Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Continental Grand Prix 5000 clincher

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 09:19 AM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Thoughts on this tire?

Thinking about getting a pair of these for my road bike. I ride about 50 miles per week on flat terrain. Trying to keep the weight down.
Old 08-05-23, 10:21 AM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
Thoughts on this tire?

Thinking about getting a pair of these for my road bike. I ride about 50 miles per week on flat terrain. Trying to keep the weight down.
If your riding on the flat, I don't understand why weight we be much of a concern? There seems to be some different types of GP 5000's, I ride GP 5000 S TR 28 mm setup tubeless. I like them a lot., They have perhaps the lowest rolling resistance as reported by www.bicyclerollingresistance.com .

Not sure about weight compared to others, but the low rolling resistance likely is much more significant than weight, even if you were climbing. I've only be using them for about 4 months but have about 2,000 miles on them and they are wearing much better then I expected. I've worn our other tires in less than 2,000 miles, And the wear marks on these are still very clear. So, I'm sure I'm good for another 1,000 miles minimum if not another 2,000. Perhaps it makes sense. If they have low rolling resistance then they aren't absorbing energy which in part could be going into wearing them away. FYI, I'm a heavy rider at about 210 lbs.

They also seem to be pretty tough. I'm not getting too many cuts in them and none that are concerning. Even running tubeless, I not sure I've even had a puncture riding that left sealant on the bike. I pull thorns out of them after every ride, and will leak a little sealant for a moment. So, again they seem pretty good on the puncture resistance. But, this could just be dumb luck too.

They also mount easily to the rims I have. I have no other experience with other tires on these rims, so I can't say if this is due to the tires not being aggressively tight or the rims being slightly small. But I don't recall reading that these are known for being difficult to mount.

Only downside, they are pretty expensive. I'm keeping an eye out for sales as I expect I'll be using these tires for a while.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 08-05-23, 11:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4419 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Thoughts on this tire?

They are a pretty competitive choice. My only recent experience is with tubeless 30 mm GP5000S TR and I really like them. They strike a good balance between durability, comfort, grip and speed. What tyres are you currently using?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-05-23, 01:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,812 Times in 3,320 Posts
Why do you think they wouldn't be? Many of us have used GP5000's of the various sub models for many years. Mountains, hills or flats, they roll well, handle well and will provide a softer ride than many of the heavier cheaper tire you can get. As long as you don't live where goat heads and other thorns are common, they'll be fairly puncture resistant. Just don't run the sidewall up against anything. The sidewalls are thin. Which is one of the reasons they roll well and provide a softer ride.

I've used them on my bikes for the last 5 or more years..
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-05-23, 01:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22601 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Fine tire. Depending on your rims may be a challenge to mount.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-05-23, 02:07 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Why do you think they wouldn't be? Many of us have used GP5000's of the various sub models for many years. Mountains, hills or flats, they roll well, handle well and will provide a softer ride than many of the heavier cheaper tire you can get. As long as you don't live where goat heads and other thorns are common, they'll be fairly puncture resistant. Just don't run the sidewall up against anything. The sidewalls are thin. Which is one of the reasons they roll well and provide a softer ride.

I've used them on my bikes for the last 5 or more years..
They are indeed a rock solid value and much better tires than the Vittoria. Their contenders are the Michelin Pro Race and the Hutchinson Fusion 5 All seasons.
Likes For georges1:
Old 08-05-23, 02:53 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Fantastic tires: fast, adherent, and durable. A pain to mount when new.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-05-23, 03:37 PM
Biker Pete 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
They are a pretty competitive choice. My only recent experience is with tubeless 30 mm GP5000S TR and I really like them. They strike a good balance between durability, comfort, grip and speed. What tyres are you currently using?
I bought a used 2016 Kestrel Legend SL that has Continental Gator Hardshell on the front and Continental Ultra Sport on the rear, both 700x23. Wheels are Zipp 202 Firecrest. I can’t say I necessarily *need* new tires but I can certainly justify it cuz putting on tires of my choosing will make the bike more ‘mine’ haha!
Old 08-05-23, 04:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Is it now the cycling vernacular that we say "clincher" to mean a tire that will have a tube, and "tubeless" to mean a tire that will not have a tube? Is that the case here?

I always understood that tubeless tires are also clinchers.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-05-23, 04:45 PM
Biker Pete 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is it now the cycling vernacular that we say "clincher" to mean a tire that will have a tube, and "tubeless" to mean a tire that will not have a tube? Is that the case here?

not sure. I’m stuck in the 70s when there were clincher and tubular tires. Anywho, my wheels require that the tire has an inner tube…..they are not ‘tubeless ready’.
Old 08-05-23, 05:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22601 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts

I think so, “clincher” means with a tube, tubeless is clincher tubeless, and tubular/sewup is tubular.
Old 08-05-23, 06:30 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
"Clinchers" are tires with a strong bead of rubber around the two edges which catches (clinches) on the sidewall of the rim fitting into it, a tubular tire is glued to a tubular rim so has no need for the rubber bead on the sides of the tire or the mounting sidewall for the bead to fit into.
Old 08-06-23, 01:20 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
There are faster tyres, and there are also more durable tyres, but the GP5000 range strikes an almost perfect balance (in my opinion).

Essentially, yes. These days most people do mean that, when they say either clincher (needs to run a tube) or tubeless tyre (no tube, but can if you want).

Also yes, in that a tubeless tyre is still technically a clincher tyre. 🙂
Old 08-06-23, 01:24 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
They are indeed a rock solid value and much better tires than the Vittoria. Their contenders are the Michelin Pro Race and the Hutchinson Fusion 5 All seasons.
Which Vittoria? The new Vittoria Corsa Pro has replaced the Conti GP5000TL as my favorite tire.
Old 08-06-23, 05:07 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Which Vittoria? The new Vittoria Corsa Pro has replaced the Conti GP5000TL as my favorite tire.
Yes ,the Corsa Pro. For all my race bike projects went with the purchase of the Continental Grand Prix 4 seasons .

Last edited by georges1; 08-06-23 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-06-23, 06:07 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
If your riding on the flat, I don't understand why weight we be much of a concern? There seems to be some different types of GP 5000's, I ride GP 5000 S TR 28 mm setup tubeless. I like them a lot., They have perhaps the lowest rolling resistance as reported by www.bicyclerollingresistance.com .
Because all things being equal, lighter tires handle better. More nimble, quicker acceleration, more responsive steering, etc. Rolling resistance is more of a factor over the entire ride and can reveal total watts needed to complete that ride. It says nothing about the handling characteristics of the tire.

But all things are never equal, and there are certainly tradeoffs. I'm sometimes willing to sacrifice a bit of handling in return for better puncture-resistance, for example. I find my GP5000s (tubed, 700x25c) to be a great balance of performance, handling, and reliability. I'd buy them again.
Old 08-06-23, 06:26 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I use the Continental GP5000 clinchers. I will tell you that on every group ride, whenever we hit a downhill section and are coasting, I have to pump my brakes often to keep from running up on the rider in front of me. Lowest rolling resistance of any tire I've ever used.
Old 08-06-23, 06:48 AM
bpraditya

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thoughts on this tire?

I gotta share my awesome experience with the Continental GP5000 clincher tire. So, I mounted it only on the front wheel of my fixie bike (didn't want crazy grip for skidding), I felt that insane grip on the road. Total control and confidence, especially when taking sharp corners. The low rolling resistance turns every ounce of energy into pure speed. GP5000 can also handles wet roads. Rain or shine, the grip stays rock-solid, and I can keep my pace without a worry. So my advise is to get yourself the GP5000, you won't regret it!
Likes For bpraditya:
Old 08-06-23, 06:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Their contenders are the Michelin Pro Race and the Hutchinson Fusion 5 All seasons.
Michelin ended the Pro line in ‘19 when the Pro 4 Race was replaced by the Power Road, which itself was replaced in ‘22 by the Power Cup as the range-topping road race tire and thus making Power Cup the most direct competitor to Conti GP5kS.

Similarly, Hutchinson’s Fusion 5 Performance is their top of range road race rubber, making that tire a more direct competitor to GP5kS than the Fusion 5 All Season.
Old 08-06-23, 07:57 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I have GP5ks on one bike, and another has a GP4kS2 on the rear. Coming from running Vittoria Rubinos, these things just. won’t. die. Replaced the previous GP4kS2 at 3k miles due to a sidewall cut - tread was still great. The entry level OEM Ultra Sport 2 that’s been doing front tire duty for 4k miles still has its wear dimples. The bike with GP5ks only has a few hundred miles on them (this is the bike that used to run Rubinos), but the ride is definitely more supple, and noticeably less draggy feeling than the Rubinos on 1-3% grades. That said, I feel like the Rubinos stuck better on fast descents.

I also have Michelin Pro4 Endurance on a third bike, which was all I could find in 2021. It might be the frame, but those tires seem to ride just a bit more stiffly than the Contis, though no complaints about wear, traction, or rolling resistance after ~1k miles.
Old 08-06-23, 09:27 AM
Biker Pete 

Originally Posted by bpraditya
I gotta share my awesome experience with the Continental GP5000 clincher tire. So, I mounted it only on the front wheel of my fixie bike (didn't want crazy grip for skidding), I felt that insane grip on the road. Total control and confidence, especially when taking sharp corners. The low rolling resistance turns every ounce of energy into pure speed. GP5000 can also handles wet roads. Rain or shine, the grip stays rock-solid, and I can keep my pace without a worry. So my advise is to get yourself the GP5000, you won't regret it!
Have a pair arriving soon.
Likes For Biker Pete:
Old 08-06-23, 09:58 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Fantastic tires: fast, adherent, and durable. A pain to mount when new.
Yes, very nice tires. I like the wear indicators: a pair of small pits in the center of the tread. When these are worn away, the remaining tread is paper thin. (By that point, I'm starting to see the tire fabric showing through the tread, too)

Some years ago GP4000 and GP5000 were quite easy to mount. Now they are more difficult, on the same rims. I have "tubeless ready" rims, so the bead snaps into a channel with a loud POP! when the tire is inflated the first time.)
I have the most difficulty popping off the first small section of bead. Pulling across the tread with 4 fingers, or pushing with two thumbs: neither works for me. Warming the rim and tire bead with a hair dryer on a short section of rim did work for me. The rare flat (once every couple of years) seems easier too -- perhaps the flexing while riding is helpful.
Old 08-06-23, 10:40 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
...Also yes, in that a tubeless tyre is still technically a clincher tyre. 🙂
I must not have been clear in the above post, tubeless tyres are not clinchers, here and in Adelaide SA where I spent a couple years. Like Eric F I have also switched from the very good GP5000 to Vittoria's Corsa Pro, here is Vittoria's explanation of the term "clincher" with their 70 years in the bike tire business:
Old 08-06-23, 11:34 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I must not have been clear in the above post, tubeless tyres are not clinchers, here and in Adelaide SA where I spent a couple years. Like Eric F I have also switched from the very good GP5000 to Vittoria's Corsa Pro, here is Vittoria's explanation of the term "clincher" with their 70 years in the bike tire business:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htPFH_QLwGg
Yes, and they say that Clinchers also include tubeless tires. They are not however Tubular tires which is what the video is about.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-06-23, 11:39 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
totally tubular

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.