30 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Any big deviation from normal bicycle design means that the builder would have to come up with new fixturing or work without fixturing to build your vision. It's not fun either way, and takes a lot of time. Even within normal bike parameters, most builders have designs they are comfortable building, and going outside those parameters means a lot of extra thinking and fiddling around. If a builder is full-time, it would mean putting off their regular clients. If a builder is part time, it means spending more of their limited building time on a project they don't have much emotional connection to. So that's why people don't usually want to participate in projects like this. So if you want to see this realized, find a makerspace and learn to weld.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-04-23, 10:11 AM
vizzerdrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
citings
{
n9.cl hcuho
n9.cl aharl
n9.cl tqrba
my great grandfather was orville howland flournoy, predecessor of the right family - his works are featured at the nasa space administration building as three different centerpieces. he begat alan flournoy who invented the rocket ejection seat, who begat my father james flournoy who worked in secret service as a nasa misioner.
}
>>>@Andrew R stuart id be happy to render the bicycle in bvh format for blender using a private external tool and export it asa blender project or i can convert it to any format u need to work with your 3d printer i have several structural designs that im willing to share with u including special bezier fold stretched ellipses, cross hatch truss designs and frustrum mantling which would eliminate most if not all torsion issues within the bike frame. as for pure alimunium i know at least 6 extruder companies off hand that issue 95% pure aluminum(itsa byproduct of magma mining) and at least 2 chemistry labs willing to work that into chemical grade 100% pure aluminum. if your interested it will take me an entire day to render it using the custom software.

-any builder worth 2 cents enjoys their craft and coming up with inventive solutions to problems.
-pure aliminum differs not from steel in torque integrity when both are at least 3 millimeters thick, this is not a cola can we are working with,
-my great grandfather donated me when he expired a aluminum titanium composition frame that was comparable to the pure aluminium frames ive seen at the local bike shop here in prescott valley. to be had the technology used was slightly enferior in weight and accleration due to time but the alloying process was vastly superior making it a relative bullet as it achieved maximum speeds

Last edited by vizzerdrix; 08-04-23 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-04-23, 11:46 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm a dummy, so a lot of the jargon here sounds like turbo-encabulator speak to me. But I'm subscribed to see where this goes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-04-23, 02:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Tbh, most people that build things have ideas for things out of the ordinary all their own that they will never build. I know I do. I can be convinced to work on other people's ideas for my consulting rate, which is probably too low.

I don't weld aluminum though, so I can be excused from this project

Last edited by unterhausen; 08-04-23 at 04:07 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-04-23, 06:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

citings
{
n9.cl hcuho
n9.cl aharl
n9.cl tqrba
my great grandfather was orville howland flournoy, predecessor of the right family - his works are featured at the nasa space administration building as three different centerpieces. he begat alan flournoy who invented the rocket ejection seat, who begat my father james flournoy who worked in secret service as a nasa misioner.
}
>>>@Andrew R stuart id be happy to render the bicycle in bvh format for blender using a private external tool and export it asa blender project or i can convert it to any format u need to work with your 3d printer i have several structural designs that im willing to share with u including special bezier fold stretched ellipses, cross hatch truss designs and frustrum mantling which would eliminate most if not all torsion issues within the bike frame. as for pure alimunium i know at least 6 extruder companies off hand that issue 95% pure aluminum(itsa byproduct of magma mining) and at least 2 chemistry labs willing to work that into chemical grade 100% pure aluminum. if your interested it will take me an entire day to render it using the custom software.

-any builder worth 2 cents enjoys their craft and coming up with inventive solutions to problems.
-pure aliminum differs not from steel in torque integrity when both are at least 3 millimeters thick, this is not a cola can we are working with,
-my great grandfather donated me when he expired a aluminum titanium composition frame that was comparable to the pure aluminium frames ive seen at the local bike shop here in prescott valley. to be had the technology used was slightly enferior in weight and accleration due to time but the alloying process was vastly superior making it a relative bullet as it achieved maximum speeds
I don't 3D print. I was only speculating at what might work for you. I, too, will follow this thread to see if it grows into something of substance. Andy
Old 08-05-23, 04:32 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
citings
{
n9.cl hcuho
n9.cl aharl
n9.cl tqrba
}

Sounds like you are much more intelligent and talented than any of us. I look forward to seeing what you build.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-05-23, 05:14 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by vizzerdrix;[url=tel:22973672
22973672[/url]]citings
{
n9.cl hcuho
n9.cl aharl
n9.cl tqrba
my great grandfather was orville howland flournoy, predecessor of the right family - his works are featured at the nasa space administration building as three different centerpieces.

he begat alan flournoy who invented the rocket ejection seat,
Sir James Martin invented the ejection seat.
I point this out to see if I will get in trouble for calling out posts as being generated by chatbots when the posting exhibit a certain….Je ne sais quoi .

https://sandiegoairandspace.org/hall...y%20deployment.
Likes For mrv:
Old 08-05-23, 08:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

One of the primary goals of all the large language models I'm aware of is that the answers are well organized and in proper English. <-- for example they wouldn't have written that sentence. You actually can tell if one of them wrote a post on bikeforums because of that, Most of us don't work that hard when we post. Spammers probably wish they could get a LLM to spit out more natural sounding posts. They usually sound like a press release.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-05-23, 11:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

There are open source LLM that can be modified. I imagine there's a spammer org trying to make posts seem more natural. They sure waste a lot of effort on this place, even though we have fairly good defenses.
Old 08-07-23, 04:49 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
Rider stands upright with arm support and holding cruiser bars = . What provides the forward propulsion? If propulsion is from a motor, isn't this an oversized scooter? Pure AL is not a suitable material unreinforced.

Like this kinda? With bigger wheels?
Old 08-07-23, 09:07 PM
Eusam
Whippersnapper

Bikes: 1987? Diamondback Ascent, 1987? Stout, 2023 Bike Friday, 2012 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
I think he basically wants this bike, but with a derailleur hanger and made from "100% pure aluminum": https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/my-2...-score.112366/
I think we've all been missing out by settling for bikes made of inferior, watered-down "alloys". "100% pure aluminum" is going to revolutionize the bike industry, I am sure of it. Once this gets out, carbon fiber be obsolete.

Last edited by Eusam; 08-07-23 at 09:10 PM. Reason: link
Old 08-08-23, 07:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I can't decide if it's more like a Rans pedal forward bike rotated so the rider is upright, or an eliptigo as already mentioned. Whatever it is, I'm fairly confident the OP's design has already failed in the market, and he just didn't search hard enough to find that out.
Old 08-08-23, 08:12 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Well, the suggested bike (the CNC Rails) is not at all what I thought the OP was describing.

I paid loose attention to the Low Rider movement back in the early 1990s and always found the "concept" bikes at the industry shows to be interesting. But I place a very high value of being able to ride any bike I have/make AND have a blast when riding it. The vast majority of these types of bikes I see would not be fun to ride past the end of the street. Andy
Old 08-09-23, 08:58 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
There are open source LLM that can be modified. I imagine there's a spammer org trying to make posts seem more natural. They sure waste a lot of effort on this place, even though we have fairly good defenses.
And we appreciate that!! Thanks!
Old 08-16-23, 12:11 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
Sir James Martin invented the ejection seat.
I point this out to see if I will get in trouble for calling out posts as being generated by chatbots when the posting exhibit a certain….Je ne sais quoi .

https://sandiegoairandspace.org/hall...y%20deployment.
I’m thinking something is up with the OP also.

”I’m so smart. My idea is great…”

I’m thinking then wouldn’t OP have enough money to take his idea to a fabricator to have it built?

I really admire the skills in this section. But I don’t think they’re necessarily all that unique. IE, if someone can put together a race car, drag bike, aerobatic airplane, etc and have it all lined up good enough in the end, I don’t see why a bike frame would be an extra ordinary challenge.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-16-23, 07:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think there are posts in this thread explaining the problems that the op faces. And I think you are underestimating what's required to build a bike frame. It's not really worth going into why people have had problems doing it, the list of challenges is quite long. Just as one example, there have been a lot of growing pains when very experienced people that are used to building rim brake road frames started building disc brake frames. It doesn't appear that the OP can really define what they want done well enough to give anyone an idea if they want to work on it. That's a pretty clear sign it's never going to happen. In the words of anyone who thinks they have a great idea that nobody wants to build, "it should be easy for you." Or as the OP stated it, "any builder worth 2 cents enjoys their craft and coming up with inventive solutions to problems."
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-17-23, 10:04 AM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I love it when genius designers are slightly or very annoyed that dumb hacks can't execute their brilliant ideas.
Likes For Canaboo:
Old 08-18-23, 06:51 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I’m thinking something is up with the OP also.
Opening a post with an indecipherable 189-word run-on sentence is usually a tell IME.
Old 09-20-23, 11:42 PM
vizzerdrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
__

Last edited by vizzerdrix; 09-20-23 at 11:51 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 09-20-23, 11:50 PM
vizzerdrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes that bike is quite excellent , i am looking for a single frame dual tire bike though jsut like that

do you know someone who makes those types of frames? i have increased my my budget margin to 550$ a month for free spending and will be gaining an extra 50 or more two months from now.
my only suggests would be to rotate the main frame pyramid so that it points to the forward vector of the active front wheel - aproximately 42 degrees down to point point, and make the front fork ever so slightly lower then the rear. so u don have to underpressure the front tie for thrust and drag gains,

+@__________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___
on another tangent so as to not multi-post, for ebikes i have a personal preference of shaving every last gram of excess weight
>just finished removing a bunch of dead weight in internal wires, cable bundlers, and exegetted about 2 pounds of cable that was actually causing impairments to the bike controllers logic{feedback from chrome plated power gauge, led lights(light emitting diodes) that were rated 9 volts instead of what should be at .5 or .3 volt, and the baseball bat brain who designed the bike -goplus- had actually samwiched the controller circuit board DIRECTLY to a aluminum heat sink sealed box(the active sodder joints were literally shorting and arcing through the aluminum when initially charging) which was ALSO in a sealed waterproof container making the heatsink dead weight at best, and to top it off the super thin wire for the fuse was INLINE for both the charging and the running of the bike when there is already a fuse in the charger - so i bypassed that completely and used the thick bushy copper and swizzled them together } +side note on that they should include a fan on the charging unit like absolutely every high energy charger has; a cheap low watt high speed propeller fan or even a motor made from a electric razor would be perfect. make sure you read that again 27 volts of led diodes, just to indicate battery usage.

-and i was glad i made those changes ); did a test run and it not only charged in 1:45 minutes( i periodically checked on the bike during charging because i was nervous of my modifications) instead of the minimum default hours and had actual gains riding with an extra 10 minutes of ride time back and forth to my local super market at night. (btw ebike manufacturers fill free to throw some green backs at my paypal account -zippodeanatyahoodotcom-)

Originally Posted by ericoseveins
Opening a post with an indecipherable 189-word run-on sentence is usually a tell IME.
actually is it goes im also a white hat that goes after black hats and yes people are selling darknet bots (such as aris bot, botgear, and "5 7" )for various nefarious purposes usually for hazing, so i can understand your paranoid about it; which i have been snaking down to destroy from the darkweb using a .tor nuking technique that only i will keep privately
-wordiness is not a sign of being a bot, moreover you should look for common repeatable phrases that would make sense someone has said in the past, cause thats how they "train" the v.i.
Old 11-23-23, 08:13 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,412 Posts
Pics of the aluminum titanium composition frame or it never happened

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.