Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Posts for Suntour Roller Cam Brakes

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 05:48 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts

Anyone know where I can get the frame posts for Suntour roller cam brakes? They are different from the canti posts I have in stock.
Old 10-12-23, 06:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
How different are they? You can't modify canti posts? I cut up a frame with U-brakes not that long ago. I recall the posts were very similar to canti posts.

There are some on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154752749562?
Old 10-12-23, 07:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
I also believe that the roller cam posts are the same as U brake ones. I also might have some in my stash. Andy
Old 10-13-23, 05:39 AM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Roller cam studs are similar to canti mounts, but the canti posts have a shoulder on them that does not work with the roller cams. I didn't realize the u-brake mounts were compatible with roller cams. I found u-brake mounts at planetbmx and they sure look the same as the mounts for the roller cam brakes.
Old 10-13-23, 06:31 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Roller cam studs are similar to canti mounts, but the canti posts have a shoulder on them that does not work with the roller cams. I didn't realize the u-brake mounts were compatible with roller cams. I found u-brake mounts at planetbmx and they sure look the same as the mounts for the roller cam brakes.
They are the same. I once installed a U-brake on a bike that had come equipped with Suntour roller cam brakes.
Old 10-13-23, 11:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I imagine you could use the braze ons for centerpull brakes. Grand Bois and Rene Herse sell them.
Old 10-13-23, 01:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
I have 3 bosses for U/roller brakes, no idea where the 4th went... that I can offer up. PM me. Here's a shot:

Quite different from the DC center pull bosses I also have. For someone with a lathe most any of the various types of bosses are not hard to duplicate (will have round bases). Andy
Old 10-13-23, 04:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I found a listing for roller brakes with only 3 bosses too. Must be something that happens.
Old 10-15-23, 09:48 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Coming in late, but if anyone still needs some and can wait, I have an infinite supply at my current rate of using them up, zero per decade. Let's say shipping plus $10 per set of four. Cheaper deal possible if you buy all that I have, which is probably at least 4 sets, have to get home to look at the bag. All that I have would fit in a small flat-rate box.

They are larger diameter where they pass thru the brake, which is why you can't use canti or DiaCompe or Mafac c-pull bosses. Not in my hands at the moment but I think probably 9mm. Oh I guess maybe canti bosses could be used with a (bronze?) bushing but it would be only 0.5 mm thick if I'm right about the post being 9mm.

I won't be able to ship them until some time in November though.

FYI, the posts for the original rollercams from WTB were completely different, not even metric. But U-brakes and SunTour rollercams do take the same posts.